Author Topic: Server-Side Coloring  (Read 932 times)

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
Server-Side Coloring
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:33:33 pm »
It would be nice to have colors more customizable and controllable on a server. Colors being player part colors (shirt, pants, hair, jet, skin), flag colors, general team colors, and possibly others I am forgetting.

One possibility is to have configuration in Soldat.ini with customization available.

<TeamName>Color=...
e.g. AlphaColor=#FF0000

<TeamName>FlagColor=...
e.g. AlphaFlagColor=TeamColor

<Part>Color=...
where part could be: shirt, pants, hair, jet, skin
e.g. ShirtColor=#FF7F00

... could be:
Hex RGB / ARGB value
"TeamColor" - the selected team color (not available to <TeamName>Color :P)
"ClanColor" - behavior like that of the clanmatch feature available in the client
"UserColor" - whatever the client had selected
"Default" - default value; the actual value varies depending on gamemode

The default values:
AlphaColor=Default
AlphaFlagColor=Default
BravoColor=Default
BravoFlagColor=Default
CharlieColor=Default
DeltaColor=Default

ShirtColor=Default
PantsColor=Default
HairColor=Default
JetColor=Default
SkinColor=Default

a possible CTF-specific "default" setup:
AlphaColor=#FF0000
AlphaFlagColor=TeamColor
BravoColor=#0000FF
BravoFlagColor=TeamColor
CharlieColor=#FFFF00
DeltaColor=#00FF00

ShirtColor=TeamColor - in a DM, this would be UserColor
PantsColor=UserColor
HairColor=UserColor
JetColor=UserColor
SkinColor=UserColor

There may also be an option for text color (in score table, speaking, etc. maybe different for each thing) since you really don't want red text to be seen when alpha color was changed to, say, orange. This also can allow people to be on a team without players actually knowing what team they are on (whether a real team or a scripted virtual team), except the join team message may still appear.

... may also be "auto" which is what varies depending on gamemode, and is only available to those that actually vary depending on gamemode (e.g. flag color in inf is different than ctf), but I don't see it being very necessary to have both Auto and Default. Either one is sufficient I think.

This feature also in itself supplies with the ability for server to require a "clanmatch" equivalent setup for all players on the server. To do so, you can simply set <TeamName>Color to ClanColor.

Another possibility is to have it available via scripting.

SetTeamColor(const Team: byte; const Color: longint);
etc.

or possibly SetColor(const ColorId: byte; const Color: longint);
where ColorId represents a sort of identifier of every color that can be changed.

This can allow for even more interesting setups, including creating more than 4 "teams" (although there will only be four, you can kind of fake it).

Just a side suggestion: same thing could be applied to hair style etc., but probably much more useless ^_^ could make zombies look more zombie-like and all looking the same
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:35:57 pm by DorkeyDear »