Author Topic: Soldat Demos' Hosting Website  (Read 2026 times)

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Soldat Demos' Hosting Website
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:16:26 am »
I've got some nice idea about Soldat demos, but dev's help is needed...  ;)

So, I would like to create a website what will be hosting sdm files... Ok, it sounds like any other hosting website, but... I want to make there button like Play!. If you click that, Soldat will automatically download demo from website and play it with chosen options about speed etc... The link hidden under Play! button will look like it:

soldat://demo:ID_OF_DEMO/FREECAM;SPEED;NO_TEXT;EXTRACT

For example:

soldat://demo:ClloTWxH7Lg/1;100;0;0

As you can see - devs' help is needed... They have to code that to next Soldat's version...

Ok, that's all! I'll be waiting for answear!  :P
machina

Offline Mr

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
Re: Soldat Demos' Hosting Website
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:35:52 am »
I suggest using a format which allows passing a link to the game instead of embedding an ID into the link.

soldat.sdm:http://example.com/demos/demofile.sdm#freecam=1&speed=100&notext=1&extract=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_scheme

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:12:45 am »
Mhm, that will make possible giving direct links to files of any hosting... Why not! But website would be cool, too... I'm going to create some lay-out... :)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:36:22 am »
Sounds like a bad idea, because if someone finds a bug in soldats demo code he could exploit it.
You should also know that the soldat clicker starts the last installed version of soldat so it will not work when someone has the beta installed or when a new version of soldat gets released or when someone has an older version installed.

Therefor I suggest you write a soldat demo dropper tool which allows players to drop their demos on it and it will start soldat (maybe also detect the corret version).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Mr

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:40:56 am »
Sounds like a bad idea, because if someone finds a bug in soldats demo code he could exploit it.

If there is a bug in the demo processor, the bug also most likely exists in the networking code, which makes having links to Soldat demos the smaller issue.
I find this requested feature very useful, especially for creating SCTFL match reports. This way, they can be written in plain HTML without the need to download files to watch the full match.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:39:00 am »
Whatabout this: In config you can set the demos to be saved either into the um..current or into .avi? The demos would be much easier to edit also, if they were saved in .avi.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Mr

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:18:03 am »
Whatabout this: In config you can set the demos to be saved either into the um..current or into .avi? The demos would be much easier to edit also, if they were saved in .avi.

How is that related to the current topic? Do you mean that instead one could put an AVI on the website?
I don't think that this serves the purpose as you can't see the full match on an AVI / a video in general.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »
I was recording to Shoozza's post.

But true, as .avi only the player himself would be visible. Anyways, I think it could be a nice feature.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:25:10 pm by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »
Yea, but it's idea for another moment... Much later...

Shoozza, it's not a difficult thing to do... I can create website code with some help of someone another, but without your (as main developer) help it doesn't make any sens... Please, show us you care about Soldat, about community... And you want make our lifes simplier and better with that such useful thing... :)

EDIT: My friend will help me to create a webite's code...

EDIT2:
You should also know that the soldat clicker starts the last installed version of soldat so it will not work when someone has the beta installed or when a new version of soldat gets released or when someone has an older version installed.
Who cares... If you released the new 1.5.1 version, everybode would move to that one... It has happened while 1.5.0 was released and will happen one more time... It is time to make something new in Soldat!  :)

Therefor I suggest you write a soldat demo dropper tool which allows players to drop their demos on it and it will start soldat (maybe also detect the corret version).
Possible, but it's only a midway to create something really useful... Why shouldn't we make it as full...?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:25:06 am by machina »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 04:31:55 pm »
bad idea

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 02:54:01 am »
bad idea
Oh, you're gonna earn some free posts to get next rank...? Two words are too little "argument" about why it's a bad idea...