Author Topic: REST IN PEACE, SOLDAT.  (Read 12657 times)

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
REST IN PEACE, SOLDAT.
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:10:42 am »
I f*cking loved this game. For years. years. I'd play it every day. With my friends. Friends I never even met. We made clans. We fought each-other and hated each-other. We spent late night hours on ventrillio talking nonsense and laughing our asses off. Some of the best moments from my teenage years were spent playing this game.

Thanks MM. Thanks to all the people that helped make this game as good as it could possibly get. Set aside all the b*tching about weapon balance and other nonsense, the years, yes, years I spent dedicated to this game won't be forgotten. I had some grand f*cken times, man. I won't forget any of them.

Any of you old heads will know and remember. Soldat made you competitive in a different, more intellectual way. It trained you to think ahead, to see what the enemy was seeing. I still remember early SCTFL tournaments. They were all about the strategy of your opponent and how you could counter-act their offense. The original "pro" clans knew this best. What does any of that sh*t mean now?

It doesn't mean jack. I hope both new and old players get to read this message and realize how old and sacred games like Soldat really are. Everyone is sitting in front of their Xbox's playing Call of Duty or Battlefield 3 or some other mainstream, first-person-shooter game that's sucked their lives up. Yeah, those games are fun, but can you honestly forget about simple games like Soldat? Maybe these people have moved on and finished college and found real jobs... whatever the f*ck that means.

I stake this thread a tribute to those good times we've all had, whether or not you're a n00b or a pr0. MM made this little game that changed our lives, even if only for a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit. Change was made. I will say, that I appreciate every moment I've spent playing Soldat. Raise thy glasses.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:30:26 am by Mancer »
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: REST IN PEACE, SOLDAT.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:55 am »
Amen to that, brother!
There are other worlds than these

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:12:50 am »
Ill drink to that!
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:44:59 am »
You are taking things wayyyy too seriously.... It's just a game, a fun game yes, but that's it. A game can't "change" your live in any way. And you here this from someone that host servers, and pay for them, since 2006.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:15 am »
Granted, the humble gostek may not have influenced my life as much as Pacman, Mario, Wonderboy, Sonic, or Alex Kidd - which is more of a factor of personal timing than potential influential power - but an influence it did make. To me, saying a game (or anything for that matter) cannot induce change in any way is like saying you have a jar of nothing.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:56:48 am »
Eh, I've only played Soldat for less than 2 years, bit I already feel like it's a drug addiction I constantly relapse into...
b&

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:10:15 am »
You are taking things wayyyy too seriously.... It's just a game, a fun game yes, but that's it. A game can't "change" your live in any way. And you here this from someone that host servers, and pay for them, since 2006.

No offense, but you're a middle-aged man - you're past the point of being influenced.

It's not the game itself; it's the community that's surrounding it that influenced him and many others, including myself.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:15:51 am »
No offense, but you're a middle-aged man - you're past the point of being influenced.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wait, just let me quote it again in case you delete the first one (and your post)

Offline filip2322

• Major
  • Gray
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:52 am »
He got jrgpwned

Well he is maybe just describing the best part of his childhood (or highlight)

Im playing for a year and already can feel the game/forum addiction
Imperare sibi maximum imperium est

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:52 am »
If you've never played sctfl and never pushed for the playoff spot, you just can't understand! 100+ cws in 4 weeks! Sleep is for the weak! Soldat is cocaine!!!!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:47:19 am »

It's not the game itself; it's the community that's surrounding it that influenced him and many others, including myself.

This game has and had a much bigger influence in my life than the community my dear jpg, in my pocket. For the last 5 years. But I do it coz I like the game.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:59:11 am by Leo »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:43 am »

Yeah sorry, forgot that you are just a bunch of kids that play in servers that a "middle-age" man paying for...

I really don't want to have this conversation but I feel compelled.
 - you aren't the only server provider
 - the influences OP is describing are toward his child hood; you can't relate to that since your child hood was 30+ years ago before video games/online communities existed
 - any effect soldat has on you now is unlikely significant to the rest of the things that has happened in your life, so you'd just see it as a hobby and not something emotionally serious. That isn't the case with us whipper snappers who have no prior read-only childhood

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:59:56 am »
Yeah, I have edited my post and yes, it's a hobby for me, you are right.

Offline Majoman

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 11:18:15 am »
Agreed with Mancer. Soldat is just a bugged 2D game, but the concept is great in its simplicity. And like Cheese said, you've missed a lot of emotions if you've never played soldat competitively. 

Offline SyavX

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 11:33:15 am »
If you've never played sctfl and never pushed for the playoff spot, you just can't understand! 100+ cws in 4 weeks! Sleep is for the weak! Soldat is cocaine!!!!
This!

I never forget 15th season :D

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 01:59:46 pm »

Yeah sorry, forgot that you are just a bunch of kids that play in servers that a "middle-age" man paying for...

I really don't want to have this conversation but I feel compelled.
 - you aren't the only server provider
 - the influences OP is describing are toward his child hood; you can't relate to that since your child hood was 30+ years ago before video games/online communities existed
 - any effect soldat has on you now is unlikely significant to the rest of the things that has happened in your life, so you'd just see it as a hobby and not something emotionally serious. That isn't the case with us whipper snappers who have no prior read-only childhood

Not me though. I'm 33, from the 8bit generation and I also grew up with PacMan, Mario and the like. Soldat was more significant to me than anything earlier. I am lucky that I grew up in the 8bit/16bit era, but back then, there wasn't much community or dedication around games other than close friends and those in school. Even then though, a game like Zelda or SMB3 would only last 1 to 4 months before many would move on to "wrap" other titles. When Soldat came around, it was the first game I could play smooth multiplayer on. It was awesome. The community just started growing. I enjoyed playing with others on Soldat more than on other titles such as the Team Fortress series. Even with TF2 out, I still prefer Soldat. I still regret missing a whole year around the beginning. 9 years in, I'm still loving and still addicted to this game. So for me at least, Soldat is more than a hobby.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 03:37:44 pm »
Soldat has an mathematical strategy with bluffing, teamwork, and chase situations. There are few games where you unconscionably compute the trajectories of many bullets while you are moving at a fast pace, all while looking for the perfect route and adapting to different situations with perfect timing among other shit. It's completely different, and I think this kind of brain exercise is what makes it so addictive and fun.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 03:43:28 pm »
Really great story what looks a little like mine... But if you loved that game some much, you would never choose Mac...

Btw. I hope, Soldat will rise soon...

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 03:47:56 pm »
But if you loved that game some much, you would never choose Mac...

.. what the hell is wrong with buying a mac, using osx for all your normal tasks, and dual booting windows just for gaming?

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »
jrgp, did you just get bitch-slapped or something?

Soldat is indeed a great game, haven't still ever played a game which have keeped me hooked as long as Soldat does. I'm hoping that the devs do a release sometime soon, btw. It has been anyways something like 6 months already.
Sorry if I'm insolent.