Author Topic: The annoyances that irritates me the most when playing Soldat.  (Read 8003 times)

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Hello Soldat community and Developers.

Here are the 3 annoyances that bother me the most in Soldat.

#1: Mouse buttons get stuck.

This bug occurs when your mouse or yourself have changed the usb polling rate over 125hz ( e.g: 250hz, 500hz, 1000hz )
Concretely what happens, I prone cancel while jetting and the jet button (right click) gets stuck.
I loose all my momentum and often get killed as a result. Round's over.
Happens to me usually +-3 times per round.

@Developers: Could you please take a look at this. Tell me if you need any help in testing.
To reproduce use a high end mouse. Or download a patch to change your usb polling rate.

#2: Fake Cannon Balls makes you throw the flag.

This one has already been discussed in the beta release thread. Like already pointed the new button is nice but what is really needed is a way to disable the "jump+crouch" flag dropping.

#3: The idle animation prevents to use the movement keys.

For example I play in Hns. At one point I have to wait at a corner in the map. When the seeker arrives; I try to move but can't. I usually get killed as a result.

So here is my top 3 annoyances list. I think all of these can be considered as bugs. And they also Have a major impact on the gameplay.

I hope for some feedback from the developers. And want also to thank them for the fast release of the beta!

Thank you.

EDIT 30/05/2012--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As of now issue #1 and #2 are fixed (since version 1.6.0)
I'm very thankful to the developers for fixing this.  :D

issue #3 is tracked at http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=206
and discussed at http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=40097.0

Annoyance #5: The weapon menu that you don't have time to desactivate.
Suggestion: Ability to activate or deactivate the menu at any time.
This has been fixed too.

- Numerous Barrett-related issues: zoom delay, inability to cancel bullet camera, flawed bink and movementacc (barreters sometimes manage to kill me even after I unload half a Steyr clip in their face :| ).
Please report this issues to http://bugs.soldat.pl/view_all_bug_page.php
- Throwing away your weap instead of a knife.
Fixed since version 1.6.3
- Crouchbug (which is kinda funny sometimes)
Fixed since version 1.6.0
- Chatbug (when you can't send any messge and you get an error sound everytime you type something)
- Nades sticking into the ground bouncing continuously with their trail pointing upwards
Tracked at http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=137
- [realistic] When you throw a nade into any enemy or team player right above his head, he doesn't explode. He's pushed quickly to the ground (still having the nade on his head), gets gravity killed and spawns back, then the nade kills him.
I notice this bug also in normal mode. Also happens with m79 bullets. Please report to the bugtracker.
- (not a bug, i just hope they fix this in the new version: make the head collidable with the polys seriously.)
Tracked at http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=186
and discussed at http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=39927.msg489586#msg489586
Tauntlag - it's impossible to use the same taunt more than once in a row in a short delay. Pretty annoying in gamemodes which require use of taunt commans (like LS or TTW)
Very annoying indeed. And useless against spammers since they can use "//" or alternate taunts.
Please report this to the bug tracker!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:33:42 am by Bistoufly »

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
  • Scripting beginner, mapper&owner of BCB servers.
    • BCB-Forum
Re: The annoyances that irritates me the most when playing Soldat.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:14:08 am »
yea that are some of the TOP 5 of annoying bugs, i think they'r aleady discussed and will be fixed in new soldat version.

all of them i know tooooo good^^ happens so often sometimes -.-^^ specially the mouse stuck shit....

4. Crouch bug :D that one u forgot but already disscused and fixed in new version ;D

to point 2 i wanna say : i didnt have any problems so far with flag throw button its necessary to do there something on it.

BCB-Clan Page
You also can find clan BCB on our servers.

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:22:38 am »
My annoyance list is :

1.I spawn and the soldat "smokes" and i cant move and shoot result dead x_X

2.I wait with barrett (prone) and i see a enemy and then my soldat starts to smoke or to scratch his helmet and the aims go to hell result owned

This Should Be changed as fast as possible...
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline filip2322

• Major
  • Gray
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:51:29 am »
I wait with barrett (prone)

Stop camping
Imperare sibi maximum imperium est

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 05:54:42 am »
My annoyance list is :

2.I wait with barrett (prone) and i see a enemy and then my soldat starts to smoke or to scratch his helmet and the aims go to hell result owned

thats no result of a bug... thats result for lame camping lmao xD those problem i didnt have anytime Oo^^ ur too slow^^
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:05:34 am »
Please lets not deviate the subject to camping. That is off topic.

For the crouchbug. it would be my #4 annoyance.
But I know it's already being looked at. Unlike the 3 annoyances I listed which I haven't seen tracked anywhere.

Also to answer GhostRiderSwiss about the flag throwing. It's an issue that affects players that use the fake cannon ball.  ( Fake cannon ball =  >/< (hold) , ^ , v +jet ) 

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:07:29 am »
Please lets not deviate the subject to camping. That is off topic.

For the crouchbug. it would be my #4 annoyance.
But I know it's already being looked at. Unlike the 3 annoyances I listed which I haven't seen tracked anywhere.

Also to answer GhostRiderSwiss about the flag throwing. It's an issue that affects players that use the fake cannon ball.  ( Fake cannon ball =  >/< (hold) , ^ , v +jet ) 

ahhh ok didnt understand this well then^^ thx for example :)
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:51:48 am »
I do have to point out though, that the idle animation was originally implemented by MM to stop people from just staying there in one spot. Kind of an anti-camp thing.

The best thing when it happens is to cancel the animation by tapping the grenade button (E), such that your character will attempt to nade but does not throw a nade, and this cancels any previous animation. If you want to avoid this from happening, just occasionally tap E.

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:48 am »
Bistoufly is completely right. These are huge annoyances.

I haven't had a mouse work out-of-the-box with Soldat since about 2004.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:03 am »
May I add:

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:37:51 am »
the whole idle animation should either not exist or be terminated as soon as the idler moves his mouse.

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:34 am »
May I add:

Bad idea rly rly bad idea CAUZE : for some mods its NEEDED to have the weapons list like it is (not removable without choosing wep) and activate works always when ur death... so no point to fix this in any ways...

i agree on all beside this. (i know would be maybe good to activate it alltime but it would suck on thousands of mods)
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:59:41 am »
My annoyance list is :

thats no result of a bug... thats result for lame camping lmao xD those problem i didnt have anytime Oo^^ ur too slow^^
Im sure im 100x faster then you but if you didnt see a enemy you cant shoot him...

I wait with barrett (prone)

Stop camping

You noob stfu who are you to call me to stop camping ? and im in 90% using spas or ak but sometimes on TW i use sniper. You idiot if you got a brain to flame and annoy use it to  think... then you wouldn't look like a idiot.
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:17 am »
@ SoldatFire... i own u with 1 eye closed... beside this stop feeling attacked cauze i was joking u dont needa rage around cauze of this ...bring constructive critism or just dont post. kk thx.  [retard]  [pigtail]

Watch the language, please...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:48:40 am by Keron Cyst »
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:35 am »
May I add:

Bad idea rly rly bad idea CAUZE : for some mods its NEEDED to have the weapons list like it is (not removable without choosing wep) and activate works always when ur death... so no point to fix this in any ways...

i agree on all beside this. (i know would be maybe good to activate it alltime but it would suck on thousands of mods)

The issue is when you don't have time to close the menu.

Today I was playing on this server:  !RunMode@zabijaka.pl  ip: 46.4.64.195   port: 23075
( !play is the command to start the game if you want to test )

And it was impossible to prevent the weapon menu to appear. Making it impossible to get a good time.
Defeating the purpose of this time trial mode.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 01:40:05 pm »
#1 happens to you +-3 times per round?  Let me know when it happens -3 times... i wanna see that.
with #2 and #3, you're right - learn to not press up and down at the same time when you dont want to throw... also, you shouldn't be camping so much for #3.  just press down quickly to prevent idling...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »
#1 happens to you +-3 times per round?  Let me know when it happens -3 times... i wanna see that.
You mean you don't trust my word on this? You actually want to see it? ???

with #2 and #3, you're right - learn to not press up and down at the same time when you dont want to
Ever heard of "fake cannon balls"?

throw... also, you shouldn't be camping so much for #3.  just press down quickly to prevent idling...
I only play hns and climb. The whole camping concept doesn't even exist in these modes.
I already know how to not go idle. And i already punch every 5 seconds as a reflex.
Am I crazy to think that this shouldn't be necessary?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 07:53:32 pm »
Mouse buttons get stuck - never had that problem but I can imagine how annoying it is...

Accidental flag throwing - annoying.

Idle animation prevents the use of the movement keys - also annoying. Supposedly it should help against camping, but from my experience it's the innocent players who get hurt the most. At the very least increase the time before idle animations by 20 seconds or so.

Weapon menu that pops up when you don't want it to - annoying. Maybe I'm not doing it right, or maybe it's a bug, but it seems to always open even if I disable it.

Btw, about cannonballs... doesn't anyone think they should just be removed? They're basically a design flaw that some people learned to (ab)use to get advantage over less experienced players. :/

-----------

My list of annoyances (other than the ones already mentioned):
- Numerous Barrett-related issues: zoom delay, inability to cancel bullet camera, flawed bink and movementacc (barreters sometimes manage to kill me even after I unload half a Steyr clip in their face :| ).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:03:24 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »
Btw, about cannonballs... doesn't anyone think they should just be removed? They're basically a design flaw that some people learned to (ab)use to get advantage over less experienced players. :/
What cannonballs ??? i play soldat 5 years and i don't know what you talk about (or don't understand)?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »
What cannonballs ??? i play soldat 5 years and i don't know what you talk about (or don't understand)?
It's a trick that basically makes you backflip horisontally and makes you accelerate faster.

That reminds me.. There's also this bug:

More pics and info in this thread: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=37000.0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:27:44 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 02:21:06 am »
And why should they be removed? They're more like advanced movements than bugs, even if you claim that it was a design flaw/unintentional. Removing it would mean removing a huge chunk of climb maps from the mapslist.

Even beginners can learn cannonballing with practice along with jetting and shooting at the same time. I'm not saying they're very easy to learn--everything in this game takes practice to learn.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 03:07:02 am »
There is a lot of players who would simply quit soldat if that happened. And I'm one of them.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 03:39:12 am »
I third this motion, do not remove cannonball. Or prone cancel. Or that weird slide thingy.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Mexer

• Soldier
  • real eyes. realize. real lies.
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 05:29:37 am »
mine are:

- Chatbug (when you can't send any messge and you get an error sound everytime you type something)

- Players spawning teamkilling others (with fist)

- Nades sticking into the ground bouncing continuously with their trail pointing upwards

- [realistic] When you throw a nade into any enemy or team player right above his head, he doesn't explode. He's pushed quickly to the ground (still having the nade on his head), gets gravity killed and spawns back, then the nade kills him.

- (not a bug, i just hope they fix this in the new version: make the head collidable with the polys seriously.)
Soldat devs and community: We want this game to be successful and have new players and make it popular!

Soldat devs and community: But we want the oldskool graphics and bugs and errors to be left alone! Soldat shall never change!!!

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 07:44:42 am »
For me:
1 - Chatbug and general input 'error' bleeps. This occurs every once in a while - it prevents me from using numbers to choose weapons when about to respawn, and prevents me from using the enter key to send my typed message.
2 - Hits not registering damage. Generally found with M79 and M72 law, but also with common grenades - the enemy player is very obviously pushed away from their original path, but no damage is done.
3 - Polybugs. I would've thought someone could have found a solution to this by now ¬.¬
This is also what I suspect causes the 'nade sticking into the ground bouncing' that you said Mexer.
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 07:56:16 am »
- Crouchbug. Have never encountered a single situation where this was funny or helpful in any way.

- Nade-proof shoes

- Chatbug input glitch.

- Those soldiers who have been injected with a special serum that renders their skin impervious to grenade launchers.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 07:57:36 am »
the crouch float bug(2nd screen) has been fixed

Fixed "Crouch Float" bug
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:00:23 am by Bonecrusher »

Im chill like that

Offline tk

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 08:04:35 am »
Tauntlag - it's impossible to use the same taunt more than once in a row in a short delay. Pretty annoying in gamemodes which require use of taunt commans (like LS or TTW)

@down
This solution is insufficient when you have to do a command next to a dead body in crowd of zombies.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:33:18 am by tk »

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:44 am »
i dont got
yep if someone wants to flood he will pres alt+s alt+z and so one....
but the problem got a simply soulution double tapp // this :P

Offline messuh

• Major
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 12:55:39 pm »
- Crouchbug. Have never encountered a single situation where this was funny or helpful in any way.

Ahah it has been helpful for me a lot. I use it to run away or catch someone so I kill him.
But the biggest problem I have is the mouse getting stuck  ;)
"What do I do for a living?" Heh, I pwn all types of nubs, usually with my Sniper and Knife, but I indeed adore to pwn them with my D*ck.

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »
I did tons of caps while crouchbugged.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 05:13:36 pm »
I third this motion, do not remove cannonball. Or prone cancel. Or that weird slide thingy.
Cannonball at least makes sense visually. But prone cancel and sliding clearly look like bugs and I don't see any reason why they should be kept. All they do is further increase the gap between newcomers and experienced players.

I don't understand.. isn't jumping, supermanning and backflipping enough for you people?

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »
@Loner:
I joined a racing server once. wow. they take their racing seriously. I mean lets say they did a few laps in 25s, it would take me 35s on a good run. without prone cancel or cannonballing, that time im sure would increase fairly drastically (plus they would have to get used to the change).

I don't think they should be removed, but thats only because I've recently started trying harder to do them on purpose for a [fair] advantage. Don't count my vote as a whole vote. ^_^

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:35 pm »
Soldat players could make a gamemode even out of crouch bug and polybugs if they wanted to, but it doesn't mean those should just stay there forever and never be fixed.

For racing - it's true that removing some of those moves would increase the time per lap, but that won't mean racing will be ruined. Most of the other moves would still there, except more players will be able to play on equals because they're more likely to know most of the tricks by then (instead of being dominated by meganerds who know every Soldat bug as well).

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 08:08:17 pm »
All they do is further increase the gap between newcomers and experienced players.

soldat is hc

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »
@DorkeyDear:
Hey man. We met in runmode. I'm "Get Flag or Die Trying"  ;)

@loner:
If you take out prone cancel, you can say goodbye to the hns (hide and seek) community and to the racing servers.
Also a growing number of climb maps requires prone cancel.
Ask Chutem, he made a fabulous map based on it.

Anyway as for the unfair advantage, I don't see it, really.
I mean. Take a look at the new video by Banana San. http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=39873.0;topicseen
There are no fancy movements in it. Yet the guy pwns everything like there is no tomorrow.

Offline Mighty

• Camper
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:58 am »
By the way we should add an auto-aim for anyone. Coz otherways newcomers have less winning chance. And lets add inf ammo in a clip, some1 might not know that "r" reloads. Just stupid examples.
Prone cancel makes the game much faster and thats one of soldats advantages. It might not be realistic, but hey, its Soldat.

However, prone bug should be removed imho as it only causes more hits and warps. And prone cancel is enough to fly around rapidly.
xFire: macmil        e-mail: macekmil@gmail.com
My scripts: Accuracy Script       Flashbang       Punishments GUID
            CatchMe Gamemod       AntiFake
            CW System             AntiFakeGUID

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 07:05:19 pm »
Soldat is very unpredictable and there are many small things that could potentially kill you or save your life. Like on this picture:

It can be useful, for example if you are supermanning and about to hit the corner of a building, rather than standing up, just slide over it, easy!

Knowing how to use those bugs to your advantage increases your chances of survival a bit. I admit, I haven't seen too many people use those, but maybe that's because I was too busy paying attention to other things, or because I only play on pubs where there aren't as many players who know about those tricks. However it's possible for them to make a life/death or even loss/victory difference.

Again, I wouldn't mind them as much if they at least made some sense, but some of those tricks are as random as "stand on your head, fart 3 times and yell SQUIRREL while facing east, and you'll get the ability to stick yourself to the ceiling for 1 second". It's not even about realism - it's about common sense.

-----------

@loner:
If you take out prone cancel, you can say goodbye to the hns (hide and seek) community and to the racing servers.
I don't play those on regular basis, I only played them on public servers and to me they're still fun even though I don't know all of the tricks. I still don't believe that removing prone cancel and a few other tricks will kill those game modes. For super-mega-pros who played nothing but climbing/hns/racing for years - perhaps, but probably only because they're the kind of people who can't stand changes, especially ones that make them (pros) less "special".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:07:27 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:21 am »
Yeah I will definately miss crouch float bug a lot!

Im chill like that

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:43 am »
A little update:

As of now issue #1 and #2 are fixed (since version 1.6.0)
I'm very thankful to the developers for fixing this.  :D

issue #3 is tracked at http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=206
and discussed at http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=40097.0

This has been fixed too.

Please report this issues to http://bugs.soldat.pl/view_all_bug_page.php
Fixed since version 1.6.3
Fixed since version 1.6.0
Tracked at http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=137
I notice this bug also in normal mode. Also happens with m79 bullets. Please report to the bugtracker.
Tracked at http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=186
and discussed at http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=39927.msg489586#msg489586
Very annoying indeed. And useless against spammers since they can use "//" or alternate taunts.
Please report this to the bug tracker!