Author Topic: Soldat Menu GUI  (Read 23338 times)

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
Re: Soldat Menu GUI
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 05:44:27 am »
1) Sub sections, sub tabs (tabs within tabs).
2) A sidebar or bottom bar that can be opened to display additional settings.
3) Vertical scrolling for menu, so that tab contents aren't limited to window's height.
4) A checkbox to hide and show advanced settings.
5) Lots of things can be grouped into dropdown menus and popups (for example, game style selector).
6) Leaving SOME settings in config.exe, only the very least common ones that will not be changed unless there are critical problems with the game or server (connection settings, hardware settings, compatibility settings).

1. Yes. My very first design mockup had this and I think it's a logical and clean way of doing it.
2. Not sure what you mean by this..
3. Maybe. This would be useful if there were so many settings on one page that it couldn't fit in whatever box... but that shouldn't be the case anyway.
4. Maybe. This one is an interesting one. We'd have to think carefully about what would be counted as 'basic' and what would be 'advanced' settings. Also, I feel that this would have to be an added line in the .ini so that it saved whether you wanted advanced or basic settings all the time.
5. No. At least, mostly no. Your example I'd disagree with unless we were completely stuck for space, and conserving it by doing dropdowns is the only option.
6. Having a 'setup' off of the soldat starter was my thought... the stuff that would affect whether the game ran or not, as that was seen as an issue.

I like your structure, and I would be inclined to employ them under sub-categories.
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline Sipar

• Major
    • http://dolinski.cz
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 06:04:13 pm »
My idea at early stage:

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 06:09:08 pm »
Nice design :D
Though atm we're concentrating on structure and layout.
Where stuff could be and how it is arranged.

Join us at #soldat.gui on IRC to debate about it.

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:48 am »
Lol that design of sipar made it already so much better.

You can then actually tell you're playing soldat, instead of people behind are being confused and saying WTF IS THIS!?
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 11:04:24 am »
Since this got bumped, I may as well throw my idea out there:

Made in powerpoint, and is mainly to test out ideas and concepts (like the game selection, bot adding etc).

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 11:06:13 am »
holy shit so nice.

change right now plz
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:53 am »
That's a decent remake. Good job, TGM! I'm all for it :)

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 11:49:17 am »
#soldat.gui for debates about the whole idea of menu redesign.

The devs have much more important things to be thinking of at this very moment, hence why any major changes would be in the far future rather than soon.

Current idea is to combine the most part of config.exe into the game, leaving some options editable from some sort of 'setup' (like most games have :L).

At some point I'll get around to designing the settings pages, however I'd be interested what other people think about structure and design.

Offline bhs

• Major(1)
    • My Artdump
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
Shouldn't the menu be limited to 640x480? Since that is the lowest and most common resolution played on.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
And that is the only option unregistered players have.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:13 pm »
which of these options are more likely to happen when time finally comes for new GUI?
1) Fixed size of 640x480, like it always was.
2) Fixed size of 800x600 or some other resolution.
3) 640x480 with vertical OR horizontal scrolling.
4) 800x600 or other resolution with vertical OR horizontal scrolling.
5) Other?
5) 640x480 and extending depending on settings.
^

Also, the technicalities will be address in due course. This was a mere mockup of ideas for layout.

Offline Majoman

• Major(1)
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »
Since this got bumped, I may as well throw my idea out there:
http://dardar.de/bilder/images/4start2.png

Made in powerpoint, and is mainly to test out ideas and concepts (like the game selection, bot adding etc).

Brilliant, would love to see that in 1.5.1 or maybe in soldat 2.0 which should be released by 2020, gossip says. How about making the background scene moving? Like some .gif or something like that, y'know what I mean. Nothing disturbing ofc, could be slow motion for example. And the small preview is a great idea aswell. Could be a 5-6 secs long .gif.
You've done a menu for "Online play", too? If so, do show, please.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 02:31:08 am »
How about making the background scene moving? Like some .gif or something like that, y'know what I mean. Nothing disturbing ofc, could be slow motion for example.
I have considered that as a possibility before. I quite like the idea, however, as you say - it would have to be slow motion and faded to make it less distracting.*

And the small preview is a great idea aswell. Could be a 5-6 secs long .gif.
I like that idea. Infact, I like that idea more than the moving background.

*I would say that you either have both static (like it appeared in my mockup picture), or one static and the other animated, but not both.

I haven't yet done that. The idea is that "Online play" would take you to something very similar to the current lobby.

However, here's another concept I'd like opinions on... That 'online play' button, on mouse hover opens this:

(or something similar)

I've always wanted to use fav servers, but they've never seemed to work for me..
I think there also needs to be a dropdown box for favservers in the lobby itself, but this is just an extra idea.

Offline bhs

• Major(1)
    • My Artdump
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 02:12:06 pm »
I strongly suggest that the menu's resolution is expanded. Make soldat's resolution setting in config.exe only change in-game resolution. 800x600 is usually the smallest resolution still used today, so I say increase the menu's size to anything between 640x480 to 800x600. This would allow use of better spaced menus, like thegrandmaster's mockup.

Here is a quick little piece that I did this morning. This is how I would compress space on the player setup page. (See Attachments for more details)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:38 pm »
I strongly suggest that the menu's resolution is expanded. Make soldat's resolution setting in config.exe only change in-game resolution. 800x600 is usually the smallest resolution still used today, so I say increase the menu's size to anything between 640x480 to 800x600. This would allow use of better spaced menus, like thegrandmaster's mockup.

Here is a quick little piece that I did this morning. This is how I would compress space on the player setup page. (See Attachments for more details)
Nice mockup, though you forgot about "secondary weapon" and "mouse sensitivity".
By the way, something similar has been already done here: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=36240.msg438274#msg438274

Offline Majoman

• Major(1)
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 04:36:35 pm »
How about making the background scene moving? Like some .gif or something like that, y'know what I mean. Nothing disturbing ofc, could be slow motion for example.
I have considered that as a possibility before. I quite like the idea, however, as you say - it would have to be slow motion and faded to make it less distracting.*

And the small preview is a great idea aswell. Could be a 5-6 secs long .gif.
I like that idea. Infact, I like that idea more than the moving background.

*I would say that you either have both static (like it appeared in my mockup picture), or one static and the other animated, but not both.

I haven't yet done that. The idea is that "Online play" would take you to something very similar to the current lobby.

However, here's another concept I'd like opinions on... That 'online play' button, on mouse hover opens this:

(or something similar)

I've always wanted to use fav servers, but they've never seemed to work for me..
I think there also needs to be a dropdown box for favservers in the lobby itself, but this is just an extra idea.
Great idea. It would definitely make using favorite servers more useful. Can't think of any downsides for this.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 06:33:28 pm »
Mannn can we seriously change the design layout to TGM's!!! It looks fucking insane and I rekon it would encourage so many more people to play. It looks so much more refined and professional!
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 08:45:43 pm »
F12 to the bbs version of menu
F11 to the grandmasters version, would say yes if it was more soldat-like
F12 to the 2 of 10th_accounts ideas of updating the lobby.
The recommended servers things would be nice
and
Removing (WM) tag from server names
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:56:49 pm by Bonecrusher »

Im chill like that

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 10:12:22 pm »
I strongly suggest that the menu's resolution is expanded. Make soldat's resolution setting in config.exe only change in-game resolution. 800x600 is usually the smallest resolution still used today,
I play Soldat on a crt monitor @ 640x480.
Thanks to that low resolution, I can set it to 120Hz.

Please, pretty please don't remove the 640x480 menu GUI resolution.

Thank you for your understanding.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:44 am »
you have a 120Hz CRT? Nice
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*