Author Topic: Offical Soldat Store for map - mod?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
  • Soldat! Soldat! Soldat!
Offical Soldat Store for map - mod?
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:39:47 pm »
Well, I think If this is possible:
- Some player will bore Soldat if they have played all the standard maps of Soldat, ofcourse they can download the new maps but they want to be quickly, easy.
So I think Soldat should have a built-in ''Store'' section (example), locate on the top menu  ===> similiar with the ''Join'' section, and the ''Store'' have 2 sides : map and mod. They can download the mods or maps and the file will automately save in the folder, so they don't have to copy and paste, and after finished downloading, they can play the map immediately, but they have to exit and go to starter if they want to play the new mod.
Player can upload the map - mod on the web page.
If this is too hard, you guys could make an offical Soldat Store web page and people can vote the best map everymonth or week, that will be much better than other fan webs page out there.
My love to Soldat is eternal, forever and always

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: Offical Soldat Store for map - mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:49 am »
I like that idea. Installing maps and mods direcly from the game menu. That would save a bunch of time, and would make more players aware of modding.
Bonus: Maps and mods could be officially approved (once reviewed), categorized, commented, rated, ...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:49 am »
I like that idea. Installing maps and mods direcly from the game menu. That would save a bunch of time, and would make more players aware of modding.
Bonus: Maps and mods could be officially approved (once reviewed), categorized, commented, rated, ...

Exactly my thoughts. This is the way to go if customization is still important to the developers!

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:46:43 am »
Nice idea but pretty hard to implement , so I don't believe it will ever be. anyway nice idea
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:21:30 pm »
And what do you know about programming anyway to make such a fundamental claim, little one?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:17 pm »
No game i know of has an "official map/mod store", especially not built-in into game (maybe except steam workshop, but that's a bit different thing). Reasoning behind this is, i think simple: Players play online. Downloading map from that store implies playing it offline, which doesn't happen too often.
So for mods - maybeeeee, but that is really low priority. For maps that's a big NO.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »
And what do you know about programming anyway to make such a fundamental claim, little one?
I knew a bit I even scripted once a small game , So I can make that claim.
So Stop posting shit that you assume and spam every thread on this forum.
On-Topic : I think this is a great thing but not really priority nr.1
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 03:27:43 pm »
I like it but it won't happen. We cant even squeeze a devlog out of devs not mentioning actual game addons ;p

Im chill like that

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:41:06 pm »
No game i know of has an "official map/mod store", especially not built-in into game (maybe except steam workshop, but that's a bit different thing). Reasoning behind this is, i think simple: Players play online. Downloading map from that store implies playing it offline, which doesn't happen too often.
So for mods - maybeeeee, but that is really low priority. For maps that's a big NO.
Well, I think there a lot of people love Soldat and they even don't play online much, they want to feel free when playing Soldat with the unlimited map from the store. Creative players will very happy if Soldat get a offical Store with rating, rank, comments... :)
And how the ''Store'' work? : It's similiar with ''Join'', when I join a game with a new map, Soldat will automately download it and I can play the map offline (right?). So making a store with the same work like that make sence :)
(I think the problem is you guys have to rewrite the GUI, right ? Or can you add  ?)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »
IMHO the best way of implementing something like that would be via Steam Workshop, if Soldat ever reaches the state where it can be added to Steam. If not Steam Workshop - a web-based map database would work as well. In fact, we already have one: http://tms.jrgp.org/2010/

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:45 pm »
What's wrong with downloading a zip/rar from a site like TMS and extracting to c:\Soldat? Is that too hard? Recent versions of windows even have built in zip archivers so it's practically copy/paste.

That, and when you join a server with a map you don't have it automatically downloads it, which is probably good enough.
There are other worlds than these

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:39 pm »
How about implementing map packs/mods options to installer? I don't know how it works, so can't argue this further.

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:53:38 am »
What's wrong with downloading a zip/rar from a site like TMS and extracting to c:\Soldat? Is that too hard? Recent versions of windows even have built in zip archivers so it's practically copy/paste.

That, and when you join a server with a map you don't have it automatically downloads it, which is probably good enough.
Developer want to make user focus on what're they doing, not what're they using... So delevoper usually make software more simple and easier to use at this IT century.
As I said, If this too hard, make an Offical Web Page, and make the web more interactive, simple. I don't like TMS interface, it's complicate (especially their poll, I hate that).
Offical Web Page will much better in every way.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:48 am »
Developer want to make user focus on what're they doing, not what're they using... So delevoper usually make software more simple and easier to use at this IT century.
As I said, If this too hard, make an Offical Web Page, and make the web more interactive, simple. I don't like TMS interface, it's complicate (especially their poll, I hate that).
Offical Web Page will much better in every way.

You're right, developers should focus more about the work they're doing rather than the tools involved. However, how is extracting and copying files around a lot of hard work?

Regarding TMS, I appreciate feedback and am willing to revamp the site as needed to make it "easier" to use. Regarding the poll, click "View Old Polls" to see the result of all polls or log in to vote.

And what's the difference between TMS and an "Official Web Page" ? I could very easily change TMS' logo, make maps.soldat.pl point to it, and call it "official". Not that I'd do that without a community vote among other things, but still.
There are other worlds than these

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 11:12:18 am »
TMS is already about as simple and convenient it can get. Time to put your hate umbrella on, jrgp.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 08:42:29 pm »
Yeah, TMS is already the (unofficial) official mapping host, maybe it could be more apparent in the mapping section, I'll work on that
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 07:45:33 am »
and you think this will attract any new players for real?

The Soldat Menu GUI should be updated as suggested month ago in this awesome thread - click here

This would in fact improve Soldat a lot..
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 07:50:31 pm »
and you think this will attract any new players for real?

The Soldat Menu GUI should be updated as suggested month ago in this awesome thread - click here

This would in fact improve Soldat a lot..
+1 Should be considered seriously.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 12:40:30 am »
There are several issues that have to be solved before we can make installing maps easy.
We need to separate user settings and changes from official ones. We also need to make sure you can leanly remove installed maps and mods (works for reg mods probably).
The soldat gui is packed with stuff and there is simply no space for anything. I read about the gui rewrite effort but its not close to what i would like to see.

Merging TMS with soldat.pl would be possible but we dont have enough people to do it. I also rather have it separate for the time beeing. I hope jrgp finds the time to improve the soldat.pl site backend soon. Doing anyhting like that before the site backend is redone is out of question.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod