Author Topic: Respawn protection  (Read 2888 times)

Offline NeonUsui

• Major(1)
  • Whirlwind of steel and fire.
Respawn protection
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:46:33 am »
Sometimes when you respawn and near your base is someone with m79 or lets say just normal nade, they wait the exact time and throw/shoot at you, before you can do anything you die because they know exact time of this protection. When nade hits you protection is already gone and all you could do in that time shoot one bullet from ak. So what I suggest is that make this respawn protection random.
Example if it is now 1 second, make it 1-2 seconds.
I'm sure this will increas game play!

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: Respawn protection
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:33:24 am »
I don't think this would help much as nades cold still kill you because of the delay or you stand on them (no sure though).
It would also require netcode changes afaik.

Maybe there are other ideas for a nice antispawn solution if people really want it.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »
How about this:

when a player spawns, the 'energy bubble' that surrounds them during the invulnerable period acts as a bullet deflector, and/or nullifying any damage/force that bullet could make to that client completely. Any projectile/weapon that collides with this circle basically bounces off and/or can not register damage/force ever.

This deflective/nullifying effect persists for a tiny period after the 'energy bubble' sprite itself disappears, thus making any bullets in range redundant at that crucial time.

Not perfect, especially for melee type attacks, but surely still it could do something?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:01:58 pm »
How about this:

when a player spawns, the 'energy bubble' that surrounds them during the invulnerable period acts as a bullet deflector, and/or nullifying any damage/force that bullet could make to that client completely. Any projectile/weapon that collides with this circle basically bounces off and/or can not register damage/force ever.

This deflective/nullifying effect persists for a tiny period after the 'energy bubble' sprite itself disappears, thus making any bullets in range redundant at that crucial time.

Not perfect, especially for melee type attacks, but surely still it could do something?
.... have you even played soldat? that's exactly how it is now. (pretty much)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »
uh ginn, it was only for that nades couldn't get under you and when you lose the spawn protection they kill you. With that kind of an energy shield it MAY be better, and at least look cooler with some effects
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:04:21 am »
Since ginn clearly didnt get it, I thought Id clarify it a bit better:

My idea is that any projectile (bullets, nades, flame, piss etc) in a given radius of a spawning player;

bounces off
and/or
Cannot hurt or affect that player at all ever

and that this effect is fractionally longer than the invulnerable period. This is so that when the invulnerable time ends, the game can still quickly check for projectiles in range that need to be nullified in order to make it fair.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:30:11 am by KYnetiK »
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:02:36 am »
What about players in who hide in that "bubble", will they be able to shoot out of it?
If not: Don't you think it would be annoying for them?
(Imagine you are sniping in the base and an enemy arrives suddenly a player respawns your shot hits the "bubble" you loose a kill and you are in danger because it will take a while to shoot again (probably longer then the "bubble" will last.

On the other side when players from the same team can shoot out of it, wouldn't that be unfair?
Imagine a flagger hiding in the base using the "bubbles" to survive.
Rules

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:28:15 am »
Nononono - the projectiles that touch the bubble are not rendered useless to everybody - only useless against the client that owns the bubble.

Your example of the bubble being an obstacle would be true if the bubble acted as a deflector. The 'bounce off' idea isn't ideal, but nullifying the bullet for that client if its projected position is too close to the player should help for when the invulnerable time finishes.

Basically the problem is the game doesn't know if a dangerous object is in range of hurting the player the instant they become vulnerable. My solution is to make the game check and disable any dangerous object that is in range as it sets the player to vulnerable, so that they may spawn with a clean(er) slate. Naturally, the player shouldnt be able to shoot when invulnerable.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:48:08 am by KYnetiK »

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 07:36:48 am »
I see.

Any projectile/weapon that collides with this circle basically bounces off and/or can not register damage/force ever.
I guess this made me think it would be a shield like bubble. :)

[...] the projectiles that touch the bubble are not rendered useless to everybody - only useless against the client that owns the bubble.
This would fix the issue with nades.

This would be somewhat similar to the old way of respawning where you could shoot while beeing immortal.
Rules

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »
[...] the old way of respawning where you could shoot while beeing immortal.

Why was that changed anyway?
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »
[...] the old way of respawning where you could shoot while beeing immortal.

Why was that changed anyway?
I don't know :S
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 04:14:49 pm »
Learning how to spawn without getting killed is a part of soldat, there are many different moves you can do to avoid the spawnkilling. Getting away from the player, hide behind something, or jump up to get a better position are some of them.

How about:
The respawn time could be as normal, but shooting would enable you to kill and at the same time cancel your immortality?

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 05:29:16 pm »
just dont get spawn killed :s not really a problem imo... if you do add some sort of protection please do make it optional in server settings and non-default also, turning it on results in (PUSSIES) being added to your server name.

@Fryer: I believe it was to fix the knife bug that you could hold F while spawning and instantly throw a full power knife once you spawned.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline NeonUsui

• Major(1)
  • Whirlwind of steel and fire.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:35:36 am »
How about:
The respawn time could be as normal, but shooting would enable you to kill and at the same time cancel your immortality?

I think this is a good idea!

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 02:41:03 pm »
spawn killing is part of the game in some game modes.
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 02:55:22 pm »
Spawn killing is definetly an issue. Sometimes, you join a pub for the fun of it and get insta-gibbed by 4 M79-weilding players with little knowledge of the English language who will call you noob for getting spawn-killed 10 times in a row. I am not exaggerating here (maybe a tiny bit - but still!), and this is an issue to be taken care of as soon as possible if you want to keep Soldat fun!

I fully agree with Kynetik (bubble-stuff), but I would also add a variable which is a boolean to all players. If the value is true, the player is invulnerable. If it is false.. you make the math ;) It would make scripting some stuff a whole lot easier, and we would finally not need to make damage received to a very low amount (like -9999) so a player is not insta-killed by a direct hitting missile.

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »
go cry about having a m79 on your ass, what do you expect with 4000 players in a server retard wow
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 03:03:57 pm »
I was just giving an example. The same can happen with any weapon, and extensive spawnkilling is indeed an issue. If you love it so much, go and enjoy it. But step off my lawn until you have some constructive feedback instead of insults and bad orthography.

Offline santa22

• Major(1)
  • Astronaut II, Astro Bot
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:49 pm »
That is a good idea
i get tired of spawners in the map. at least have a bit of time for your gun to load so you could get a shot out.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 04:59:10 am »
Make knife throwable at the time you are respawned[suggested this before]

Im chill like that