Author Topic: Stop what you're doing and laugh at the U.S.  (Read 45287 times)

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
Re: Stop what you're doing and laugh at the U.S.
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »
Americans look like they're trying to prove their country's superiority whenever and however they can. Makes me sad.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 01:38:52 pm »
Why does it make you sad?
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 02:03:24 pm »
This is pretty funny. Mangled is trying really hard to exaggerate and twist ideas to work in his favor. Don't get me wrong, Mangled -- I agree with you -- but this is not going to have as large an impact as you think it will. Not only that, but if you haven't noticed, most of America is already poorly educated. Tack on the fact that you will never make people with absolutely ridiculous ideas about higher powers and conspiracy theories go away. The decision to just not give a s**t becomes a very easy one to make. Life is too short and packed with enough stressors as it is. Bottom line, if this begins to affect someone I care about, I might give a s**t. Until then, it's pointless to do so.

BINGO! Listen to the wise Kazuki. People who have even half a braincell should have enough common sense to be resourceful and form their own beliefs/truths, despite whatever they were brainwashed with. I grew up with creationism and the fear of Hell pounded into me. I even had a teacher that defended the unthinkable, brutal torture and genocide of innocent pagans (or those who questioned) at the hands of the church.. in the name of God. Those filthy pagan healers who dedicated their lives to treating and healing the sick sure were evil witches at the time in league with the devil. Yup. At the time, I didn't have access to other opinions as I do now (mostly via internet). So for a while, I accepted *most* of the garbage (I've never agreed with inflicting pain or death over a belief or a different way of life). Now I'm an athiest. Many athiests have actually come from strict religious upbringings. We were just the ones brave or smart enough to ask questions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:05:39 pm by Snow »
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:25 pm »
Just as a dump truck can haul more than a pickup truck, the US can contribute more to such things by way of being so much BIGGER than other countries.  Proportionally, the economic benefits of our trade is significantly greater than what the world gets from, say, Greece.  Besides, you're flipping your arguments faster than an OCD person trying to turn off a light switch, and with each change you set up a new straw man to attack.

You asked what the benefit the US provided.  You didn't ask how we justified whatever you think is wrong with it, and you said nothing about it being "related" to said things.  Then, when it was explained to you, you immediately did an about face, said "oh um yeah THOSE things yeah of course I knew about that but uh it doesn't matter quick let me act surprised so that you won't realize what an idiot I am," and blamed me for not defending against a claim you didn't make.

This is what happens when you try to lump everyone in a country together.  You read about a couple of people you disagree with, so you claim that the country itself is awful, then, when you're proven wrong, you backpedal faster than a crash-bound kid trying out a bike with handbrakes for the first time.  You're exactly right, our economic impact has absolutely NOTHING to do with some peoples' religious preferences.  So why do you act like the two are immutably linked?

Well this is just too easy...

I would expect a larger country with a larger economy to have a greater global economic impact than a smaller country with a smaller economy. What is your point? It's proportional. Bang.

jrgp said:
I agree with what you're saying and the fact that we live in a f**ked up society, but do we really need a topic to bash the US for this? In my opinion, the benefit the US has on the rest of the world is worth its eccentricities.

I was answering him aswell as you. Since you decided to jump on what exactly that 'benefit' was. 'Eccentricites' being the topic of this thread. Oh did you conveniently forget what this topic was about? Very religious of you.

No backpeddling here, son. You're just watching life in reverse.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:43 pm »
Mangled* I'm curious on what your thoughts are on the middle east, specifically Iran.

But you can pm me so we don't side track this topic.

The United States says we are made up of atheist, Christians, muslims...etc.

Yet they want to make a Noah Ark.

Then wait why is it bad to have a mosque...

Oh yeah everyone in New York City thinks muslims are terrorists.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 12:48:44 pm »
Then wait why is it bad to have a mosque...

Oh yeah everyone in New York City thinks muslims are terrorists.

*The whole leaving large blank spaces thing is getting annoying.
On topic: That's the media's fault.
b&

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 04:18:56 pm »
Americans look like they're trying to prove their country's superiority whenever and however they can. Makes me sad.

I'm surprised we don't have more of those Americans here with a subject like "Stop what you're doing and laugh at the U.S."

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2011, 05:17:45 pm »
>I don't stop and laugh anymore, I have given up on hopeless people. it takes about 1 minute to realise there is no god if you think about it.
There may be other reasons why this bill was passed though

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 06:00:05 pm »
>I don't stop and laugh anymore, I have given up on hopeless people. it takes about 1 minute to realise there is no god if you think about it.
There may be other reasons why this bill was passed though

You say that as if it's a fact.
Don't.
b&

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:53 am »
Mangled* I'm curious on what your thoughts are on the middle east, specifically Iran.

Sure, PM me first though or I'll probably forget to.

I'm surprised we don't have more of those Americans here with a subject like "Stop what you're doing and laugh at the U.S."

I've ground them down over the years. Granted, the forum popularity has also gone down considerably. I remember the good old days when threads of mine like this consisted of a majority of two dozen religious people fumbling around for reasons and comebacks for page after page and eventually a thread being locked or buried.

Don't.

It takes about 1 second to realise there are no unicorns if you think about it.

Would you agree that this is a fact?
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2011, 08:25:13 am »
I've ground them down over the years. Granted, the forum popularity has also gone down considerably. I remember the good old days when threads of mine like this consisted of a majority of two dozen religious people fumbling around for reasons and comebacks for page after page and eventually a thread being locked or buried.

Could it be that this topic isn't as interesting as your previous ones which attracted so much attention and controversy? I feel like complaining about the US is like beating a dead horse; no one really cares.
There are other worlds than these

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2011, 11:29:12 am »

Don't.

Well, just because I've never seen a super nova doesn't mean they don't exist.
Same thing applies to God, and I'm saying this neutrally.
b&

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

Don't.

There is proof that supernovas exist. There is no proof or good argument that god exists.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »

Don't.

There is proof that supernovas exist. There is no proof or good argument that god exists.

OK, I won't turn this into a religious debate, but to make a point:
They have a right to do whatever they want, they didn't build that Ark in the middle of anyone's backyard, so it does not force itself on people. And you should do the same: Don't try to force your beliefs on people and derail the topic.
b&

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 09:45:20 pm »
Could it be that this topic isn't as interesting as your previous ones which attracted so much attention and controversy? I feel like complaining about the US is like beating a dead horse; no one really cares.

I partially agree. I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that Graham isn't here though.

You're not a stereotypical American, so you'd generally have a good perspective on things. But rolling over just lets the idiots win. Learn from this.

OK, I won't turn this into a religious debate, but to make a point:
They have a right to do whatever they want, they didn't build that Ark in the middle of anyone's backyard, so it does not force itself on people. And you should do the same: Don't try to force your beliefs on people and derail the topic.

Woah, woah, woah. Stop there, that is a perfect textbook religious response!

You said: "OK, I won't turn this into a religious debate."
Translation: "I refuse to answer that because I can't justify my position, so lets change the subject."

Then the rest of your post is about how anybody opposed to the religious point of view that the thread is about is derailing the topic and that they are 'forcing their beliefs on people'.

Go on, tell me how I'm taking your post out of context and that isn't what you meant.

Do you even recognise how your post is a complete cop-out?
Are you really that brain-washed? Wake up!
Or are you really just that afraid to face reality?

Maybe it's time to sit down and think introspectively. Ask yourself some difficult questions and allow yourself to draw your own conclusions.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:47:00 pm by Mangled* »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:01 am »
Wow, that is the perfect textbook example of an atheist trying to prove his intellectual superiority, and the theist's lack of it, by analyzing his post in the way that makes the bigger man seem smaller.
I can answer your posts, but I won't, because I know when to step down, and not mess with angsty teenagers.

But thank you for that thrilling analysis nonetheless, no matter how predictable, those always amuse me.
b&

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 04:48:05 pm »
I see it as a textbook example of someone enquiring about the basis and justification of your beliefs and you desperately squirming to avoid facing something as simple as an intelligent question.

Psychologists recognise who people have an insecurity about their beliefs and ideas will attack the integrity of a person who questions them rather than provide an actual answer. The insecurity in most cases comes from either fear of ridicule, or unrealized or pseudo-subconscious fear that their belief or idea is incorrect or a delusion.

We can go at this all day, I can probe you for an answer to the rationalisation behind your faith, and you can keep avoiding it and trying to keep your narcissistic esteem up by being insulting. Maybe you can do the unpredictable thing and be honest about it.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 05:08:13 pm »
yeah its good to see you back mangled

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:58 pm »
I see it as a textbook example of someone enquiring about the basis and justification of your beliefs and you desperately squirming to avoid facing something as simple as an intelligent question.

Psychologists recognise who people have an insecurity about their beliefs and ideas will attack the integrity of a person who questions them rather than provide an actual answer. The insecurity in most cases comes from either fear of ridicule, or unrealized or pseudo-subconscious fear that their belief or idea is incorrect or a delusion.

We can go at this all day, I can probe you for an answer to the rationalisation behind your faith, and you can keep avoiding it and trying to keep your narcissistic esteem up by being insulting. Maybe you can do the unpredictable thing and be honest about it.

Simple reason for me to believe God exists: I exist.
And if that's too little an answer to feed your ego, because you don't accept the fact that there exists a being higher than man, beyond time and space, beyond your comprehension, then I can say I believe in God because life is too beautifully organized and balanced to be the result of a random explosion of some particles.
b&

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 09:39:01 pm »
Simple reason for me to believe God exists: I exist.
And if that's too little an answer to feed your ego, because you don't accept the fact that there exists a being higher than man, beyond time and space, beyond your comprehension, then I can say I believe in God because life is too beautifully organized and balanced to be the result of a random explosion of some particles.

Satisfaction.  :)

That is your answer, and it is fine.

Wait. Oh no, no, I can't hold it back...
*strains*

Firstly I'd like to ask about a contradiction in your post. If God is beyond time, space and (my) comprehension then how exactly is God's existance a fact? All factual information is, by definition, information that has been substantiated. How do you substantiate something that exists outside of all means of substantiation?

Secondly as for the "life is too beautifully organized and balanced" how does that exactly account for mutated babies, stillborns, miss-carriages, wasting diseases, terminal illnesses, mental illnesses etc... Are these intended in God's beautifully organized universe? Or are they something that God completely overlooked when he made everything?

Now I actually do believe that nature can be very beautiful, but I personally can't make that stretch of attributing that beauty to some creature that is outside of time and space. It's a bit of a stretch for me. - Though I think maybe I can understand where you're coming from, lets say for instance I was told every day from as early as I can remember that everything I can see, hear, smell and touch was made by a man called Alan who spent a week in a shed hammering it all together. It would be very hard to imagine anything else.

By "a random explosion of some particles" I'm going to rightly assume you ended your post with a terrible misinterpretation of the Big Bang theory.

Recommended reading: this book.

Now, if we're talking about a subject like the meaning of your existence, personally I feel it's best to have all the facts. So maybe read up on that. It's worth noting that the Big Bang theory is consistent with every astronomical observation ever made in the history of mankind, also that it's a theory entirely consistent with our current understanding of both Quantum Theory and Newton's Theory of Gravity. It's also apparently sound enough for countless billions of dollars worth of investment into particle acceleration technology to learn more about the early universe.