Author Topic: "Could not save settings"  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Maek|

• Soldier
"Could not save settings"
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:05:28 am »
I found a 3 years old thread about this but I decided to make a new thread anyway..

The problem is, that when I open soldat, it immediately says "Could not save settings" and it pops up every time I switch the screen (player/options/exit etc) So the problem started few weeks ago suddenly. I did no changes that could have caused it. I was running windows vista when this started.. I updated this to Win 7 ultimate yesterday but the problem didnt go anywhere. I have cheked that the program runs as adminstrator etc etc. I have reinstalled the game many times and no dice. I cheked the avira antivir and made an exeption to leave soldat folder alone basicly.. didnt help. I have no idea what causes this. Help?

I disabled windows defender completely and nothing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:16:56 am by Maek| »
Soldat since 1.0.5

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: "Could not save settings"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:04:20 pm »
Where did you install soldat to? C:\Soldat ?

Sounds like soldat can't write to soldat.ini in the soldat folder.
Check if the Soldat.ini not set to read only and check the folder premissions.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Maek|

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:02:01 am »
Im not on my own pc now but I already cheked the read only, forgot to mention that. Not sure of the folder permissions, I have to check that once I get back home. How exactly do I do that? Yes its on C:\soldat.
Soldat since 1.0.5

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:04:46 am »
It's somewhere in the Folder properties (right click on the folder -> properties)
Rules

Offline Maek|

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:14:58 am »
Son of a #####!!! Looks like ALL of my folders in C are set to read only, and when I take it off it turns back on again! I have set my user as adminstrator and I have all the access rights etc. This is a relativey common bug in vin vista and 7 and I seem to be unable to fix it! Can you help me with that?

Anyone? :/ I can still play the game perfectly fine, its just annoying that I have to enter the player options every time I start the game. It works when I manyally modify the soldat.ini file, but for some reason Soldat cannot rewrite it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:51:40 am by Maek| »
Soldat since 1.0.5

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Rules

Offline Maek|

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 01:40:50 am »
Thanks, but I have tried all that already. :P All the "take ownership" and cmd tricks.. I'm stumped. The readonly box is squared not ticked, thats apparently how its supposed to be as the guys in that thread says so. So thats not the problem I guess. Still the Soldat problem resists to go away.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:08:22 am by Maek| »
Soldat since 1.0.5

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 02:07:22 am »
just had the same problem yesterday, when installing soldat on windows7. The solution was in that old thread. Just to be clear, you sure you clicked right mouse button on soldat.exe and clicked "run as administrator"?
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Maek|

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:10:10 am »
Yes I have tried that. But I'll try it again for sure once I get back to my PC. The intresting fact is, that this problem started BEFORE I installed Windows 7. It just suddenly started for no apparent cause.

I tried everything again, nothing. I moved the soldat folder to E: drive, didnt help. Oh it also says "Could not save chat settings" or something like that.

I give up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:19:57 am by Maek| »
Soldat since 1.0.5