Poll

make it possible to disable the weapon menu even after you have respawned

Yes - F12 :)
No - F11 :(

Author Topic: Weapon menu disabling  (Read 6228 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Weapon menu disabling
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:42:00 pm »
As Curt pointed out for me: Before you have spawned you can disable the weapon menu by pressing the 'tab' button (default) But, after you have spawned you are not able to do so, and sometimes the respawn time is low.

My suggestion is therefor to make it possible to disable the weapon menu even after you have respawned. 

DarkCrusade

Re: Weapon menu disabling
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:42:40 pm »
Yeah, why not? Not much of an issue, though.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:44:14 pm »
Yes, f12. Not dead serious thing, but would be better like this.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:45:45 pm »
I found this extremely annoying with climbing or near weapon-less servers (such as the multimode server) with a short respawn time.

Thank you much.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »
Definitely F12.
Sometimes you respawn in just 60 ticks and it's a pain in the ass. You can still use Tab by default.
b&

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »
As Curt pointed out for me: Before you have spawned you can disable the weapon menu by pressing the 'tab' button (default) But, after you have spawned you are not able to do so, and sometimes the respawn time is low.

My suggestion is therefor to make it possible to disable the weapon menu even after you have respawned.

+100000000

Yeah, why not? Not much of an issue, though.

O: That's all this does to you?

It's one of the most frustrating problem I encountered in soldat.
Sometimes the spawn time is so low, it's simply impossible to disable the weap menu.

F12 wholeheartedly!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:57:34 pm »
Big fat sweaty-ass-shakin' F12

So if you press weapon menu button - you'll disable it and it will never appear again during the game, and if you press weapon menu button again - weapon menu will appear next time you respawn, right?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 06:10:31 pm »

I just wanted to stress that this is not of high importance compared to other stuff.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 06:16:22 pm »

I just wanted to stress that this is not of high importance compared to other stuff.

Actually, no other gameplay related problem (Other than weapons randomly reloading right after you spawn, or when you're just half-way through a clip), annoys me as much as this.
Speaking for myself here, of course.
b&

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 06:25:01 pm »
Big fat sweaty-ass-shakin' F12

So if you press weapon menu button - you'll disable it and it will never appear again during the game, and if you press weapon menu button again - weapon menu will appear next time you respawn, right?
That's right. You need to be able to enable it again while you're not dead, otherwise it would be impossible if respawntime= 0
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:28:06 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 07:09:19 am »
I think that it should come immediatly when you press tab, it would be confusing if player pressed tab earlier and nothing comes, but when he dies it hops into the screen.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 09:12:53 am »
That is why there is a console readout telling you whether the weapons menu is enabled or not Monsteri
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:55 am »
And what would you say for autoselecting weapon if there is no other choice? For example if there is only one primary and one secondary ( or no secondary at all )? Weapon menu is pointless if you can't choose anything other.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 09:52:20 am »
Na, no one wouldn't understand it either. ''FEECK IWANNA ANOTHER WEPIN!!''
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:50 am »
He could turn on the weaponmenu with tab then? It's just when you enter game and the weaponmenu should appear first time, it'd automatically take the only possible weap.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:38 am »
Polifen makes a good point - I have found this irritating on many occasions.

If automation isnt going to be built in, I wonder if its possible for server scripts to hook into the weapons menu at all?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:28 am »
If automation isnt going to be built in, I wonder if its possible for server scripts to hook into the weapons menu at all?

Not possible - as of now. But it's likely happening that Polifen's suggestion gets implemented than a change in the crapcore.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:52 pm »
And what would you say for autoselecting weapon if there is no other choice? For example if there is only one primary and one secondary ( or no secondary at all )? Weapon menu is pointless if you can't choose anything other.

Yes! That too! f12

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »
He could turn on the weaponmenu with tab then? It's just when you enter game and the weaponmenu should appear first time, it'd automatically take the only possible weap.
I would not support that because that situaion is rare, and what if you want to start with no gun at all..
You made me realise somehing though, when you join a game and get the weapons menu, you need to be forced to pick a gun for the first time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:59:45 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 11:41:55 pm »
Starting without a gun is completly useless, why would you do it? You have to pick a gun now and it's fine, you're soldier and you can use weapon ( even if you just run for flags, you can spray some snipes, so they won't kill you ).

DarkCrusade

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 11:51:55 pm »
You made me realise somehing though, when you join a game and get the weapons menu, you need to be forced to pick a gun for the first time.

Fucking pacifists these days

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:00 am »

f**king pacifists these days
Hehe, sometimes I like to keep secondary empty so I can pick up a second primary weapon instead. I would probbably do that in a server where only 1 secondary and 1 primary was avalable. Or use an auto-selector, I'm sure someone has made one.

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 04:41:07 am »
As far as i remember there is possibility to select secondary weapon in player's menu so it could pick it automatically and if it's not availabe just don't select any weapon. If player would want an secondary weapon he could just use tab to select weapon.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:11 am »
Some sort of auto choice would make it easier to use. I don't feel like thinking right now on exact behavior, you guys can continue discussing that ^_^

Being able to deselect weapons from the menu, or a new option for fists (for both primary and secondary) would resolve any issue in regards to not wanting a weapon (as apposed to the option of dropping the gun right away).

And while we're at it, disabling all weapons via scripting keeps the menu :( I hope this is fixed (although I never tested it with the beta, and can't atm).

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 01:08:31 pm »
Ok.
You want to have this fixed so my current suggestion is: press ctrl+alt+shift+p 3 times and then make a backflip to disable the menu for the next time.
Enabling is not possible unless you are regged.

If you have a better solution please say it.

---

Just kidding.
But I really need to know the behavior you think it should have.

Also notice that there are issues:
Weaponsmenu needs to be hidden or else you can take another weapon while you are alive.
Weaponsmenu autoselect may be annoying aswell (you take the default weapons by mistake)
Weaponsmenu issues with alt+tab
Currently it's not possible to have no weapons unless primaries ans/or secondaries are disabled.
Advanced mode issues (your weapon is not available anymore)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:15:56 pm by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »
I don't get the problem - tab to turn it on/off on respawn ( if you press tab while alive it will appear after you respawn, there must be already such variable now ),

And autoselect was meand as if there is only one weapon to choose - for example Dodgeball with only knife or some only snipe servers menu shouldn't appear for the first time you spawn but there should still be possible to turn it on with tab.

Another possibility would be to use the default secondary ( and preferably add primary ) to highlight the weapon ( let's say autochoose it ), but still show weaponmenu. What would it give? If you always play barrett + knife you would just click tab once after joining game wthiout clicking barrett and knife. That shouldn't be hard to implement, just set choosen weap to primary and secondary from player options.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 04:27:32 pm »
I'm not sure if I have the time to add this but before I forget I'll add a

Note:
Toggle visibility of weaponsmenu for next respawn: Tab (actually weaponsmenu key)
Add text which indicates change for next respawn (make sure it gets translated).

when only one primary weapon is available -> select it
when only one secondary weapon is available -> select it
when there are more then one secondary weapon and your fav is there -> select it

When there is nothing to choose -> hide weaponsmenu (autoselect chooses weapons for you)
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »
Note:
Toggle visibility of weaponsmenu for next respawn: Tab (actually weaponsmenu key)
Add text which indicates change for next respawn (make sure it gets translated).
NO. I wouldn't want to spend time trying to figure out if my weapon menu is ON or OFF.

The only thing you need to fix is that you can't use 'tab' after you have respawned.

If you want to spend more time on it I wouldn't mind if you added:
-when only one primary weapon is available -> select it
-when only one secondary weapon is available -> select it
-when there are more then one secondary weapon and your fav is there -> select it
-when there is nothing to choose -> hide weaponsmenu (autoselect chooses weapons for you)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:12:09 pm by homerofgods »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 10:49:25 pm »
I gave it some thought (it was harder than I expected...), and managed to break it down into this:

A weapon menu can be in one of these 3 states:
state: ON
- Show weapon menu after each time player dies.
- Show weapon menu when you're already dead, but the menu was in OFF or HIDDEN state.

state: HIDDEN
- Hide weapon menu this one time, but still show it on next death.

state: OFF
- NEVER show it during the game, unless player toggles it to ON, or leaves and rejoins the server.

How these states can be activated:
~ Pressing a designated button: toggle menu between ON/OFF states. (pressing the button while menu is HIDDEN will switch it to ON state)
~ Clicking outside of weapon menu while it's ON: set the menu to HIDDEN state.

Possible extra features:
~ Player should not respawn until he has picked a weapon.
~ An option to choose default state for weapon menu when joining a server (either ON or OFF (regardless of the choice, the menu will still be shown at least once, when player first joins a server)).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:07:21 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »
I gave it some thought (it was harder than I expected...), and managed to break it down into this:

A weapon menu can be in one of these 3 states:
state: ON
- Show weapon menu if it's in OFF or HIDDEN state.

state: HIDDEN
- Hide weapon menu this one time, but still show it on next death.

state: OFF
- NEVER show it during the game, unless player toggles it to ON, or leaves and rejoins the server.

How these states can be activated:
~ Pressing a designated button: toggle menu between ON/OFF states.
~ Clicking outside of weapon menu while it's ON: set the menu to HIDDEN state.

Possible extra features:
~ Player should not respawn until he has picked a weapon.
~ An option to choose default state for weapon menu when joining a server (either ON or OFF (regardless of the choice, the menu will still be shown at least once, when player first joins a server)).

I like it.
It would totally work for me.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 02:49:21 am »
Hmm, isn't it already like that that if you click somewhere else than the weaponmenu, (if you have choosed weapons) it disappears until next death?

But anyways, only thing what should be done to the weapon menu, is that players should be able to activate during life, and choose the next weapons.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:50:57 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:35 am »
It already is like that. The reason I mentioned it because I wanted to describe EVERYTHING about how improved weapon menu should work, not just the new things.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 07:50:02 am »
You are over complicating things. The only problem here is with Activating / Disabling weapons menu wich can only be done with 'tab' when you are dead.
My suggestion is simply to allow Disabling / Activating after you have respawned, because of the short respawn time you sometimes have.

Clicking anywhere outside the menu will auto-chose if it's not the first time, but it will not disable the weapon menu, and it shouldn't either.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:54:09 am by homerofgods »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 10:02:08 am »
Ok Fixed.

How it works:
When you join a game soldat will select weapons if there is no other choice (e.g. only 1 primary or 1 secondary weapon available)
You can hide the weaponsmenu when you hit tab and you have chosen your weapons.
You can toggle the if the weaponsmenu will be shown on next respawn when you are alive and press tab.
Rules