Author Topic: Resolution extending the gui  (Read 2415 times)

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
Resolution extending the gui
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »
This image pretty much sums it up.

I've always found it a bit annoying, the extra unused room at the right and bottom. It would be pretty cool if some things moved to fill up that room with varying resolutions.

In MSVS, when making an app, you could anchor buttons and things to certain sides of the app (4, 1 for each side). For example the cancel, ping, and filter buttons would be anchored to the bottom right, since they are always a constant distance away from those sides.

Plus now now the lobby box is larger, and its easier to see more things you wanna see without the need to scroll over.

I also moved the "Soldat" icon thing to the top right corner.

It could look even better than what I threw together in paint, I didn't spend much time on it, but the top right area seems a bit empty as well, and some things could be right-anchored over there or something..

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Resolution extending the gui
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:09:45 pm »
Resizability sounds like a nice thing (especially for server list), but it probably won't look good on very high resolutions. Things will end up sliding too far apart.

I can only think of something like this:
The window itself could be resizable, but the GUI would have a fixed width and would be anchored to window's center. Only thing that would actually stretch to FULL width of the window would be server list (pic#1). The rest would just be filled with tileable filler background.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:12:45 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »
I see your point, although your first example screenshot in my opinion just looks a bit funny.

Could modify the idea and make it so it spreads things up to a certain limit, then it maxes out and puts just a border around everything and the main gui is in the center at its max size.

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
  • Scripting beginner, mapper&owner of BCB servers.
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:07:00 pm »
hmmm lol i dont have this empty room lol Oo on my soldat it looks like ur idea actually is Oo^^ may u use a wrong screen size? or does it only match on my soldat Oo?

rofl'd
BCB-Clan Page
You also can find clan BCB on our servers.

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:59 am »
It's the same I've already said in this topic.

Other way is to make Soldat recognize more parameters, it'd allow other people to make good menu with better lobby browser and built-in config.exe. I'd even try it if I had for example -exit param, that'd close Soldat after leaving the server.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:41:51 am »
hmmm lol i dont have this empty room lol Oo on my soldat it looks like ur idea actually is Oo^^ may u use a wrong screen size? or does it only match on my soldat Oo?

rofl'd
change your resolution and it will also happen to you
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »
Our mini-team dedicated to reorganizing and redesigning menu GUI is nearing the 2nd part of this project.. thingy. The layout of the GUI (that is, which element should go where and how much space should it take up).

However what we're missing is some key info on the possible size changes to the menu, so I'd like to ask the devs: which of these options are more likely to happen when time finally comes for new GUI?
1) Fixed size of 640x480, like it always was.
2) Fixed size of 800x600 or some other resolution.
3) 640x480 with vertical OR horisontal scrolling.
4) 800x600 or other resolution with vertical OR horisontal scrolling.
5) Other?

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about main menu interface and NOT the game itself, so don't kill me.. yet.  We just want to know how much room should we expect the menu to have at the very least, so that we have a better idea of how everything will fit in.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »
In my opinion, the actual window size should be the same as whatever the user set for two reasons: (1) when in fullscreen, no resolution change has to be done when joining and leaving a server, and (2) when in windowed mode, if the user has something in the background he wants to see while playing Soldat, he can easily tell if it will be visible when in-game or not (e.g. IRC chat) since the window never changes sizes.

Now the actual size of the content area (including menu and stuff) can be fixed size, possible with just a border / background color change around the rest of the window where the main interface is at. Another option is to move things around. This behavior was also described/mentioned/discussed in this other separate topic Soldat Menu GUI.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »
I was referring more to the content area size. You have a good point though. Because 640x480 is a native resolution it would be annoying to have resolution switch between that and 800x600 each time you switch between game and menu. I guess it'll be safer to just stick to native resolution.

In a way, it makes things simpler. Current content area can simply be anchored to top-center of the window, and the extra space on the sides and bottom can be filled with tiled background image. Pretty much the same thing as I posted here.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:13:44 am »
5) 640x480 and extending depending on settings.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 11:30:54 am »
!WooHoo [fist]