Author Topic: Spectator mode  (Read 1597 times)

Offline sneakyg

• Major
Spectator mode
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:32:14 am »
Streaming sctfl matches is very popular nowadays and is being done for every playoff match.

Would be nice to add a few things that would make it easier to get to the action.

Being able to bind players to a key instead of having to click on them. This is difficult atm because they have to remember the order of the clicks for each player and this changes when people rejoin etc.

Ability to bind a certain area of the map to a key. You could hold control+a key and click on a spot, when you next press ctrl+that key it would take you to that spot(dunno if this is possible)

just small things but would be a nice addition :)

Offline ginn

• Camper
Re: Spectator mode
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:26 am »
something like being able to bind players by ctrl+1 -> ctrl+0 and then going to them by pressing that number would help immensely. However, if that's too much work... Simply making you navigate trough alpha players by right clicking and bravo players by left clicking (like it is now... but all alpha players are on left click, and all bravo players on right click).

Offline AdamD

• Major
  • hi its me your IRC pal dicko
    • i make games sometimes too.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:34:56 am »
yes! very good idea.
vam; dicko
vagabonds & miscreants

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »
Simply making you navigate trough alpha players by right clicking and bravo players by left clicking (like it is now... but all alpha players are on left click, and all bravo players on right click).

I'd like that.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:03:55 am »
Not bad idea at all. But it's another thing that will be dropped to the big bag called "things to do after Soldat's code is cleaned up". So just don't forget it after Soldat is done for improvements.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:53:22 am »
Simply making you navigate trough alpha players by right clicking and bravo players by left clicking (like it is now... but all alpha players are on left click, and all bravo players on right click).
It currently goes thought player ids left click increases the player-id right click decreases it.

Maybe instead of changing that it should use ctrl+click for team based player switching.
But that wouldn't help a lot either because you still have to switch between players to find the right one.

Ctrl+1.. to assign players is bad as it will collide with the secondary weapon number choose hotkeys in dead player spectator mode.
Ctrl+a.. aren't use afaik so they could be used.

Assigning view areas could be done with ctrl+a.. keys (not sure how exactly though) but is has to be disabled for dead player spectators (could be abused).
There are lots of possible options (follow flag, flagger, jump to spawnpoint, jump to higerst kill player etc...) which could be implemented but not everything is necessary so lets find a good solution which doesn't make soldat cause unexpected behavior (aka you assign the view area xy to your chat key...).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:03:37 am »
There are lots of possible options (follow flag, flagger, jump to spawnpoint, jump to higerst kill player etc...) which could be implemented but not everything is necessary so lets find a good solution which doesn't make soldat cause unexpected behavior (aka you assign the view area xy to your chat key...).
Well, some things like those ones can be used thanks to Cmd command line... For example:

Command nameOptionsExamples
SHOWplayer_id / flag / area / battleSHOW 2 / SHOW redflag / SHOW bluebase / SHOW battle
FOLLOWplayer_id / flagFOLLOW 2 / FOLLOW redflag

Looks to long to write it ingame? Spects those make movies shouldhave their own Taunts for that kind of opportunity.

Let me explain things those might have been misunderstanding.
So SHOW battle moves camera to place where bulletCreate function has been executed last time.
SHOW area is for switching between areas of map like up/mid/low. Of course some update of PMS files would be needed (creators would have to implement positions of new markers) but it's something what should be done. PMS files needs new improvements like mini previews (we spoke about it before on forums).

Offline Fede-

• Major(1)
  • Rasta la Victoria siempre!
    • Soldat Argentina
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:43:45 am »
good idea :O

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »
As spectator controls should only be available for spectators there need to be no worry about them covering other useful keys (like shift+1 covering secondary weapon key).

How I would want it to be, is to have the 0-9 keys to be beind able.
Shift+<key> sets a player slot.
Ctrl+<key> sets a camera position.
<key> goes to either player or camera position.

To put it in an example.
Lets say there's a 3v3 CTF game.
I start off with hotkeying the players, so I'll be using the Shift key.
Spectating the first player, pressing shift+1.... there after goes trough all the players and marking them with shift+2, shift+3, shift+4, shift+5, shift+6.
- Now I have all the players hot keyed.
I might also want to set a camera position somewhere on the maps, lets say at both flags.
So, I move my view to the alpha flag, and then I press Ctrl+7, then to the bravo flag, pressing Ctrl+8.

Now if I want to view the first player I'll press 1... to then view the bravo flag I'll press 8.

Though, I guess it could be possible to bind any key. But at the very least I'd love to have the 0-9 keys bindable.
However, these controls should be automatically disabled when you open the chat, and enabled once you close it.