Author Topic: Stop what you're doing and laugh at the U.S.  (Read 45294 times)

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
Stop what you're doing and laugh at the U.S.
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:57:07 am »
This is only the tip of the iceberg really.

http://ncse.com/news/2011/04/tennessee-antievolution-bill-passes-house-006609

In case you didn't wrap your brain around the jargain, basically it would mean teachers and schools would be allowed to promote whatever ideological belief they want into science classes as alternative science and misrepresent current scientifically solid understandings as being entirely questionable, falsifiable and replaceable. The same legislation, or similar, is also being pushed in Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kentucky.

Also... on the subject of Kentucky and backwardness...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335000/Religious-theme-park-scale-Noah-s-Ark-built-Kentucky.html

So I'm curious, where did they get the design plans for a boat that never existed? Anyone? Well... I would love this park to actually flood. Insurmountable irony!

Discuss the motives behind butthurt Christians desperately trying to shit over the education of future generations. The rise of atheism, humanism and secularity? Are Americans even aware of what is going on? Or are they entranced and incased in an inpenetrable bubble of hysterically deluded Nascar-based patriotism. Go.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

DarkCrusade

Re: Stop what you're doing and laugh at the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:22:26 am »
I bet the biggest investor is the government of the USA itself. Just another try to keep people stupid and susceptible to manipulation, directly after Spongebob.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:29:15 am »
have you watched Bill Maher's Religulous?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:31:08 am by Horve »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:25:09 am »
Even as an atheist, I don't believe atheism is some sort of universal truth that everyone needs to accept. Just as one man's medicine is another's poison, truth can be equally constructive and destructive. It is a deadly presumption to think everyone can benefit from scientific truth, as that requires a faith in Humans as blindly as religion does.
Objectivity is the fundamental scaffolding of scientific truth; however the need for faith found in the isolated and insular parts of the world undermines that objectivity as scientific truth becomes nothing more than a faith itself. Yet the difference between science-religion and religion is that science-religion inherits the empowering qualities of science; what you get is not a faithful herd of sheep, but a noisy rabble of pretentious, half-educated rebels.
With that said, I would rather the boondocks be pacified with false faith than empowered by truths they cannot handle.

While the popular mantra among young people is freedom and enlightenment for all, remember that, until we can exist as a hive-mind of absolute equals in physiology and philosophy, our society will always be stratified. In order for there to be leaders, there must be followers.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:27:40 am by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:38:29 am »
So I'm curious, where did they get the design plans for a boat that never existed? Anyone?

It couldn't possibly be because, fictional or not, the Bible gives the ark's dimensions...
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:59:48 am »
Even as an atheist, I don't believe atheism is some sort of universal truth that everyone needs to accept. Just as one man's medicine is another's poison, truth can be equally constructive and destructive. It is a deadly presumption to think everyone can benefit from scientific truth, as that requires a faith in Humans as blindly as religion does.

Noone said that they're dumb for believing in God. They're dumb for believing into Intelligent Design and Creationism. You either believe in God or don't. I've seen enough teachers who teach biology and religion to say that science and religion may be two different things, but they don't preclude another - at least in some cases.

Objectivity is the fundamental scaffolding of scientific truth; however the need for faith found in the isolated and insular parts of the world undermines that objectivity as scientific truth becomes nothing more than a faith itself. Yet the difference between science-religion and religion is that science-religion inherits the empowering qualities of science; what you get is not a faithful herd of sheep, but a noisy rabble of pretentious, half-educated rebels.
With that said, I would rather the boondocks be pacified with false faith than empowered by truths they cannot handle.

Half-educated rebels as you call them are nothing more than easy victims for manipulation, and the American governemnt has mastered manipulation (for example telling lies about Canadian, French, English and Cuban health system which all are better than the American one). I'd like to stress here that these "religions" are supported by a government which I believe has the best scientists in the world. And lets not forget about how Scientology is approved as a true religion in the US as well! I'm not saying they use Scientology for their own aims, but it's making me sick how they support a company which's only purpose is to ruin people's life.

While the popular mantra among young people is freedom and enlightenment for all, remember that, until we can exist as a hive-mind of absolute equals in physiology and philosophy, our society will always be stratified. In order for there to be leaders, there must be followers.

How old are you to say that? You're no older than 30, stop acting aloof already!

What does this have to do with religion anyway? The pope is only a spiritual leader, and a less and less popular one. Every nation has some kind of leader, and that's it.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:45 am »

What does this have to do with religion anyway? The pope is only a spiritual leader, and a less and less popular one. Every nation has some kind of leader, and that's it.

Just wanted to point out that the entire world shook on it's knees when John Paul II died.
Some leaders are as an extension of their humanitarian actions ideological leaders as well.
b&

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:31:04 am »
Just wanted to point out that the entire world shook on it's knees when John Paul II died.

Very true.  The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, my hometown's paper, had its entire front page dedicated to the event.  I've never seen anything like it.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:44:26 am »

Hey, I agree that atheism isn't a universal truth and it doesn't promote itself to be an absolute truth. But with regards to fact and fiction, I personally feel very strongly that everybody is better off understanding what is true what isn't. Comfort and hope in a fairytale is false comfort and false hope. The more informed a person is about what is actually most likely to be true the better they can understand reality and make informed decisions within it.

Evolution is as far as scientific theories go as solid and factual as things can get. Refusal to even try to understand it as an elegant explanation of truthful observations in reality is pure and utter ignorance. Religious people dispute it on an ideological grounds, not a scientific one.

Here's a nice example of that:

It couldn't possibly be because, fictional or not, the Bible gives the ark's dimensions...

Don't make me howl. How about the shape? Pictorial references? Blueprints? Material specifications? You can't just build a replica of something purely based off dimensions. Go on, let me tell you the wingspan and length of a B17 Bomber and you go and build a replica of one without knowing anything else about it.

I'm not even going to touch on that this came out of a book with a talking snake.

No, I think you'll find he just shook on his knees on a daily basis...  :P

But seriously, I think you'll find it just shook the Catholic world. It certainly didn't affect me. The Pope is a man who is supposed to be able to communicate directly with God. If the Christian God doesn't exist then by definition the Pope must be either an atheist or he must be mentally ill.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:17:31 pm »

Don't make me howl. How about the shape? Pictorial references? Blueprints? Material specifications? You can't just build a replica of something purely based off dimensions. Go on, let me tell you the wingspan and length of a B17 Bomber and you go and build a replica of one without knowing anything else about it.

The Bible isn't exactly vague about it.
Quote from: Genesis 6:14-16
So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out.  This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high. Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit high all around. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks.

Besides, it's not a plane, it's a BOAT.  You make a hollow container out of wood and it'll float.  It's not exactly rocket science.  After that, you narrow it down the same way you reach a scientific conclusion: historical cultural analysis to determine how it might have been constructed, geographical considerations to narrow down the wood used, buoyancy and stability testing to optimize the exact shape of it, and so on.  Eventually, you'll reach a conclusion.

For such a fierce advocate of science, you sure seem to miss some obvious applications of it.

I'm not even going to touch on that this came out of a book with a talking snake.

Apparently you are.
Gamer_2k4

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 03:04:20 pm »

No, I think you'll find he just shook on his knees on a daily basis...  :P

But seriously, I think you'll find it just shook the Catholic world. It certainly didn't affect me. The Pope is a man who is supposed to be able to communicate directly with God. If the Christian God doesn't exist then by definition the Pope must be either an atheist or he must be mentally ill.

You don't mock the dead, son, that just isn't right.

And no, I live in the Hashemite Kingdom Of Jordan where a staggering 90%(+) of the population is Muslim, and the news channels kept on the news for about an entire month.
Not to mention the prayers that were raised in MOSQUES for him.
b&

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 04:20:48 pm »
FSM/IPU.

Related to that thing, on the current census going on here, im going to declare myself as a Pastafarian.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 04:23:04 pm »
Sounds like you need religion just as much as the others who practice religion, if they (nascar big gulps walmarts) were to believe in the manner in which you do (looking for the most likely possibility over less likely), you'd have nothing to bitch about.

I don't see why you care enough for this bullshit to matter anyways.  Mocking it, hating it, dismissing, or believing it; that takes far too much effort.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:25:12 pm »
Besides, it's not a plane, it's a BOAT.  You make a hollow container out of wood and it'll float.  It's not exactly rocket science.  After that, you narrow it down the same way you reach a scientific conclusion: historical cultural analysis to determine how it might have been constructed, geographical considerations to narrow down the wood used, buoyancy and stability testing to optimize the exact shape of it, and so on.  Eventually, you'll reach a conclusion.

For such a fierce advocate of science, you sure seem to miss some obvious applications of it.

And after all of that you end up with an ark which you assume is probably roughly similar to the definitive one of a kind boat you are trying to recreate.

So make yourself an aeroplane of aluminium; give it a cockpit and controls and coat it with paint.  This is how you are to build it: The plane is to be 74 foot and 4 inches long, 103 foot 9 inches wide and 19 foott 1 inches high. Make an engine for it, leaving below the plane some wheels to land upon. Put seats inside of the plane, and bombs and guns...

Add your guesswork into the equation and you do not end up with what you set out to replicate. Neither do they.

You can either man up and admit and accept that or you can strain your lovely brain trying to justify that they are basically guessing at what the ark looked like (if it existed at all). I mean it's not like someone who was writing the Bible just came up with some measurements that were large because it had to be quite a large ark and then a vague description like make rooms in it. Right?

Tiny rooms for the insects and large rooms for the elephants and refrigerated rooms for the polar bears! Food for all the animals, particularly the ones who eat other animals, so do we need extra animals? What about plants? No plants on board? what do the plant eaters eat?

Sounds like you need religion just as much as the others who practice religion, if they (nascar big gulps walmarts) were to believe in the manner in which you do (looking for the most likely possibility over less likely), you'd have nothing to b***h about.

I don't see why you care enough for this bulls**t to matter anyways.  Mocking it, hating it, dismissing, or believing it; that takes far too much effort.

I get far too much enjoyment from mocking them, sorry. But your attitude also stinks, why care? Well... in 20 years down the line when half the science graduates in America believe that man and dinosaur co-existed and aren't going to be taken seriously by properly educated people who aren't even scientists will you still not care? Should they care? Should anyone care?

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 06:52:11 pm »
Noah's Ark

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 07:15:44 pm »
Well... in 20 years down the line when half the science graduates in America believe that man and dinosaur co-existed and aren't going to be taken seriously by properly educated people who aren't even scientists will you still not care? Should they care? Should anyone care?

No. This is Soldatforums.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »
What the hell are you guys doing.

Let Mangled present his ideas, he's probably the only braincell this forum has besides Espadon, jrgp, Flies, and Horve.

I don't hate religion, it's just that I couldn't care less. I just flow with everything. If someone wants to have hope, let him/her have it, I have no right to mentally attack him/her and make him/her hurt.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:39:40 pm by ds dude »
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »
This is pretty funny. Mangled is trying really hard to exaggerate and twist ideas to work in his favor. Don't get me wrong, Mangled -- I agree with you -- but this is not going to have as large an impact as you think it will. Not only that, but if you haven't noticed, most of America is already poorly educated. Tack on the fact that you will never make people with absolutely ridiculous ideas about higher powers and conspiracy theories go away. The decision to just not give a shit becomes a very easy one to make. Life is too short and packed with enough stressors as it is. Bottom line, if this begins to affect someone I care about, I might give a shit. Until then, it's pointless to do so.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »
I haven't twisted anything. They are going to build a replica of Noah's Ark and they are going to put f**king dinosaurs on it.

But hey the point is to discuss it! So lets discuss, let's not be all like either:
- A) Oh I love God, Jesus is in my soul and I love this profitable theme park venture!
- B) I don't care because idiots are retarded and vise versa.

Inaction is dangerous! Remember the holocaust?

First they came for the children, (Catholic priesthood, topical!)
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a child.

Then they came for the scientific education,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a science teacher.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »
I get far too much enjoyment from mocking them, sorry. But your attitude also stinks, why care? Well... in 20 years down the line when half the science graduates in America believe that man and dinosaur co-existed and aren't going to be taken seriously by properly educated people who aren't even scientists will you still not care? Should they care? Should anyone care?

Indeed, my attitude is depressing. 

A single human being only has one way in which they view the world/universe/ideas, this is a very narrow perspective that follows you until death.  Nothing is known, nothing can be known (at least you don't speak in absolutes), and nor does it matter.  In a way, every human is the center of their own individual universe, a universe that only exists through their eyes; prone to a life of isolation we are.  I live for myself, nothing more.  Social issues are not a concern, consider how insignificant a single human, or a single life is. Morality cannot exist if everyone is somewhere else perceptually. A single human life is not long enough to mean much either, nothing really matters, Mangled.

Meaning is a fairytale, as is freedom, and the idea of power.  Apathy and Thought are really the only constants, but these are still individual, nothing is consistent.

The only conclusion I can think of: perhaps you're still innocent, perhaps you still believe in meaning, or maybe you just haven't seen enough.  Maybe you'll move on, maybe you'll see passed your own bias, but we simply are not looking at the same thing.

Your twisting comes from your inability to see passed your bias.