Author Topic: Number of default maps  (Read 1468 times)

Offline h1n1

• Major(1)
Number of default maps
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
CTF: 27
HTF: 15
INF: 11 (I'm feel good with max 12 maps per mode)
TM/DM/RM/PM: 29

Seriously. I think that INF it's fine. But look to CTF and TM/DM... It really needed more than 20 maps in a game mode? At a "mainstream game" the maintenance (with a few multiplayer maps - I know, isn't a good comparison) doesn't work perfectly, how we can think that we could keep the quality(design and structure) with Soldat? Devs, this question maybe need a review.

Another points: If you have many official maps, it ruins the scene of map makers/custom maps and I guess that isn't good for competitive scene, who can play 100% in every 27/29 maps? NO ONE.

What you guys think about?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:58:52 pm by h1n1 »

DarkCrusade

Re: Number of default maps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:30:47 am »
In times that games get bigger and bigger, offering more to its customers, you seriously want to cut back Soldat's size?

SERIOUSLY?

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:40:55 am »
About TM/DM/RM/PM maps: I agree that there are shitload of maps for these gamemodes, many of them are very similiar to each other number of maps could be cutted dramatically.

About CTF: Actually the competitive scene is one that I see benefiting about large number of maps and maps that are different to each other, and active competitive player can do his 100% in every map. However, there are several maps that are having similiar play to each other: Laos, Division, B2b, Viet, Steel, Lanubya, Maya, Maya2, Ruins. Some of those maps could be deleted for reason that they give less different play than other maps.

Though the gain from deleting maps is little.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:14:55 am »
Don't forget that Soldat has a somewhat wide community, with a wide range of taste in maps.
Everybody has a favorite or two, some like less popular maps than others do.
b&

Offline h1n1

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »
The competitive CTF plays 90% of matchs at: Guardian, Rotten, Cobra, DropDown2, Death2, Nuubia, Ash, Division... Other dif maps(like Blade, Run, IceBeam, Hormone...) some teams pick to be a surprise for your enemies that don't know good spots, tatics and maps logic.

If the community have a wide taste, why not delete some maps and leave to the custom maps the "rest of the job", satisfying who plays 4fun games with a wide taste?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 04:57:31 pm »
The competitive CTF plays 90% of matchs at: Guardian, Rotten, Cobra, DropDown2, Death2, Nuubia, Ash, Division... Other dif maps(like Blade, Run, IceBeam, Hormone...) some teams pick to be a surprise for your enemies that don't know good spots, tatics and maps logic.

If the community have a wide taste, why not delete some maps and leave to the custom maps the "rest of the job", satisfying who plays 4fun games with a wide taste?

You're contradicting yourself, you acknowledged the fact that they have different and wide ranged tastes, but are suggesting to remove the maps that taste includes.
I play every single Ctf map the same way I play any other.
b&

Offline h1n1

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 05:00:49 pm »
You're contradicting yourself, you acknowledged the fact that they have different and wide ranged tastes, but are suggesting to remove the maps that taste includes.
I play every single Ctf map the same way I play any other.
To me, isn't a point about taste. I referred only to what you say that is real/exist.

So...
"why not delete some maps and leave to the custom maps the "rest of the job", satisfying who plays 4fun games with a wide taste?"

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:02:59 pm »
Why would you delete the maps? This takes away the diversity Soldat has and makes its appearance odder than it already is. No thanks, I can only quote myself here:

SERIOUSLY?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:22:21 pm »
Look, if you think some of those maps are just too much of the same, ask your server admins to remove them from the map cycle.

Thank you, goodnight.
b&

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 01:16:18 am »
If anything, we should ADD maps to balance out or emphasise game-modes. I personally think its retarded that CTF has 27, and INF has 15, when as soon as you get online you will no doubt encounter another 30 maps for the respective game-mode anyway.

I think we need to emphasise that there are more gamemodes than CTF and INF.

- I rarely find an active DM server at all anymore (and I say that over the course of the last year). When I find an active one, I have a blast. DM reminds us that theres not always a team to help you or compensate for your abilities. In DM, its ALL up to YOUR ability alone. Deprecate some maps (not remove, just call em classic maps or something) and offer some new arenas with more recent mapping techniques.

- Whatever happened to Rambo matches? Havent seen one [local] Rambo server at all for maybe 2 years! Thats obscene! These matches could be real fun, and its a shame that there isnt, afaik, a rambo-specific map.

- Whatever happened to HTF matches? Personally I think these are great balanced maps that are more often than not used for alternate scripted gamemodes such as Saw matches etc HTF can be just as fun and competitive as CTF - yet does anyone give HTF the same attention? If you do, I cant tell - and thats the point.

- Why isnt Trench a vanilla gametype by now? This is a mapping style which quickly became a competitive hit in the community, and I think defines Soldat in many ways of strategy and skill. Make a TW game-mode with a collection of the best TW maps. Sounds reasonable to me that if there are game-modes which are not played at all, or are deprecated in the eyes of players, developers and competitors; and that people have had to use server scripts and meticulous modding in order to 'hack in' a game-mode that people preferred to play; that we should remove the old and replace with the new.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 02:07:35 am »
As far as I know, Cambodia was like the best map for Rambo matches.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:21 am »
As far as I know, Cambodia was like the best map for Rambo matches.

Along with Leaf.
b&