Author Topic: How can MM just drop soldat?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
How can MM just drop soldat?
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:52:29 pm »
For a man that has a community formed around a game he made that is very good and has a high replay value why would he just say, "Fuck it, i'm over it."?

Apparently he dropped Link-Dead too, really he's turning into a bum developer, luckily it seems there are people turning his trash into treasure though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:07:46 am by w00titsme »
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: How can MM just drop soldat?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:13:12 am »
As his skills and gaming tastes improve he loses interest in what no longer excites him.

...just like everyone else :P
There are other worlds than these

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:17:08 am »
Good point, he could atleast do the wise thing and set up a company to handle past games and make them marketable indie games though. Imagine if Notch from minecraft just made it on his own and moved on when it began to bore him, he'd be out a couple million buckaroos. KAG is good, i'm going to play it today, but I think he's trying to resemble terraria.
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:19:49 am »
Good point, he could atleast do the wise thing and set up a company to handle past games and make them marketable indie games though. Imagine if Notch from minecraft just made it on his own and moved on when it began to bore him, he'd be out a couple million buckaroos. KAG is good, i'm going to play it today, but I think he's trying to resemble terraria.

Well, he doesn't want to lose the rights to the games unless some company pays him an exorbitant amount of money. Passing Soldat off to Shoozza/the new dev team is essentially his version of your "wise thing".
There are other worlds than these

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:35:46 am »
Well, he doesn't want to lose the rights to the games unless some company pays him an exorbitant amount of money. Passing Soldat off to Shoozza/the new dev team is essentially his version of your "wise thing".

Very well said. I am quite sure he values the community a lot. He knows that the community is what allows him to do what he does. However, if you love something you let it free, not hold onto it like it is the only good thing you will ever produce. Who knows, maybe MM will step back into linkdead or soldat?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:20:38 am »
sure, maybe if current dev team will make it popular again and he spot that it's starting to be a good source of income again.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:55:59 am »
Apparently he dropped Link-Dead too, really he's turning into a bum developer, luckily it seems there are people turning his trash into treasure though.
Where did you hear this?
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:02:02 am »
Cause your sentimental and KAG is cool

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 06:51:05 am »
Why didn't you just ask him what he does with the toilet paper he just wiped his ass with?

Wonder if KAG got this popular if they knew it was dev'ed by him. MM's a professional ass-wiper. (Soldat, R, Crimson Glory, Berserk, Linkdead)

+ I wonder what people will do that were actually stupid enough to pay for LD's alpha version.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:57:59 am by PQ »
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 09:12:56 am »
Why didn't you just ask him what he does with the toilet paper he just wiped his ass with?

Wonder if KAG got this popular if they knew it was dev'ed by him. MM's a professional ass-wiper. (Soldat, R, Crimson Glory, Berserk, Linkdead)

+ I wonder what people will do that were actually stupid enough to pay for LD's alpha version.
he offered refunds afaik.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:37:53 pm »
One thing I can say is this:
Soldat is an awesome, one-of-a-kind game. There has been many clones of it, but none of them could really capture all of Soldat's good sides. If it's ever redone to fit todays' standards - it would once again become The Best 2D Multiplayer Shooter in the World and would bring MM a lot of money.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 04:32:37 pm »
I don't think he "just dropped Soldat."  Between incorporating EnEsCe and then Shoozza and the rest of the current devs, I think MM has done the most responsible thing - passed the game development onto capable and dedicated community members.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 05:49:04 pm »
I don't think he "just dropped Soldat."  Between incorporating EnEsCe and then Shoozza and the rest of the current devs, I think MM has done the most responsible thing - passed the game development onto capable and dedicated community members.
Well, if you think about not what he's done, but HOW that was done - it's not much different than just dropping the game.
At first he gave the game to a hacker with terrible communication skills, questionable mental age and very disappointing results at actually improving the game. And it took literally several years to actually get MM to do something about it. If we didn't repeatedly whine about all that - I bet the development would still be in the same sorry state as it was a year ago.

I understand being busy with other things, moving on, and all that. But if he really did care about the game - surely he'd do better than that. :/

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 08:35:41 pm »
and still trying to make money with it while not caring at all.

1 example: Soldat posters that are on pre-order for almost 6 months already..... (people who already bought them prolly said bye to their money quite some time ago)
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 08:18:26 pm »
I wonder what people will do that were actually stupid enough to pay for LD's alpha version.
I payed MM $$$. And he gave me back much joy with the game. There's nothing to do for me. The fun I had while playing LD is much more worth than the few bucks I gave him. For me it was more like a donation.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 01:57:26 pm »

Exactly. Not only that, MM stayed with the game and developed it for years.. constantly killing bugs and improving gameplay. Remember he started Soldat when he was 16, then stuck with it for so long. How many people start something and 16 and are still with it.. not many. I get bored with things within weeks to sometimes as short as days. If I had made Soldat, I dunno if I could have stuck it out as long as he did with it. I would probably at most work on it for a year to improve and kill what bugs I could.. then it would be done. You would play what you get.. I'd be moving on to develop something else.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet