Author Topic: A Message to the soldat dev Team  (Read 9984 times)

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
A Message to the soldat dev Team
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:24:37 am »
Here is the situation, the soldat community is dwindling, the competitive scene (Forever consisting of players that have played this game the longest) is shrinking at a level never before seen. Even this forum seems to be an abandoned town, which I have never seen in the several years I have been playing soldat.

Perhaps its time to put off some improvements/changes until the next version, and release something that will hopefully revitalize the community. Ill be the first to admit that I don't know how a development process for a game works, so you will know best whether what I am suggesting is even possible. I just came on this forum after a few months and noticed that the "Release candidate" has now been changed to a beta, and that was 3 months ago. To me this seems like another delay. I understand the preference to put out a perfect product, but if by that time the community has died, it will all be for naught. In the past I have always noticed a boost in activity and interest after every now version is released, and right now that is what is needed.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: A Message to the soldat dev Team
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:09:13 pm »
Something like that has been posted several times before, so dev team should be aware of that. Perhaps they do have a reason for the delay, though I still agree - even another beta would still make the community happy, even if not for long.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: considering the state v1.5 is in - a beta can't be much worse than that, most likely the opposite - with the amount of bugs that were fixed it should be even better than "final version" of 1.5. Therefore I think it's worth releasing a beta as a final 1.5.1 version, and then just release smaller but more frequent updates.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:11:35 pm »
I agree.
You can always add the anti-cheat later.

I'm so eager to test the new fixes. It's been 3 months.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:57:11 pm »
fix the netcode + reload bug and release it... just start over from the 1.5 version, and do that. after that is done, you can continue on your current version.
You even want to call it 1.5.1.... releasing a minor change shouldn't take 2 years (otherwise you would name it 1.6).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:03:12 pm by ginn »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
fix the netcode
That would be another 2 years of work. :P

Though I agree that it shouldn't even be called 1.5.1. There are quite a lot of changes, so it's well worth calling it 1.6.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 09:46:12 pm »
also had this in mind just few hours ago..
I appreciate the work the devs do. but actually they promised stuff they didn´t do in the end.
I don´t want to blame anyone for this, as its not paid, they got real-time stuff to do or whatever.
But doing something as a volunteer also gives you the responsibility on such a (big?) project like Soldat actually.

I think its now really on time to act.

We have had nearly the same version like the current beta is now for like 1-2 years (EnEsCe´s last beta release), where already have been tons of bug fixes. Even this one could have been released. There was soldat portal which is no removed, but also really many fixes.

So the best thing would be to release it in <30 days, and then make minor updates (like L[0ne]R said in the previous reply)
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:56:39 am »
I will consider a earlier release without anticheat.
Keep in mind we are currently very inactive and I'll continue working on Soldat end of next month.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:54:55 am »
The only thing missing from the anticheat is a small check so it could very well be released without that check and still have anticheat. Anyways imho just add Mr to the devteam and he will have fixed that small check as he will know both ends + cant hurt to have the anticheat guy onboard especially as he is a proficient coder, thats my 2 cents at least for myself I dont have time to code on soldat for the unforeseeable future.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:15:42 am »
Gee guys, it seems no one has time to code soldat. Why you took the job in first place then ?

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:28:36 am »
Gee guys, it seems no one has time to code soldat. Why you took the job in first place then ?
Exactly what I thought now. :o
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:59:25 am »
come on, you know you can't call it a job -.- They're the best people for this task right now.

Anyway, where do i sign the petition to add Mr to dev team?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 06:22:59 am »
yup, if Mr himself agrees to join dev team then i support this.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 06:54:11 am »
I'll support anyone who can speed up this whole process of bugfixing tho

Im chill like that

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 05:36:53 pm »

They already did the work, they're just over-perfectising it.
b&

Offline Cult

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 12:24:28 am »
The only thing missing from the anticheat is a small check so it could very well be released without that check and still have anticheat. Anyways imho just add Mr to the devteam and he will have fixed that small check as he will know both ends + cant hurt to have the anticheat guy onboard especially as he is a proficient coder, thats my 2 cents at least for myself I dont have time to code on soldat for the unforeseeable future.

^^ That. With SCTFL 19 coming up in a months time (proposed) having this new mod out ASAP would be great and hopefully make players stay, as in 1.5 it's just minimi spraying all over. Antyhing you guys have done would be awesome and a release would be extremely appreciated by all players.

Offline Ouchek

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 06:36:52 am »
leo, why do you always have to open your mouth ? what do you do for the community exactly besides being the oldest cunt around or someshit

As a member of the active gaming community, I support poops idea, people are getting bored of the game and it needs some change. Release the game even if its not completely "finished", and just release a patch later.

Offline Spec Ops

• Major(1)
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 06:49:56 am »
Kenix couldn't get the confirmation email to get an account so here are his remarks.

"I think it is a pretty bad idea to release the version without an anti-cheat at all. if that is your intention. I also think it would be a good idea to add Mr to the dev team, seeing how he seems to be one of the more dedicated people at the moment. I am also a little disappointed that the dev team has lost interest so quickly."

Though, what I gathered from that was that you guys planned to release it with the current anticheat and not the updated version of it, and not no anticheat at all. And I kind of agree with Leo's sentiment. Though, I don't know a lot about what has gone down, but from my perspective, it seemed like you guys requested being added to the team for quite a long time. And then it happens and you guys fall out of dedication before the first release even happens.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:58:13 am by Spec Ops »

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 07:00:37 am »
ontopic:
Yea I support this idea, but 'hey' hasn't this been suggested like 100 times before?

offtopic:
leo, why do you always have to open your mouth ? what do you do for the community exactly besides being the oldest c**t around or somes**t

As a member of the active gaming community, I support poops idea, people are getting bored of the game and it needs some change. Release the game even if its not completely "finished", and just release a patch later.
He is hosting around half of the existing realistic mode servers around as well as a realistic mode gather and a r/s gather.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 08:34:43 am »
leo, why do you always have to open your mouth ? what do you do for the community exactly besides being the oldest c**t around or somes**t

I have done, and being doing, much more for this game that you will ever do sir.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 09:10:45 am »
Set a date and release Soldat as it is, (or get Mr. in on the team) Then focus on 1 thing at the time that you want feedback on and do smaller more frequent updates. If 1 guy in the dev-team is busy it won't halt the whole development, just focus on a part that can be done.

Sounds good?

Offline 12th_account

• Major(1)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 09:29:46 am »
I get the feeling the new lead devs got too eager and wanted too much change for what only needed to be a 1.5 maintenance release. Judging by the changelog so far and the change of development team, it's enough to justify the major version bump to 2.0 - whether they intended to or not.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 10:41:01 am »
I'll have to ask MM.
Last time I asked he said that this will be the maximum size of the dev team though.

Also I'm against adding people who have no interest in developing soldat.
In the last few months I haven't seen a single person asking for getting added to the dev team.
Rules

Offline Spi.deY

• Major
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 11:57:49 am »
I'll have to ask MM.
Last time I asked he said that this will be the maximum size of the dev team though.

MM and soldat hummm, does he still care about this own game ? :/

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 12:55:44 pm »
I'll have to ask MM.

MM and soldat hummm, does he still care about this own game ? :/

Probably not, he got too bored of constantly tweaking the netcode and looking for bugs, that's why he handed the game over to EnEsCe, and the not so new dev team.
He's too busy working on LD these days,
b&

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 01:12:13 pm »
he's not working on link-dead anymore

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 01:37:13 pm »
KAG?
But anyway, MM holds all rights to this game, so it's his choice. Though if I were him, I'd definitely try and get all the people in to finish this update off to get the community going again.
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 01:43:11 pm »
:-*
people are waiting for the new version, and they´ll be statisfied, smaller things can be done in minor updates.
more frequent small updates will give the player also the feeling that theres someone who cares and does something

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »

Well then make it KAG, or whatever the hell he IS working on.
b&

Offline whitdemon

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »
come on...
Im the only one who can wait all eternity!
In the end there can be only one!!!

used to play as MoX[PT]

DarkCrusade

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 02:52:02 pm »
Probably not, he got too bored of constantly tweaking the netcode and looking for bugs, that's why he handed the game over to EnEsCe, and the not so new dev team.

Someone is quite a prick.

Offline kunderez

• Major(1)
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 03:13:29 pm »
If soldat community and fan count is not going to grow any larger than this... then why in the heck soldat is not open source yet?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »
There are several reasons. One of them being MM not wanting to "cut off the hand that feeds", another one being that MM used commercial libraries for programming Soldat which would have to be removed before Soldat could be released as open source. 

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »

Someone is quite a prick.

I'm sorry, were you talking about MM or yourself? I just need some elaboration, my wits aren't as sharp as they used to be.
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:07 pm »
I'm sorry, were you talking about MM or yourself? I just need some elaboration, my wits aren't as sharp as they used to be.

I was talking about you

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »

I was talking about you

Damn, already talking to yourself, DC? I mean, I knew you's mad, but not literally.
b&

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 11:34:19 pm »
@DarkCrusade @demoniac93 (alphabetic order)
There is absolutely no reason for fighting each other.
You really want me to read the stuff you write?

If you want to hate each other do it via PM.
With everything else you tell me to not continue reading this thread.
Thanks.

come on...
Im the only one who can wait all eternity!
I totally understand how it's taking way to long already. Sorry about that.

:-*
people are waiting for the new version, and they´ll be statisfied, smaller things can be done in minor updates.
more frequent small updates will give the player also the feeling that theres someone who cares and does something
You are correct. However there was not much progress the last few months.
Not saying there was none.

I haven't finished the anticheat stuff and I planned do this near the end of the next month.
Rules

Offline Ricrylonten

• Major
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 12:01:28 am »
"Soldat's Babysitter"

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 04:21:09 am »
MM is working on LD. He wrote on his facebook some hours ago:

Next release I will be focusing entirely on bug fixing, abuse fixing and some balancing. This game is soo much fun, I shouldn’t say this because I made it, but I can’t resist. It hurts me seeing the fun spoiled so I want to deal with it.

That's what he should be saying about Soldat :(

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 04:58:42 am »
that is referring to king arthur's gold, he is not working on LD anymore as stated before

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:41 am »

In the last few months I haven't seen a single person asking for getting added to the dev team.

Yeah well it seems like some devs are not interested either like what have they been doing the past few months? (being @ at #soldat.devs 24/7 and thats about it).

And if you don't see any progress you wouldn't want to join the team either.
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 12:14:17 pm »
yup we need something NEW!!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 04:32:52 pm »
At some point it becomes necessary to move on from the denial of Soldat's death and onto acceptance.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 05:47:41 pm »
At some point it becomes necessary to move on from the denial of Soldat's death and onto acceptance.

It's not dead, not yet, but it's getting there.
b&

Offline Maek|

• Soldier
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 11:55:11 pm »
Dont give up. I came back from a 2 and a half year break and I'm all exited about soldat again. I'm even working on a new map. Try to contact your old soldat friends if you can about this. Dont let Soldat die! Just release the 1.5.1.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:57:23 pm by Maek| »
Soldat since 1.0.5

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »
Devs, pls remember what has had happend the last time we had a public beta-version. There where 15 beta-builds and finally even a release candidate (aka build 15). But this whole procedure took more than six months as far as I can remember. And after some weeks nobody cared for the beta anymore (at least the test-servers where empty). Pls don't do the same. Do not choose the Firefox-like way. Don't try to make the next version perfect. What we only need is another "final" version. A version which replaces the old one. So that everyone needs to update the client. So that after one-two weeks the majority of servers use the newest version. It's not about a bugless version. Who cares if the new version will have some flaws? We are used to this and still we played it like crazy.
Why I'm saying this? Because we need some action/publicity which also reaches the non-forumers and the casual-players. We need to stop the decreasing player-count. And we also need some more forumers. So: Go for small releases (like Mozilla's gonna do with the next versions - Firefox 5's schedule is in approx. three-four months btw). Try to fix only the most important bugs in this version and then go for the 1.5.1 FINAL.
Don't get me wrong - I appreciate everything what you've done but I'm fearing again that in some weeks it will be the same situation as before...

The RC should have released months years ago.
True, true. Imo it has enough bug fixes and changes (mostly from good-old EnEsCe) and doesn't have major disadvantages/problems compared to the current version.
Waiting for the anti-cheat API makes no sense imo. You have an autoupdate-feature - make use of it (finally, goddamn). There's not really much to prepare for a release-build. We're not Mozilla who do huge (automatic) testing and qa before even releasing an alpha-version. Simply take a week and have no fear to release the s**t (v1.5.1). What you're waiting for?? What could go wrong if you do just do it?
Just tell the people that it's not a major huge update (which it actually is, check the changelog, zomg) but a smaller one. Assure them that there will be more small updates. Make them hot about the upcoming default anti-cheat. I don't think they will be disappointed (at least there're would be some changes).
Then you'd have some time to fix some more introduced bugs and go for the anti-cheat API with v1.5.2. :)

Two months have passed again and I think I won't write another "kick-devs-in-the-ass"-post...
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 06:38:12 am »
they are all idle-devs now. I guess they are waiting for Shoozza to come back to coding.

@down
True that
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:57:59 am by Bonecrusher »

Im chill like that

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 10:33:48 am »
Fryer is doing a great job tbh at the moment, and he also said he wants this version released this summer, so If Shoozza comes back in a short while we might get something here..
www.idunwantanpage.com

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:59 pm »
This game is not dead until the last player left. It's in the hands of every soldier. It may be dead for one or the other of the veterans, it may be that a generation is leaving soldat. Still, it's not the decision of those who leave, but of those who stay and of those who come.

Please do not consider soldat dead before those who still have joy and fun in playing this buggy game. Their hope is the greatest motivation for the current devs.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »

Yeah well it seems like some devs are not interested either like what have they been doing the past few months? (being @ at #soldat.devs 24/7 and thats about it).

You should probably check out the topic link in the channel to see what has happened in the last few months.
Rules

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 08:14:12 am »
it came true : duke nukem forever has been released before the new soldat vers.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:49:34 pm by darDar »

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 09:33:10 am »

you should've watched more x-files

deny everything!

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 09:57:58 am »

You should probably check out the topic link in the channel to see what has happened in the last few months.

Did you read my post it said : SOME devs
www.idunwantanpage.com

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
You guys need to realize.. being a Soldat dev isn't easy, PLUS they're not getting paid. Be patient.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 04:13:54 pm »
how is it NOT easy to be a dev when you don't do anything beside being afk 200 years?
www.idunwantanpage.com

DarkCrusade

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2011, 04:37:22 pm »
how is it NOT easy to be a dev when you don't do anything beside being afk 200 years?

You have proven before that you are not to be taken serious in terms of logical thinking. Your trolling is unsuccessful, because your only message is "everything sucks" and not helpful at all. This last episode has just proven this further.. go back to 4chan.

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »

You have proven before that you are not to be taken serious in terms of logical thinking. Your trolling is unsuccessful, because your only message is "everything sucks" and not helpful at all. This last episode has just proven this further.. go back to 4chan.

can't say your lifeless 3296 post were of any use either, go away nubcake
www.idunwantanpage.com

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:08 am »

can't say your lifeless 3296 post were of any use either, go away nubcake

LOL.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Sauron

• Soldier
  • Call me "Uncle Sam"
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2011, 12:34:05 am »
SOLDAT??

Offline filip2322

• Major
  • Gray
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 11:57:42 pm »
I thought this would be the right topic to post.

Could one of the devs add a country/continent filter?

Example:  Europe checked  #Europe  <---It lists only EU servers

If its possible ofc
Imperare sibi maximum imperium est

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl

Im chill like that

Offline filip2322

• Major
  • Gray