Author Topic: ctf_eye  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Re: ctf_eye
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 10:58:29 am »
lies. I bet it was just black. I'm sure..?
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:40 am »
ermm it was R:15, G:15 and B:15, though now altered so it is even lighter - enough so you can see, on the outer edge of your screen, the first signs of fading while you play.

EDIT: it is now R:55, G:55 and B:55
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:07:30 am by thegrandmaster »
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:18 am »
The eye looks good now.

But you've changed the colorgrading of the plattforms D:
Before: dark brown to white
Now: some red flavour to white (too red imo)

Yes, I'm picky. :p

Also, I'm not sure if I like the dark outside area. Have to test it out ingame...
EDIT: Pls post the pms-file.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:52:36 am by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:16 pm »
EDIT: put shading back to more browny overtones ;)
added sliiight light in the middle.

btw, the attached map has waypoints from several versions ago (but the map's shape has changed a bit since then so... might be a bit bad). Also, the Iris image and the lil bit of light.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 12:26:40 pm »
Light is good. Ground isn't.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 12:34:20 pm »
Ground as in?? Suggest something instead of stating blank opinions.

+ possible faint scenery?: attached

+ possible outside change attached
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:47:01 pm by thegrandmaster »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 12:53:07 pm »
Nice idea, I see some nice mass murders in the "pupil" :P
b&

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:19 pm »
uhuh. yhea. :D

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 04:33:34 am »
Lookin good so far.

What I think you need to do is shade the outside of the map to make it look like part of a face carved out of rock. So shade in like the ridges of the eyelids, eyesocket, edge of nose/cheekbone etc so it has some depth and fades to black. Maybe even make the pupil some wicked energy source that is harmful to touch.

Example attached

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »
shade it? or scenery it?

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 07:01:34 pm »
+ possible faint scenery?
Looks nice and doesnt distract. Keep it.

What I think you need to do is shade the outside of the map to make it look like part of a face carved out of rock. So shade in like the ridges of the eyelids, eyesocket, edge of nose/cheekbone etc so it has some depth and fades to black.
Nice idea. :)

Maybe even make the pupil some wicked energy source that is harmful to touch.
This one not. It would decrease the speed of the map too much.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 03:46:12 am »
Shade the boundary polys like you would any other rock, just contour it like an eye-socket. This also has the benefit of allowing you to create map 'sequels' based on other areas of of the face such as the other eye, the mouth, brain etc, revealing an enigmatic temple of your imagination. It might even be interesting to 'stitch' them together in future.

I had the idea of energy sources or relics as a quick solution to having a pupil scenery that looks good, and can tie in to a theme. As far as this map is concerned, yes it would slow down some of the gameplay, but this depends on a lot of factors which are not yet set in stone - such as number players, actual geometry, and overall scale proportions.

Simply halve the size of the red orb in my last pic, and you could argue that it would still be a hazard whilst not being obtrusive.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 12:23:32 pm »
looks like a anti-camp map because of the many routes

Anyway gg

Here's some criticism:

I don't care if the whole map is ice, anyone could sit at the top route all day and not only camp the the middle, but easily has the same amount of accessibility to the flag spot. Oh wait, there's more. Not only can one person effectively handle one half of the map camping top, the nade placement makes it easy for the player to spam into the middle.

The whole map is so linear that each of the player spawns are great areas to spray into to the tunnels exiting the pupil area. Those tunnels are like spraying low in Nuubia's red base, but into a smaller space.

Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 12:25:04 pm »
okay.. here it is :D

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 01:47:30 pm »
Looking good+hilarious! Could it be now time for final release? ;)
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »
Well, it certainly looks more like an eye now.
I like it even more this way, definitely want to play it.
b&

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 03:56:20 pm »
looks good but i don't see any tactics its simply all in the middle circle and shoot at everything that moves  :-\  i vote 7/10
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »
Oh wait, there's more. Not only can one person effectively handle one half of the map camping top, the nade placement makes it easy for the player to spam into the middle.
I shall remove the grenade spawns from top and move them to inside the bases... quickest thing to do.
Any suggestions appreciated.

The whole map is so linear that each of the player spawns are great areas to spray into to the tunnels exiting the pupil area. Those tunnels are like spraying low in Nuubia's red base, but into a smaller space.
Really not that easy to combat this. Neither do I feel this is too much of an issue based on the amount of available routes. But again, any good suggestions welcomed.

Well, it certainly looks more like an eye now.
I like it even more this way, definitely want to play it.
Unless jerich (or someone else) have some ideas of how to improve it from how it is now, I shall release it.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 11:09:26 pm »
Lookin good! Nice work!

Now I think the most issues now are tactical. Its time to stick as many players into the map as possible and just see how we play and how it could be changed. I do have a couple of pre-game thoughts;

- I think those upper nade packs are a bit exploitable, but at the same time so are the nadepack placements in most default maps. Maybe place some on a low route to balance things out a bit.

- as a pretty efficient sniper who constantly rotates around the map, I can see a few lines that are easy pickings for me. Ive attached some examples of problematic lines of sight that I would really exploit, so you need some colliders around the place.

- drawing out these lines also shows minor flaws in your symmetry, you might want to explore that.

- maybe consider making the pupil a bullet-collider, but not a player-collider.

- waypoints?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:18:47 pm by KYnetiK »

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 12:15:08 am »
- as a pretty efficient sniper who constantly rotates around the map, I can see a few lines that are easy pickings for me. Ive attached some examples of problematic lines of sight that I would really exploit, so you need some colliders around the place.
barret bullets don't fly straight. many of your lines are not possible or at a very very low range. and hard to actually kill someone.
on the other hand: don't always condemn the snipers. the barret has the zoom-feature. trying to prevent any possiblity to use it on a map is not...fair imo. of course there should be no camping points where you can easy spawnkill the enemy from your base. but kneeling somewhere and zooming is no crime. so please don't put colliders everywhere.

- maybe consider making the pupil a bullet-collider, but not a player-collider.
then it would be really hard to kill a fleeing flagger. if not nearly impossible if you need 2-3 sec to respawn (and if you don't have any possiblity to snipe him).

and btw, @thegrandmaster: don't try to make your map the perfect map. it never will be. there is no perfect. every map has "flaws". it's about the fun, not about making it camper-proof or perfectly symmetrical or something. if you keep on removing and polishing it will be a circle in the end... ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:17:53 am by Illuminatus »