Author Topic: Official mapmakers team  (Read 2610 times)

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Official mapmakers team
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:52:31 pm »
Hey dev, what you think about make a map makers official team to do the hard job like remake TM maps? It's boring when I try to remake some maps, I don't have skills to do this job, I know what I need to do, but it isn't to me and I feel too sad when think that no one want to do that job, want to put your fingers on a game mode that only the 3rd world country plays as competitive.

Isn't too hard to see that every TM map need to be remake. You can compare CTF maps with TM maps. Maps like Arena aren't touched since 2002/2003? or something like that? I guess that the current Arena is the second version of this map, maybe the second beta test version... Look to Veoto, the guy that made that map said: isn't finished, with some polygons bugs and a crap visual.

We have a area to discuss about some maps but no one(real map makers) want to remake them, especially TM/DM. Every map need to be improved.

My suggestion:

Now we have a new developers team. The core of the game at good hands. And the maps? I think that zakath and Suowarrior can't do everything (ps: Good job with MrSnowman. Missing only 28 maps).

The community have good map makers. No one want to be a official mapmaker of Soldat? The dev team don't cares with this point (TM maps)? Or what?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:55:03 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
Re: Official mapmakers team
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't remake default maps even if I was paid. It's better to just have newer maps added.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:10:29 am »
Every map need to be improved.

The only parts that need fixing are polybugs and maybe the team spawns. It would be nonsense to completely remake every map just because of one community that's not satisfied. As far as I'm concerned, the Brazilian community is the only one playing TM. You could even use own customly made maps to suit your needs. Most of the default DM maps are completely fine, apart from the polybugs of course.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »
So, I think that the biggest soldat community (soldat.com.br + soldatx.com = 12824 users, 100 registered/400 users online everyday) needs improvements at the game mode that they plays.

We're talking about four official game modes, TM/DM/RM/PM.
Fixing polygons bugs? Good, but we need it. Not only the Brazilian community...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:17:11 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:39:37 am »
"Official mapmaker team" would be just formal thing, which I can't see leading into effectiveness. Also I'm skeptical that if there are those mappers who are A capable and B motivated to do such work.

Number of dm maps should be radically decreased, as there are s**tload of very similar layout outs/gameplays which doesn't give anything different for dm play. Therefore the least liked similar maps should be removed, this means there are less maps that "need" to be developed (visuals, bugfixing), also it would give more room for new kind of dm/tm maps to breakthrough.

Got nothing against:
- Polybugs fixing
- FPS fixing
- Making maps look better as long as it doesn't mess up the gameplay, no matter what map (for example MrSnowman project)

Strongly against:
- Remaking maps less original, (for example you can't add polyislands into Bunker map)

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »
I agree. Some maps need to be remade.
SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:57:23 pm »
Yeah, there'd have to be some compensation system, lol. I personally wouldn't do this out of charity. I hardly think anyone would. But, some people would be more-than-satisfied with having their remakes added to the official Soldat maplist.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:14:37 pm »
But, some people would be more-than-satisfied with having their remakes added to the official Soldat maplist.

That motivated me to make remakes of CTF-maps, but DM and TM are another story. The "gain" is just too little.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:48:46 pm »
Example: Shoozza don't need to think about this compensation if he don't play realistic mode, but he keeps improving this part of the game.
That's the why to create a Official MapMakers team. Doesn't matter the compensation, what matter is that you will help the game, just it.

TM/DM/PM/RM it's part of the game, not a scripted mode. No one want to help the game? Or doesn't matter how crap are this part now?
I can see some new CTF(and others) maps that will not be played or with a little "compensation". These guys don't want to help the game?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:51:41 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:57:19 pm »
I'd be willing to remake some maps if enough people think they need a visual upgrade or other changes.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 04:18:43 pm »
if your s**tmakes reach soldat defaults, I will have your head on a stick.

you can make that s**t and send it to your half-retarded friends and all, but soldat deserves better.
If you are oblivious as to why I am saying this, then that is one more reason why you should shove your hands back up your ass until the end of your pathetic life.

From me, the bottom line is this:
you can make maps: go ahead, but stay the f**k out of defaults. As you might have noticed, I haven't given much of a s**t about new maps for quite a while. But making mapmaking elitist is just over the top. It's like having an incapable government, which has allowed for abominations to end up in the latest soldat version -> that's just proof of the incompetence of groupthink.

Believe in mapjesus and try to please him, perhaps then your maps will reach acceptable quality. Mapjesus doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:35:41 pm by Horve »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 05:07:36 pm »
I can make maps. Whether they replace the defaults is not my decision. If you offensive wh*** of a f**king troll believe you make a difference by insulting people, fine, but don't piss on my lawn.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:17:07 pm by DarkCrusade »