Author Topic: ctf_Nuubiaa (Nuubia-Remake)  (Read 6790 times)

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: ctf_Nuubiaa (Nuubia-Remake)
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
@darDar & DarkCrusade: you see, soldat is an old game, with lots of old players (with old computers). Fancy maps tend to drop fps and older video cards doesn't support complex scenery/poly transparency. Zakath can give you more info about that.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Re: ctf_Nuubiaa (Nuubia-Remake)
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 09:28:06 pm »
@darDar & DarkCrusade: you see, soldat is an old game, with lots of old players (with old computers). Fancy maps tend to drop fps and older video cards doesn't support complex scenery/poly transparency. Zakath can give you more info about that.

I just need to say this is an argument that shouldn't be used anymore. Really, it was used seven years ago. "Lots of old players with old computers" are not a majority anymore, they are a tiny tiny minority that, frankly, are not worth the trouble today.

Only a month ago I had this about a decade old laptop as a temporary computer and it ran Soldat just fine. Now that I have a modern custom-built machine, I get slightly annoyed every time I see someone mentioning "people with old computers" cause I can't get the game running smoothly for most of the time.

Not saying I want to see maps like these in Soldat, I find them messy, rather ugly in the context and definitely not suitable for Soldat. I've mentioned this before, but Super Meat Boy is awesome when it comes to 2D graphics. Everyone should play it 1080p and compare it to Soldat. Also Team Fortress 2, this and this. Of course low poly graphics don't work as well in 2D, but it's mostly the lights and clarity that I personally like.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:30:31 pm by Dusty »