Author Topic: REST IN PEACE, SOLDAT.  (Read 12634 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: REST IN PEACE, SOLDAT.
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:28 pm »
Today's gamers aren't the same, they don't learn themselves, they can't stand doing things the long, hard way.

Soldat isn't exactly from the NES generation... The first beta was released after Halo, for crying out loud.

Do you know how many people still play the first Halo?
Less than we get in a single week on gathers.
I looked up the server list and it was almost empty.
b&

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 02:06:28 pm »
Do you know how many people still play the first Halo?
Less than we get in a single week on gathers.
I looked up the server list and it was almost empty.

They don't play Halo because there have been sequels upon sequels.  If you want a true comparison, let me know how many people (absolute or as a proportion) are playing Soldat 1.2.1 in gathers.

Of course, doing that compounds the "missing the point" problem in your response, but eh.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Proudest_Monkey

• Major(1)
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 08:16:14 pm »
My guess: Link-Dead will be a runaway hit and new players to that will install Soldat on the side or maybe download Soldat first after they hear that it is made by the same person and try it before buying Link-Dead. All that is happening right now is that Soldat is being made ready for the next influx of new players, and people are moving away from it as there hasn't been anything to get it into magazines or articles like it used to. Link-Dead surely will though, and that will be Soldat's rebound and will never really die.

If only.
My guess is: If there's not oldies around to teach the newbs, they'll quickly leave.
Today's gamers aren't the same, they don't learn themselves, they can't stand doing things the long, hard way.
Quit the whole "BACK IN MY DAY" thing, dude, it's silly. 

Soldat just isn't in the best state for new players compared to other games/products out there

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 05:41:29 am »
I've played previous version, and even with all the bugs and weapon balance issues, I still feel like I'm playing Soldat when I play Soldat.
The whole bugs and balance thing is an excuse if you're asking me, the game and community are still both very great to be hanging around with.
b&

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 03:22:48 pm »
Except that Lounge is the only living board.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »

Soldat isn't exactly from the NES generation... The first beta was released after Halo, for crying out loud.

Exactly. Gamers will always be the same. It's only hardware and games that change.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 04:42:42 pm »

Nah, people are constantly whining in the bug reporting/suggestion boards and those are probably the most important boards there are to new people so i'd say the forum is serving its real purpose wellenough.
There are other worlds than these

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 08:41:40 pm »
Not that 90% of game-oriented forums i go through have the most discussions based on stuff that isnt the game.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 08:55:47 pm »
Not that 90% of game-oriented forums i go through have the most discussions based on stuff that isnt the game.

Most forums in general are like that.
There are other worlds than these

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 06:11:24 am »

The community that actually plays the game.
The community in my book doesn't translate to the forums.
b&

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »
for the 8,5 years i've played soldat (semi)actively i can say that i'm proud to still be around and have the drug in my veins. soldat is one of those games that can be played somewhat competitively, casually and not played at all at the same time and still be in perfect touch with the community. i've met so many different people of different origins and age and the entire experience has built up my english more than i could have ever hoped to have learned from the cultural and linguistic studies at school.

i wouldn't consider myself addicted to the game itself but just hanging around the people in quakenet makes a somewhat great deal of my weekly recreation. i sure do still play the game competitively after all these years but only because of the interaction capabilities. i could say that soldat is the most bugged and worst game i have ever played but that wouldn't be the whole truth, the game is what it is after you glue together all the little pieces that lie around. all the laggy situations, miraculous escapes and whining fuckdits make up for half the entertainment value of it, when you think of it. some people may not like this fact but it is there. if you don't, you might aswell go masturbate at the bear raids in wow or whatever

what the community, and all communities in general always have in common are the whining fucktards who don't like the game yet still hang about. you should go fuck the fly you so whole-heartedly claim you don't give a damn about. soldat isn't going anywhere, the playerbase may be reducing but the game stays. we're still getting new players on a daily basis but my only fear is the amount of the hypocrite retards that don't understand the meaning of opinions in life, the people who think that by advertising that a game is shit on its official forums they could make any kind of progress. the fact that i don't like wow doesn't make me run around in the wow community preaching about how unlikeable the game is.

by saying this i don't mean that there were much of these people involved in this conversation (actually i'm not sure at all considered the fact that i rather quickly browsed through the topic while watching the simpsons). my sole point is that threads and discussions like this don't help the game live and grow. although the playerbase is indeed decreasing, there are still countless of new and coming activities and communities raising their heads, the community is far from dying imo

people should hop over to www.sctfl.net instead, this ad has been sponsored and brought to you by xurich. we thank all participants in advance, not implying that these forums sucked terrible horse balls

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 07:43:15 pm »
but then again, the sctfl forums have always also sucked horseballs, unless you understand the irc related in-jokes that hop on in every other thread

quakenet is where the deep community is at, and that's also been sucking ever since the c'n's + BA/SAD servers went down

holy shit I feel old

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 04:40:33 am »
i'm older than you and i don't feel old. perhaps it's just that early twenties crisis of yours that no one else ever goes through :p

Offline Gabriel-Andrei

• Major(1)
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 04:36:52 pm »

I never forget 15th season :D

In what clan you played ?

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:39 am »
Haha, great tribute. I can't say how and when soldat changed things for me, but I'm certain I wouldn't be the person I am today, had I not stumpled into soldat back in the day. I've met some awesome people, who gave me some awesome advice over the years..

Soldat, to me is the memory of many good hours spent, first and foremost. Especially in regards to Leo, since his were the servers I preferred. Those were good times, eh Leo ol'chap? I've been trying to get back in ever since, but it just isn't the same. It's not the game, I've just gotten too old.. Been playing for almost a decade now, after all.

Anyway, nicely done Mancer. Made me reminisce.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »
Been playing for almost a decade now, after all.

Shoot, I've only been ALIVE for two of those (and change).  That's dedication.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 01:43:02 am »
I can't say that I've really learned any life lessons from Soldat, but it has been a great time waster. GG's.
Your signature is bringing me back so many memories. All those clans... /HS/ were goddamn ridiculous. One of the the best clans soldat ever had. I can't even remember all their names god damnit. When I was in Legacy it was one of the most challenging and ridiculous matches when we would play against /HS/. Marbire would scream at us. FabmanX would make us feel like we were nothing but poop. Cause that was true. Shady acted like a goofball while I did nothing but Ruger whore. I miss this game :(
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline Black Kid

• Major(1)
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »
You are taking things wayyyy too seriously.... It's just a game, a fun game yes, but that's it. A game can't "change" your live in any way. And you here this from someone that host servers, and pay for them, since 2006.

Someone's probably pointed this out, but I'm just too lazy to look through the posts. The game wasn't really what changed his life, it was the community, which was brought together by the game. It's sad that no other game can have a community like this because there are just far too many players. Everyone in gathers used to know each other personally, and now it's like a Latin American fiesta, and half the people don't even speak the same language as me. My favourite part, though, was that vent servers used to have like 10-15 people on at a time and we'd just chill, or when .:|EN|:. had a bunch of active members and we could have 6-man rambo matches on our Fracs server.(A lot of this was possible because of Chibi, too.)

I guess people just outgrew soldat, and it's not getting any new members because kids are always playing those mainstream console games.

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:42 am »
If you've never played sctfl and never pushed for the playoff spot, you just can't understand! 100+ cws in 4 weeks! Sleep is for the weak! Soldat is cocaine!!!!
This!

I never forget 15th season :D
I will never forget sctfl 15 either :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:36:53 am by soulblade »

Offline panda_bear_smoking

• Major(1)
  • I'm thrilled to have made you cum -jrgp-
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 02:14:11 am »
You are taking things wayyyy too seriously.... It's just a game, a fun game yes, but that's it. A game can't "change" your live in any way. And you here this from someone that host servers, and pay for them, since 2006.
go -EDIT FOR Shoozza- youself...

it has
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:12:25 am by panda_bear_smoking »
°~°Discussion or mention of the anime/manga cartoon series, comics, books or anything at all related to Naruto, or further relating it in anyway with our admin Chakra is forbidden. On here or on soldat-related IRC channels.  in game name jebushunter 9yrs