Poll

Give the Barret full map view range?

Yes
13 (20.3%)
No
51 (79.7%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Give the Barret full map view range  (Read 4825 times)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Re: Give the Barret full map view range
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 08:20:16 am »
how bout no.  In Elite Snipe and Slice(one of my fave servers)most of the maps would become slaughterhouses, with the team with the less skilled players bein killed the moment they pop outta spawn.

What maps can you really spawncamp from the other side of the map though? The only one I can think of is B2B. Other than that, there will always be obstacles in the way. I can see people hate the idea (geesh... 29 to 3 :P), but I think people aren't really thinking some of the disagreements through entirely. I don't think it'd have nearly the impact most do, but then I'm in the minority. :)

Offline Darth

• Soldier
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 08:25:14 am »
No no no no no no and NO. It would take things to the extreme, unbalance games, the Barret is good enough as it is already.
Although adding bonoculers or something is a good idea - with limited range - higher then barret though - secondary or something weapon.

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 08:41:03 am »
er..this is hard to say yes or no to...I'd <3 to have that far of a shot range, but then there comes the problem, how hard is it to shoot the guy your aimingat across the map, the barret bullet slows down the farther it shoots and slowly starts to curve down, mebe it would work for small maps, but not for like ctf_Run.

Iq Unlimited, no vote.

Offline TDL

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 12:20:15 pm »
I call for a slight extencion or less delay. That was one can actually pull out ones knife before ones enemy rips ones heart out.

Offline H31MU7

• Major
  • BOOM HEADSHOT!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 11:18:42 pm »
I voted yes, "Though I think maybe not the whole map. One of the reason I voted yes is well... It would be very difficult to snipe that far. You would have to take in the fact that there is a drop due to the gravity meaning to hit the target you will have to guess the height to aim. Also have to take in the fact that the bullet takes time to travel that far in distance meaning by the time it gets there the person might have died or moved out of the way. And as Mr. Domino said It leaves the sniper open for close attacks from behind. I think Due to these reason it would Balance it out. And if you are playing non realistic the sniper riffle could be used for one of the reason it was built and used for scouting.

Date Posted: August 18, 2006, 12:10:56 AM
Oh and I forgot if you have noticed bullet travel weakens the impact meaning that it would probly not be an instant kill!

Date Posted: August 18, 2006, 12:13:34 AM
Sorry I didn't relise that most of this was allready put into the thread.

Offline Ivarska

• Camper
  • I came to the world with the barret in my hand
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 04:59:33 am »
rofl, Soldat should become a "lie-down-in-base-and-kill-people-in-other-base"-game...
i voted no...

Offline Tybs

• Major
  • Slide away!
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 05:20:46 am »
I voted yes. I rarely ever use the barret anymore, but like domino and h31 already mentioned, the new advantages and disadvantages would balance themselves out already. It would require a lot of skill to hit a target 6 screens away (except for campers, since those usually lay still, but this could be a good thing ^^). And after every shot, u would have to zoom in all over again, still making u very vulnerable to enemy attacks. Slightly reduce the zoom speed, and everything would be fine... finally the barret would definitely act as a sniper rifle.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 07:15:54 am »
Nah, if you want to do this, just shoot your barrett so that the bullets travel far enough to scope across the map.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 07:26:12 am »
Hooray, let's find us a nice spot in the middle of B2b and spawncamp Red team doing Double and Triple kills because the bullet goes trough 'em! Hooray!
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 08:25:33 am »
Hooray, let's find us a nice spot in the middle of B2b and spawncamp Red team doing Double and Triple kills because the bullet goes trough 'em! Hooray!

Yippee! Except 1) Barret bullets cannot do more than a single spawn kill (reduced damage after impact) and 2) you're assuming the entire time Bravo is spawn camping and the Alpha team is not retaliating or attacking in any fashion. If a team is just going to let the enemy get prime positioning on a map without challenging them, then they are asking to die.

Besides, spawn camping from the middle tower or bridge area of B2B is already possible with the current setup. Nothing would change.

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 08:33:41 pm »
Hell No. Campers = Much

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 04:12:40 am »
If the barret could see across the entire map, one player can just hide and tell his teammates where the opposition is.  That's really all I have against it, since so one is going to hit from across the map (feel free to prove me wrong).
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Commander Kitsune

• Soldier
  • Kits
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006, 09:01:22 pm »
I'd say no. but it could be a DECENT idea cause honestly most maps arent straight and hard to use a barret. but sorreh....I say no.

TEH EDIT  ;D: I still say no XD but I think barret should have more range...it seems to go out nowhere O_o

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:37:32 pm by Commander Kitsune »

Offline kevman

• Major(1)
  • Proud Member of |SSN|
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2006, 11:20:52 pm »
this is just a dumb idea, sorry but i think the barret needs to be nerfed beyond belief, since its so cheap, i think it need to be like the law were you have to be prone to use it, it already has a long enough range of view, it gets the drop on any other thing, besides itself, and its rather annoying when your tryin to rush and keep gettin sniped by the same person oevr and over and over and over and oevr, well you get the idea
|SSN|Kevman

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 01:24:31 am »
this is just a dumb idea, sorry but i think the barret needs to be nerfed beyond belief, since its so cheap, i think it need to be like the law were you have to be prone to use it, it already has a long enough range of view, it gets the drop on any other thing, besides itself, and its rather annoying when your tryin to rush and keep gettin sniped by the same person oevr and over and over and over and oevr, well you get the idea

Most Barret users prone before each shot as it is. I know I do. :) Personally, I'd rather see the Barret made a strictly camping weapon, only usuable in the zoomed view mode. This would lead to the camper being unprotected since he can't view his immediate surroundings, and the Barret wouldn't be used as a one-hit Ruger as it is now. See? All the more reason to want an extended view range! :)

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 03:13:42 am »

Most Barret users prone before each shot as it is. I know I do. :) Personally, I'd rather see the Barret made a strictly camping weapon, only usuable in the zoomed view mode. This would lead to the camper being unprotected since he can't view his immediate surroundings, and the Barret wouldn't be used as a one-hit Ruger as it is now. See? All the more reason to want an extended view range! :)
Hmm that makes sense...

Offline Gold

• Flagrunner
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 05:05:49 am »
But then you could spy on the enemy, and tell your team where the FFC is, EFC, where the enemy are, what position they are (low, mid, high, etc.) and you would never get those amazing random kills when you fire the sniper across the map randomly...

~ No

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 02:14:40 pm »
I support a limitless scope if the Barret loses its one-hit lethalness after the regular two screens and can only kill injured soldaten, and needing to hit more severely injured ones the farther they are away.

It's a novel idea, really, but would need some tweaking. In any case, the ScopeRun= INI command would be cool.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2006, 02:26:51 pm »
^^ That could work but not all the map, just an extra screen

I like this idea, half of the time as a sniper(R/S), you can't see far enough into a space, plus you can't see what rooms they are hiding in either.

Then don't rush dumbass!

I support a limitless scope if the Barret loses its one-hit lethalness after the regular two screens and can only kill injured soldaten, and needing to hit more severely injured ones the farther they are away.

It sounds like a fair compromise, and could work.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 02:29:10 pm by BooBoo McBad »

Offline kevman

• Major(1)
  • Proud Member of |SSN|
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 12:58:34 pm »

Then don't rush dumbass!

its not a rush, its a strategic advance, and what am i sposed to do? get the gay barret and camp back? f*uck that, im not a 1 hit whore like most everyone out there
|SSN|Kevman