Author Topic: A community appeal.  (Read 11502 times)

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
A community appeal.
« on: December 11, 2010, 01:23:42 am »
The new developers have a lot of work to do fixing the many issues in Soldat. And while this change in development is exciting to see, I think it’s safe to say that a new version of Soldat is more than a few months away. And when it comes a huge portion of the changes, will be fixes and they will be in the code; not seen. There’s a lot of work to do before they can start playing around with Soldat and add new fun things to it. So I am asking the community, everyone to help… with some fun things. The things the devs won’t get to for months we can do now! What I'd like the community to start with is a few polishing projects. Fill in the things that Title games have that Soldat does not. Make Soldat LOOK appealing to new comers. I want to see Soldat to reach it's highest again (I think it was 400000 players?) and go higher!

The projects at hand:

Tutorial: Design a simple, tutorial that explains the simple (how to shoot and fire the LAW), to more advanced (advanced movement, climbing and understand the depth Soldat has in its game play.) things Soldat. This will WELCOME new comers to learn to play Soldat and stay… because they know what the hell they’re doing! I want to help with this myself. I have some ideas so if you’re interested in helping me contact me. (ME + 1 or 2)

Redesigned and reorganized menus: A mod-able menu topic came up a little while ago. It raises the point that the current default menu is ‘old and boring’. Remember, the menu is the first and last thing new plays see. We want Soldat to leave a good impression on them… that way when exiting they don't go to ‘Add or remove programs’ right after! A competition should work good, in gathering lots of submissions. (Open to anyone to start the competition, include clear rules.)

Story mode: Let me talk! I know this has been discussed many times before BUT every time it’s done wrong and fails. Why? Good idea, executed by idiots!! Most who want, talk about, or try to make a story mode have too many predispositions to what it should be. They are unrealistic and the sadist thing, they try too hard. Before I tell you my envision/plan let me start off by saying that it should NOT be taken as or called “Story mode” per say. It will be more of mini story, adventure thing. It’s not novel like compelling story driven “Story mode” Story mod. (I mean this is SOLDAT. Kill everything that moves, no reason for it!) It’s short, EVENT driven… adventure, thing... It will be repayable, fun and AMZING! What will you be doing? What you’ve been doing in Soldat: kill everything that moves, then move on (to the next level!). There will be events though out like: Kill everything that moves till there’s no one left. Kill everything that move with a sniper from really far away, don’t die, don't let me die, don’t let him die, make sure he dies, wait here for extraction… and don’t die... oh wait, oh s**t mortar strike, find cover! As you can see I have lots of ideas for this too (I’ve got 63% planed out…) I want to just “draw out” what Story mode will be then show it to the devs. I need their help to make it work anyway (some custom coding). So again I need help, let me know if you can. (Me + 3 people)

Advertise: This one’s easy. Tell everyone about Soldat. Also this is a two part project (See logo). (Everyone)

Logo: A simple, reusable logo that Soldat fans can put any where and everywhere. Kind of like the Soldat t-shirts. Oh yeah there are Soldat T-shirts push those more! http://soldat.thd.vg/en/shirts (Anyone)

I want to keep adding more projects to the list. There is a lot WE can do to help. So, what can we do... ...? (Ideas?)

Again this is a community effort, we need everyone on this.

Lets get organized and lets get to work.
-Vehicle Destroyer-
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:04:19 am by vehicledestroyer »
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Re: A community appeal.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:08:21 am »
Tutorial: Design a simple, tutorial that explains the simple (how to shoot and fire the LAW), to more advanced (advanced movement, climbing and understand the depth Soldat has in its game play.) things Soldat. This will WELCOME new comers to learn to play Soldat and stay… because they know what the hell they’re doing! I want to help with this myself. I have some ideas so if you’re interested in helping me contact me. (ME + 1 or 2)

I like that Idea too, and this could too show playmodes of soldat. It could too filled with a story, so story mode isn't needed at all. Like those pictures over this text. It would start with deathmatch, show basic movements, and in the end, is climbingmode, and some realistic map on it. My english is limited, so I can explain more for my visuals when quested.

About the logo, how the hell you think we could put our logo everywhere? Yes, what's your way on that? Please tell me, wizard.

Redesigned and reorganized menus: A mod-able menu topic came up a little while ago. It raises the point that the current default menu is ‘old and boring’. Remember, the menu is the first and last thing new plays see. We want Soldat to leave a good impression on them… that way when exiting they don't go to ‘Add or remove programs’ right after! A competition should work good, in gathering lots of submissions. (Open to anyone to start the competition, include clear rules.)
Menu isn't that important actually. Of course it makes first feeling of game, but this default-menu should stay, nice colors and that sht. It should be modifiable for me too,
and maybe one or two themes to choose? Not still any aping, like MW2 menu. (That wasn't to you, vehicledestroyer)  If there would be a new menu, of course it should be something original and exciting.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:53:59 pm by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:53:13 am »
About the logo, how the hell you think we could put our logo everywhere? Yes, what's your way on that? Please tell me, wizard.

Well my young apprentice ;) that's up to you. Put it anywhere you want/can. Other forums, sell free ad space to Soldat forums on your website, Wear a Soldat T-shirt in your profile picture on Facebook!!! I don't care! anything!...

this default-menu should stay, nice colors and that sht. It should be modifiable for me too, and maybe one or two themes to choose? Not still any aping, like MW2 menu. (That wasn't to you, vehicledestroyer)  I there would be a new menu, of course it should be something original and exciting.

That's a great idea! Soldat includes the 'old' original theme, uses the new one (as default) and comes with another optional one. I was thinking for the competition, it would be about remaking the current menus and just making look a bit more, 'fresh'.
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:55:01 pm »
Well anyways I think these things won't come to 1.5.1, it's early to discuss them.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:22:32 pm »
Well anyways I think these things won't come to 1.5.1, it's early to discuss them.

You've completely misunderstood this thread. 1.5.1 is along way away and these things won't come until AFTER. That's along time way x 2 xD! I want to do these thing now while we wait, so when 1.5.1 comes it has ALL these things. Think of it as separate, little development teams working simultaneously. Thats what the groups working on these projects will be.
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Teolant

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:02:52 pm »
Tutorial:
I like it, I also like Monsteri's idea of fitting the tutorial in with the story mode and essentially preparing players for online play.

Redesigned and reorganized menus:
What about the option to switch between menus, and the ability to make your own menu, like making your own HUD in Soldat?

Story mode:
I, personally, would imagine this to be very similar to UT99 story mode; a little bit of backstory that really takes a back seat to a bunch of awesome fights that show off the game modes.

Advertise:
That usually costs money, I think it would be best to stay off advertising until you have something new to say (for example, after implementing story mode, or training or something).

Logo:
Great idea; however, selling merchandise (e.g. shirts)? That would require research and money. Good idea, but something I wouldn't reccommend discussing until you have the logo.

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:01:27 am »
I also like Monsteri's idea of fitting the tutorial in with the story mode and essentially preparing players for online play.
a bunch of awesome fights that show off the game modes.

I too am starting to like this idea but I don't think it will work. It make two jobs one big job. I think they should stay separate. If any thing story modes time line could start where the last part of the tutorial was. Besides the Story mod will just be putting what you learned in action. That's the way most people play new games 1)tutorial 2)A little story mode 3)check out multiplayer

Great idea; however, selling merchandise (e.g. shirts)? That would require research and money. Good idea, but something I wouldn't reccommend discussing until you have the logo.

http://199259.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:02:59 am by vehicledestroyer »
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Teolant

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 04:32:52 am »
I too am starting to like this idea but I don't think it will work. It make two jobs one big job. I think they should stay separate. If any thing story modes time line could start where the last part of the tutorial was. Besides the Story mod will just be putting what you learned in action. That's the way most people play new games 1)tutorial 2)A little story mode 3)check out multiplayer
Sounds like a plan.

http://199259.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/
Uh, <_<, nevermind.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »
Tutorial:
A must-add. It's already hard enough for new players to get used to the game. Tutorial would make things a whole lot easier for them.

Story Mode:
I like your idea of story mode and I support it.

^-- These 2 things aren't actually that hard to add. It mostly comes down to mapping and some basic scripting, however there are a few obstacles.
Obstacle #1 (a major one) is the bot AI, which is currently not scriptable and is rather primitive overall. To make missions like you described - there has to be more control over bots' movement and actions, like "move from point A to point B while crouching, facing backwards, and shooting in this direction". Every part of bots' actions needs to be scriptable in order to make their behavior look convincing.
Obstacle #2: you can't run scripts in single-player. But that one's probably an easy fix.

Logo:
Soldat kinda has it already, and kinda doesn't (really it's just word "Soldat" written with the same font as the title from the movie "Predator" <_< ). It's not original and not really acceptable as logo, but it fits Soldat well. But given enough thought, I guess someone could come up with something nice.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:38:37 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »
I like the sound of it - it's wayy overdue. F12
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »
I like the sound of it - it's wayy overdue. F12

Tutorial:
A must-add.
Story Mode:
I like your idea of story mode and I support it.

Great! but now I need people to help me.

#1 (a major one) is the bot AI, which is currently not scriptable and is rather primitive overall. To make missions like you described - there has to be more control over bots' movement and actions, like "move from point A to point B while crouching, facing backwards, and shooting in this direction". Every part of bots' actions needs to be scriptable in order to make their behavior look convincing.
Obstacle #2: you can't run scripts in single-player. But that one's probably an easy fix.

With what I have planed out (in my head) Bot AI won't be too much of a problem. The way maps/check points(saves points) will work sort of solves the problem. The biggest thing I would need as to coding or scripting is spawn points. I'd need total control of where enemies spawn, when, how often and, when they stop. Even what weapon they carry.

I could go on but I'll save it till I can really start collaborating with more people.
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:48 pm »
With what I have planed out (in my head) Bot AI won't be too much of a problem. The way maps/check points(saves points) will work sort of solves the problem. The biggest thing I would need as to coding or scripting is spawn points. I'd need total control of where enemies spawn, when, how often and, when they stop. Even what weapon they carry.

That's not too hard. If you want I script something like this for you. If you want to spawn a bot at a certain place, you only need to disable all other spawns except one, move that one to the destined position, spawn the bot, force the weapon he should carry, reset all other spawns and off you go! :P

But you are not able to make a bot move without waypoints, unless you spawn grenades behind him so he moves lol

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 02:55:46 pm »
That's not too hard. If you want I script something like this for you. If you want to spawn a bot at a certain place, you only need to disable all other spawns except one, move that one to the destined position, spawn the bot, force the weapon he should carry, reset all other spawns and off you go! :P

But you are not able to make a bot move without waypoints, unless you spawn grenades behind him so he moves lol

Ha, thanks DarkCrusade good to hear that my ideas are possible; I'm not familiar with what scripting can do. But I don't want to script just yet. First I want to concept the story mode. Get and idea of what it is, then start making everything it needs. That's what I need help with, ideas. Like I said I want to present it to the devs to see if they like it. I'm not going to make a whole story mode that they don't like and won't put in the game and won't work cause I need them to code stuff for it for nothing. As you can see I'm very serious about doing this ;).
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 03:28:23 pm »
Well here's some whining of mine.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 06:21:54 pm »
Awww nooo. Russians are the bad guys AGAIN? Cmon. :(

Story-wise I think it should be something less generic than another "bad guys are trying to destroy the world cause they have something to prove".
Since Soldiers have jet-packs, I think it should be closer to modern times.

How about:
-----------
Background story: some generic military squabbles between countries or terrorist organization that's planning to do [something evil with a hint of silly and random].
We don't need to know more. The real story would be about a small squad that was sent on some mission, but [something unexpected] happened, and [this lead to that] and now our guys are in the middle of the enemy territory and have to get out somehow, saving the world along the way.
-----------
In other words: the focus would be not the serious modern warfare drama, but more like one of those military comedies. The gameplay will be serious, but the characters and cutscenes will be with some humor.

Here are a few more ideas about possible missions:
- Newb mission 1:
No jets. Something like 1-way trenchwars - you go from point A to point B and shoot everything that moves.

- Newb mission 2:
Major: "The command has finally sent us some of their new high-tech toys. These are rocket boots. They're real easy to use, just press the button and.. GAH *hits the ceiling*"
Anyway, another "get from here to there" mission, but this time it's more similar to climb (except less hardcore). The map would be very steep and vertical, and would teach the player to use jets, backflips and basic jumps in a more effective way. Enemies would also use jets and attack player from mid-air.

- Scout & Snipe mission.
A large map, where you spawn in the middle and can go in any direction. Your only weapons are a barrett, a knife, and a stealth thingy with a short duration and a long cool down. Your goal is to find a certain item or kill a certain bot which is hidden somewhere on the map.
Purpose: to teach player how to camp & snipe, how to go around enemies by using alternative routes, to show disadvantages of being binked.

- "Paratrooper". A spoof of a classic game: http://www.retrocpu.com/pc/images/games/p/paratrooper.gif
You'll be sitting behind a statgun on top of a building and shoot down enemies who parachute from above. Plus, occasional airstrikes which will force you to get off the statgun and inside the building for a moment.
Purpose: just fast-paced non-stop explosive fun.

- Follow & Defend a friendly bot.
A bot is leading you through the map, and along the way you get ambushed a few times by enemy patrols.

Here are some ideas that would make AI more convincing and interesting to play against. Most of it comes down to more advanced sight and hearing, and some basic prediction algorithms.

1) Bots shouldn't see what's behind them, or what's further than 1 screen away (unless they're using barrett zoom).
2) They should be able to react to sound of jets and footsteps.
3) It should be harder for them to detect a player who is crouching, proning or hiding behind sceneries.
4) Bots should have different states - like
~ when they're not alert (stand in place or follow waypoints normally).
~ when they suspect the enemy is near (they'd go in the direction where enemy might be, ready to engage).
~ retreating to kit spawns when low on supplies.
5) They should be able to predict player's position to some extent - at least based on the direction from which player is shooting. If they can't predict that - they should retreat to nearest cover.
6) Sticking in groups, positioning themselves properly and not blocking each other's line of fire.
7) Scriptable actions in response to chat commands (let's say, player says "hold position" - and the bot would start camping, or say "go" and aim the crosshair where you want the bot to go and he'll move to that spot)

I think with these it should be enough to make any kind of mission - stealth, defend, escort, or made even plain rushing more impressive. Only problem left is the pathfinding. Even with waypoints they still get stuck too easily.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:36:56 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »
Thank you for the ideas! I'll be using lots of them.

As for you vs. Russians.... no xD I don't want it vs. countries because well you can understand. Soldat is a world wide game, don't want to piss anyone off.

What I will be using is...

Newb mission 1:
No jets. Something like 1-way trenchwars - you go from point A to point B and shoot everything that moves.
New impromewnt, Jetpack.

This is is f**kin genius! It's a great way for new players to learn to shot with out worrying about flying at the same time. Great idea for the first level.

As for the bots...

Bots shouldn't see what's behind them, or what's further than 1 screen away
I was going to use this any way because it seems that bots always see me ()shoot me!) even when I'm well off the screen. But these states and stuff won't work. Too complicated and besides you can make it work with out all that stuff. Also if we're going to have times when friendly bots help you, it's going to have to be Halo 1 style. Where you don't NEED them, they don't help much and by the end of the level they're all dead xD They are just there for the show.

So are you guys are helping me with this? I was thinking to get a group and talk off the forums as this thread is for recruiting people.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:40:12 am by vehicledestroyer »
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
Tutorial:
Hell no tutorial... stupid crap 

Redesigned and reorganized menus:
Why changing menu

Story mode:
OMG a Soldat story mode  :D  that is so dumb that the idea of adding dragonflies rock against that crap be real story mod :D
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline AdamD

• Major
  • hi its me your IRC pal dicko
    • i make games sometimes too.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 03:47:44 pm »
i like these ideas a lot! i had a few ideas for possible missions in story mode, i don't know what you'll make of them though.

- They Just Keep Comin'!
you're stationed at a stationary gun on elevated land, and enemy troops keep coming from below. you have to kill as many as you can and protect the base while something happens (i dunno, HELICOPTER AIRLIFT? GET COMPUTER BACK ONLINE? WAIT FOR EXPLOSIVE TO BE SET UP? something like that).

- One Bullet, One Kill
you have a barrett, with one bullet, and an enemy flag carrier is running towards their base. you're quite far away. have a guess and what's required...

- Won't Know What Hit 'Em
this is very much a uh STEALTH INFILTRATION. you're armed with a knife, and that's it. you have to infiltrate a large enemy base. there's snipers stationed around, and you have to advance to the top without being shot. you can't pick up the barretts, its just you and your trusty knife.

idk i'm really tired but hey a few generic ideas. this topic is long dead anyway
vam; dicko
vagabonds & miscreants

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:41 pm »
this topic is long dead anyway

I disagree... ;)

I really enjoined reading your ideas! A lot of people like the ideas we were randomly coming up with but nothing was ever really made of them. I guess there's a little miss understanding with what I was looking for.

I want to work on the campaign (NOT called story mode..) everything else... I just want people to think about.

Campaign I want to talk OFF THE FORUMS about the details of this. I don't want everyone to already know exactly what's going to happen before it's done. What I want to do is just shoot ideas back and forth; narrow down the good ideas and come up with a layout - a story board if you want to call it that - of the missions and mechanics in the campaign. Then if the Devs aren't too busy (and willing, if they are interested) we'll show them what we have. We could work with them to make one level, one mission and then show that to the community. with the feed back we get we'll continue, make needed changes and before you know it the next Soldat version will come packet with a campaign! A short but sweet, repayable, fun as hell campaign!!

So... I don't have the kick in me to start by myself. I'm waiting till I get just a bit more support and of course, help.
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »
this are nice ideas and everything but simply soldat doesn't and will never and tnx god that it doesn't have a story mod.

You can play this stories on standard maps with surival and win points 1 and with maps names in row like ctf_***1 to ctf_***2.
If he wants to make a story mode make it
1.map
[M2] and enemys spawns and got waypointed to your  [M2] and Flag
2.map
make a enemy spawns under you stealing your flag and going to CAP you cant shoot him near cause he is in a tunnel " afterward he leave it and you shoot"
3.map
could be made with a script that you cant use enemy weapons but to much work for not so much make a enemy base with much spawns on roofs and other "tactical positions" that lead you to the enemy Flag

Thats it if you want story mode make it with a bit of fantasy and work
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »
Bump...
My Projects:
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
Bump...

User warned for spam. You don't revive a topic with "bump".
I fucking miss all you cunts!