Poll

Give the Barret full map view range?

Yes
13 (20.3%)
No
51 (79.7%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Give the Barret full map view range  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Give the Barret full map view range
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:29:00 am »
Right now the Barret can extend the user's view by two screens when proning. I'd like to see this extended to the ends of the map. It is, after all, a sniper rifle, and the best rifles can spot and hit a target roughly three miles away. The downside would be that viewing far enough away would allow no protection to the camping Barreter's unguarded body, which I think balances it out well.

Thoughts?

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
Re: Give the Barret full map view range
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:33:26 am »
I guess it's okay. If the sniper actually succeeds in hitting an another player more than 2 screens, he's pretty damn good.

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 09:52:07 am »
I guess it's okay. If the sniper actually succeeds in hitting an another player more than 2 screens, he's pretty damn good.

It can be done. It would be impossible to overcome these guys.
I vote NO.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Replica

• Major
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 09:59:57 am »
a) It would be more effective as a scouting tool than for actually shooting, allowing people to see more than what others want them to see in terms of chat, AND where enemy players are coming from.  Imagine it in clan wars, it'd be the cheapest thing ever. 

b) Its effectiveness in the hands of a skilled user would be unprecedentedly annoying and cheap (got no way of knowing if there's a barret camper in his base whilst shooting into your own base?), especially on maps such as B2B and Run, not to say the others would be much better off. 
You'd be able to effectively spawn kill on B2B from over half a map away. 

Seems like a pretty stupid idea to me. 

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:11:16 am »
a) It would be more effective as a scouting tool than for actually shooting, allowing people to see more than what others want them to see in terms of chat, AND where enemy players are coming from.  Imagine it in clan wars, it'd be the cheapest thing ever. 

I think that's a benefit, and it still takes a prone (and thus inactive) body to scout and view the area, giving a non-scouting team the advantage on the field. Keep the screen movement slow, and it'd hardly be as game breaking as you make it out to be. As it is, you can already do this with the Barret -- I know first thing I do with a Barret on larger maps is to prone and follow the shot to scout the area.

b) Its effectiveness in the hands of a skilled user would be unprecedentedly annoying and cheap (got no way of knowing if there's a barret camper in his base whilst shooting into your own base?), especially on maps such as B2B and Run, not to say the others would be much better off. 
You'd be able to effectively spawn kill on B2B from over half a map away.

Again, this is already possible with the Barret currently. The shot still takes some time to reach that far, there are still plenty of obstructions to avoid to hit a target, and players move around enough to make the delay from spotting a person in the view to the bullet actually traveling across the map and hitting its target to be somewhat challenging. The only thing this would really do is make it more difficult for the camper to keep an eye on his immediate surroundings, which makes him/her far more the sitting duck than the targets on the other side of the map.

Of course, you're still welcomed to disagree. :)

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:40:35 am »
Many users already find it very annoying that the barret can see you before you can see him. And I'm one of them.

It already has a huge advantage and it shouldn't become even greater, let it be.

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:42 am »
Hahahahahahahaaha...Oh your not joking?!
hahahaha
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Foley

• Camper
  • Designer/Programmer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 11:02:13 am »
Omg, this will ruin the gameplay! Just imagine, hundreds of campers around and they will always see u! Ur screwed if ull see hundreds of barret shots around...
Fix and disable this "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE" It's a harmful trojan.

Offline Spasm

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF Owner
    • Elite CTF
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 11:06:45 am »
I think that's a little too much so I voted No..although giving the option as a secondary/(third?) weapon being binoculars might work? 
Owner/Founder- Elite CTF -  http://elitectf.com
OwnedVision - http://ownedvision.com
--An EliteCTF Production.
Snipe & Slice - Saw & Law - One Shots

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 11:11:41 am »
^^ That could work but not all the map, just an extra screen
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 11:32:57 am »
Just...No..Whats you thinking man!?

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 01:01:47 pm »
It should be implemented, because it would be quite challenging to fire a barrett shot accurately over a very large map like run. It really depends on the map. Even then, it won't make it over-powered because on maps like laos, there are obstacles and other things to prevent a shot form going too far in the first place. :)

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 01:50:21 pm »
How about just make it so you can adjust scope range in the weapons.ini  People could make mods to do this then.

Offline Death MachineX350

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 01:52:25 pm »
I think that's a little too much so I voted No..although giving the option as a secondary/(third?) weapon being binoculars might work? 
I think the full map seeing would suck hard even though I am a barrett user. Think about realistic mode for a minute. The sniper could give other players the enemy's position if they don't have cover and the maps are slightly small which would be even cheaper. Most defintily NO.The binoculars would be good but would encourage spying on realistic maybe if only it saw the same thing as a barrett but still would be a little iffy.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 02:01:14 pm »
it would definantly hurt the balance.

no
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 03:12:53 pm »
I vote scope range for weapons.ini! 0 for unlimited, 1 for no scope, and the more you go the more screens away you can see.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 03:17:57 pm »
I think the full map seeing would suck hard even though I am a barrett user. Think about realistic mode for a minute. The sniper could give other players the enemy's position if they don't have cover and the maps are slightly small which would be even cheaper. Most defintily NO.

Realistic only allows viewing what is directly in front of you within a rather short range, no? I don't see how being able to view the map would be effective in that mode, since I'd think the players would not be visible just the same. Again, too, that this is already possible by tracking the Barret shot. If people hate this idea this much, then I'm surprised there has not been a huge push to get rid of that existing ability.

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »
Seeing the whole map would be too much, I mean, we'd have to upgrade every other weapon too then  :P

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 04:12:55 pm »
how bout no.  In Elite Snipe and Slice(one of my fave servers)most of the maps would become slaughterhouses, with the team with the less skilled players bein killed the moment they pop outta spawn.

Offline Zegovia

• Flagrunner
  • Blow like a storm, burst like steam.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 06:37:31 am »
Maybe an extra screen of vision from prone position would be okay to have...

But the whole map is kinda extreme... :P