Author Topic: A couple of suggestions  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
A couple of suggestions
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:12:06 pm »
Hey I'd like to suggest some changes/new features to the newest soldat version, here we go:
Suggestion: Remove the knife throw delay right after being spawned
Reason: First of all let me explain what I mean. Imagine a situation when you are being spawned in the lower level of ctf_Ash, and your base is filled with spawners. As soon as you respawn you take out your knife and want to throw it at these guys, but it cannot be thrown for a short while. After this time has passed you are already dead as spawners are using chainsaws. I find this very annoying though. It will help a lot dealing with spawning. Delay as it is has been added in the previous version in soldat(no idea why). I really look forward for this.

S: Add "/tempban id time"
R: It would be much easier to deal with players who do not follow the servers rules. For now we do not have much of a choice as we can only  /ban id (30 days ban) or use ARSSE or Baka to time ban a player. But as Soldat works better when there are no backround programs running(atleast for me) it would be great to have such a command. (We do have a ban time command but it requires inserting players IP which may be a bit difficult during the gameplay), And yes I know there's a script for it(I use it on my servers) but hell we all know scripts may overload the server and cause memory leaks.

S: Add a server-side anti flood protection
R: I'm sure quite a lot server hosters have been through problems with server flooders. Yes I do realize that it can be solved with just a litlle help of firewall, but not everyone has access to that kind of tools. Nowadays soldat's server can be crashed within minutes, the crashing process itself doesn't even require much of an effort. You just type in the IP, hit the button and let the s**tstorm begin. I find this bug really annoying aswell. There's a built-in firewall occuring on player join(when the server is full), perhaps you can use it us a basis for creating anti-flood protection also on join game.

S: Add a server side auto restarter.
R: As we all know soldat server's tend to crash far more than we expect them too(way more often when you host a script-based gamemode). It would be great to have an auto restarter(SARS perhaps?). However it should be up to server hoster to enable or disable it.

That's all for now, if I come up with more suggestions I'll make sure to post them here. Discuss
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:21:52 pm by Bonecrusher »

Im chill like that

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Re: A couple of suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:17:38 am »
Suggestion: Remove the knife throw delay right after being spawned

This is a feature I too find rather annoying. The problem for me is that if you start throwing the knife before the shield time (whatever) has passed, the throwing power is nullified even if you release the key after the time has passed.

I'd say the best way to deal with the issue is to make it so that if you release the key before the time has passed, the knife won't fly but if you release it after, you'll have a proper throw.

This is just a compromise, though. Truthfully speaking I'd prefer it the way it used to be. I can't really see the reasons behind the change, I mean nobody (at least in the competitive community) complained.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:30:33 am »
As Shoozza told you - don't make big topics with many suggestions. Most of the people will say that they CBA to read it.

Other than that:
Ad.1. I see nothing wrong with it.
Ad.2. Agreed. Maybe to make things easier for devs - add command /tempbanid to distinguish it from tempannig with IP.
Ad.3. It seems that players like my server as they didn't crash it yet. Anyway, F12.
Ad.4. Kinda useless. It can be dealt in other way.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 09:03:43 am »
As Shoozza told you - don't make big topics with many suggestions. Most of the people will say that they CBA to read it.
Well there is just 4 suggestions so was I supposed to create a different topic for each of them? That will realy piss off mods I guess

Other than that:
Ad.1. I see nothing wrong with it.
Maybe you have not experienced this yet, try to play on public knife only server or even snipe n slice.
Ad.4. Kinda useless. It can be dealt in other way.
But still it would be easier to just enable/disable auto restart then configure scripts on your own.

Im chill like that

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:36:57 am »
One more thing: Warnings appearing on players screen before a pingkick.

Im chill like that

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 09:53:32 pm »
You mean you'll see warnings by the server some minutes before the pingkick? Yeah, good idea.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 03:31:40 am »
And if you make suggestions half way through a thread, the chances it will be found are even slimmer.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:06 am »
S: Remove the knife throw delay right after being spawned
I hate spawners, so anything to stop them is a good thing imo.
However, seeing that most spawners are idiots anyway, it shouldn't be too difficult to wriggle away from them on most maps. I think it's a good idea, but not completely necessary.

S: Add "/tempban id time"
More options for admins - good thing. I would possibly suggest keeping the command as /ban id [time], so that it isn't a new command to learn. If no time is input, a default value is taken for the ban, but if a time is input (?in minutes?), then it will ban them for that amount of time.

S: Add a server-side anti flood protection
Most servers have scripts etc that kick flooding players, so I think its worthwhile to add it as a proper feature.

S: Add a server side auto restarter.
I think if you're an eager admin you'd be around enough to restart it manually :L
I have had no experience with server scripts etc, so it's hard for me to pass comment on this one.

F12. Gives time to close other programs to improve it possibly, and it's always nice to be told.
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 05:28:52 am »
Don't know about the knife one, the remaining ones are good suggestions, as for this one:
Big F12 for this.

Being cursed to play in high pings(fortunately, usually 200-300) due to my location, I may end up walking into a server which has a pingkick system, neither knowing it nor knowing whether my ping is within the limit or not, and all of a sudden in the middle of playing, I just get kicked. It's annoying.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:43:58 am »
Don't know about the knife one, the remaining ones are good suggestions, as for this one:
Big F12 for this.

Being cursed to play in high pings(fortunately, usually 200-300) due to my location, I may end up walking into a server which has a pingkick system, neither knowing it nor knowing whether my ping is within the limit or not, and all of a sudden in the middle of playing, I just get kicked. It's annoying.

I remember suggesting it somewhere earlier. Basically all the suggestions here were suggested before.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."