Author Topic: Soldat 1.6.0 Release Candidate  (Read 55581 times)

Offline Mighty

• Camper
Re: Soldat 1.6.0 Release Candidate
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2011, 02:30:56 pm »
Yaaay, just got back from a trip and *BOOM*, new version finally :D
Good job!
xFire: macmil        e-mail: macekmil@gmail.com
My scripts: Accuracy Script       Flashbang       Punishments GUID
            CatchMe Gamemod       AntiFake
            CW System             AntiFakeGUID

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2011, 03:38:09 pm »
If it is alot of effort to make it a server option, then keep it 4:3, simply for the fact that the weapon balance and all maps are made for 4:3 and not 16:9.
edit: resolution discussion continued in this topic: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=40434.0
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:42:33 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Naliz

• Soldier
    • R/S Community
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2011, 04:29:10 pm »
Not a bug, but i have to note that this change:
"Modified Spectators can only use Team Chat in Survival Mode while a round is active. Only applies to Spectator team"

will probably be not welcome by ANYONE. This is no solution to anything and will only be annoying at most times. No one requested such feature, Enesce (i suppose he's the one doing the anti-spy features) went a little too far with this one. Each of the other features are awesome and i'm looking forward to be using them, but i think this particular one should be removed and most likely this would be backed up by most of survival mode games.
Are you serious? At least I think that was an great idea to implement such a feature, now we can play rounds and concentrate more and don't have to hear spectators chatting.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »
If spectators are chatting they are using teamchat. If the spectators are chatting without using teamchat it means they are chatting with someone in the game. I don't see why would we want to give away the possibility for player-spectator to talk as this occurs very often - especially while arranging clan wars. Now it will be a lot harder to communicate for no good reason. Spectators spying don't even happen. Im surprised by your response, i believe you just didn't think it through.
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Proudest_Monkey

• Major(1)
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2011, 06:57:33 pm »
Congrats and thank you!  Everything looks very nice!

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2011, 11:22:56 pm »
I agree with Poop and, as a server operator, I would disable this for my servers. Whatever you guys say it IS unfair for people with older screens. Soldat is a game made, how many, 10 years ago ? Game and maps are made for 4:3.
I just want to say I agree since this is really obvious in my mind aswell. The maps, the weapons, the game is designed in a way and if you drastically change one part of the package you have to adjust everything else aswell including remaking all the maps which obviously isn't the way. (@I'm also strongly against the remaking of already Popular and Balanced maps like viet and snakebite, it simply makes no sense, at all.) The best solution is to make it an option, so that nobody loses and nobody gains an advantage over another, or if that's not possible stick to the older one. Also if there's one game where you should think about the audience with older hardware, that would be Soldat, but instead of thinking that as a burden, think it as a resource.
the game is using a completely new wm system.... this version isn't gonna be balanced anyway(might be if they're lucky).

Offline deguix

• Major
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:36 am »
2. [old] Bouncy Polygons don't make players bounce anymore
-- refering to a map with layered polys.

"Fixed bouncing issues with layered polygons" - all maps using layered polygons must be updated (i'm sure there are hundreds of them).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:56:08 am by deguix »

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 06:22:17 am »
small bug, the intro is not compatible with the 1.6.0RC
Also the mod starter doesn't work for me, it doesn't launch soldat at all even if I execute it as administrator
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:03:25 am by Serial K!ller »

Offline Squakingcow

• Major
  • pluck
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:35 am »
I really don't get what is so hard in deleting 1 map and copy pasting the other.
Bring back Viet!

Not just that, but people were complaining about the change 2 years ago and the devs/mappers simply ignored the complaints about replacing a popular map and now claim it's too late to change. l0l

I could argue until I am blue in the face as to why the new viet is a poor replacement (again), but it would fall on deaf ears (again).

Offline natsu.

• Major(1)
  • shit happens.
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 08:41:55 am »
Viet is really cool man, but what happened to Ruins ? Its totally ruined, in negative meaning of that word... I really hope other ppl will see the simplicity of old ruins and u'll bring it back or else they'll make alternative version like "ctf_OldRuins" or "ctf_Ruins_old" like it was with Nuubia when alpha spawn was bouncing.

oh and one bug @ Scorpion, because of 'player collide only' polygon:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:43:51 am by natsu. »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 01:07:10 pm »
The flags are supposed to fall like that.

Offline Xdada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:01 pm »
I don't think this is noted here: When choosing a fullscreen custom widescreen resolution (for example 854x480) and the device isn't reported to support the mode then the first suitable larger fullscreen mode is used, which is good, but the related handler also apparently overwrites the configuration setting and sets it to the found resolution (for example 1024x768) and yet use the widescreen perspective (with vertical bars) - the problem is that the next time the game's run it will use the last stored resolution and respectively handle the perspective's width (so if the stored resolution is 1024x768 it will display it in 4:3 ratio next time (instead of a 854x480 image upscaled (while maintaining the ratio) sufficiently for the width to meet that of 1024x768, 1024, and adding vertical bars as it would do the first time the game's run)). So the solution would be not storing the found compatible mode as a setting and just displaying the image in that resolution (the user should probably be notified of this somehow though) as it does the first time. This only affects fullscreen as windowed mode does not rely on screen-modes (although if you choose a custom resolution that has a greater width than the maximum reported resolution's width then it automatically uses a smaller resolution, yet this does not apply in case of height (the game-window will simply go out of the screen) or if a pre-defined resolution is used that has width or height higher than the desktop resolution (then it will also simply 'go out of screen' rendering the game's interface more or less unusable)). Damn, that's a sentence... Sorry about possible failures in wording or otherwise as I've barely gotten as much rest as I could have used during the past few days. Regardless, I hope I've managed to deliver the point. :]

Micro-edit: Mentioned 768 as the width for the resolution 1024x768 while that was not true (substituted with 1024), also added a space.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:46:10 pm by Xdada »

Offline SyavX

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »
Also the mod starter doesn't work for me, it doesn't launch soldat at all even if I execute it as administrator
Same here, it doesn't work.

Plus this:
Quote from: #soldat.devs
[22:55]   SyavX: hm. just noticed that 1.6 doesn't "see" interface elements saved with *.png extension
[22:56]   SyavX: old trick with renaming them to *.bmp works, but 1.5 worked with png's without any bypasses
[23:02]   SyavX: hm. one correction: it tries to load BMP 1st, if there is a BMP, it looks for PNG. if there is PNG - it loads PNG
[23:02]   SyavX: BUT !! if there is no BMP it doesn't try to look for PNG...
[23:04]   SyavX: it should look for PNG 1st and try to load BMP if there was no PNG..
[23:09]   SyavX: btw, there still is an old issue with interface graphics: they doesn't clears/resets on interface change
[23:09]   SyavX: e.g. if I've used one interface, then changed it via Options dialog, and there are some (or even all) graphic files missed in the second interface - Soldat will show the last loaded graphics from previous interface
[23:10]   SyavX: it shouldn't be like that

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2011, 06:25:43 pm »
Good job!

-Is it just me or is there a problem with the Reg-stars not showing?

-I just want to remind you of an old bug that I think you should consider to fix for this release:  When m79 is reloading the gun is locked at 90 degrees, this makes it impossible to throw flag at any other direction, as the flag will go where your gun points instead in your cursor direction. This is true for all guns, m79 is the best example.

-Btw, is it possible to have the option to choose wether I want UP+DOWN flagthrowing to work? Because I like that best and I rarely tab them by mistake.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:46:40 am by homerofgods »

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:23 pm »
First of all: Nice job to all the devs! :)

config.exe:
- unnecessary space (not used on any tab)
- the Internet connection speed is still very 1999...if it does actually make any change (does it?) why not updating it for nowadays connections?

misc:
- when using a widescreen connection the ESC-menu is overlapping the "Default Keys" stuff (the ESC-menu should always appear in the middle of the screen)
- when changing any key to another one this small window still appears for like 1/10 second (and while we're at this screenshot: for widescreen resolutions move the menu to the mid...I mean at the top not in the middle of the screen so Fitt's law still has it's effect)
- I've joined one public server and saw no registration star. The other guy on the server didn't see mine (and his) too. It was a teammatch server with survival enabled. I tried that setting locally but couldn't reproduce this bug.
- Is MSAC already working? Which dll does it use now? And do we still have to start Soldat.exe as admin?
- Keep in mind that using ASProtect on "Soldat.exe" gives it one more false positive (in total 4) at VirusTotal (compared to the old 1.5.0 "Soldat.exe").

Oh and btw (once again :p): Plzzz consider changing the updater to the one MM is using for his Link-Dead engine (the one he also uses for King Arthur's Gold). There were many many updates already (especially some small ones) and it worked very well. (Of course after the 1.6.0 version so you can release hotfixes without much hassle.)
Soldat needs no "installer"-updater. It's just this simple small game which you can zip, put on your USB-stick, take it to your friend and it still works. There are no reg-keys which needs to be updated or other strange difficult stuff. Simply checking one text-file (with only the version number inside) against the server, if the server says "my version is newer than yours" start hashing all neccessary files (exe, dll, ...) and compare those hashes with the hashes on the server. Those that differ get downloaded and replaced (maybe also always save the last version of a file"filename_OLD.extension" as a fallback).
Edit: Oh well...just read this. Seems like you're planing to make it a bit more complicated. But since all the core files (dll and exe) stay at the default installation folder this suggestion could still work imo because those are really the files which need to be updated for small fixes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:03:57 pm by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline ajithkumarcc

• Major(1)
  • http://ajithkumar.cc - Ajithkumar
    • Hi all.. I am new to this forum
Hi all.. I am new to this forum
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2011, 01:21:39 pm »
I'm Ajithkumar, currently living in Jersey City. I am new to the forum, hope you all accept me as a part of the community. I would like to play a role and add value to the forum. Any form of guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline GluLm

• Camper
  • Polybugs' nightmare
    • maps pack project
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2011, 02:35:58 pm »
Nice. Must be a lot of work keeping this game bug less.
Bring back Soldat 1.3.1! New bullet trails DIE!

Offline kakaduosi

• Major(1)
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2011, 02:45:50 pm »
1. Patch is applied, game went to unregistered version.
2. Can't set native resolution at startup: GMA 950
3. Can't dispaly visual/pop-up items error occured, after switching to desktop
4. Acess violation at adress .............

Thos are bugs that i noticed in first 2 minutes of using rc version.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »
One more: *click*
- move USSOCOM down to the secondary weapons
- add names for fists, nades and clusternades

And another one (I guess that's old): Exploitable polybug at ctf_Ash
Edit: Found even more. *click*
- the other end of the polybug is also strange when you throw a nade at it (doesn't always happen)
- found another exploitable polybug
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:26:58 pm by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:48 pm »
#soldat.devs
05:17:34 ‹xmRipper› hey guys, I've got a "fps" lag issue.
05:17:43 ‹xmRipper› i bought a notebook few months ago
05:18:03 ‹xmRipper› its cpu (intel i5 2410m) is as powerful as my desktop's (phenom ii x3 720)
05:18:17 ‹xmRipper› and its gpu is good for a notebook (geforce gt 540m)

edit: btw, i'm not sure if soldat really uses that gpu, because my notebook has dual graphics adapters and Config only sees the Intel one. Bug report here.

05:18:26 ‹xmRipper› most highend games working nicely, but Soldat... there is something wrong with it
05:18:44 ‹xmRipper› I play soldat very rarely for almost a year
05:18:56 ‹xmRipper› New 1.6.0 RC1 version released and I was using my notebook then I realised the problem.
05:19:12 ‹xmRipper› there isn't any problem on my desktop pc. edit: I've never experienced any lag issue on soldat before.
05:19:36 ‹xmRipper› every 3-4 seconds, game turns into a slide-show for 1-2 seconds, as it were 10-20 fps (but shows 100fps)
05:19:53 ‹xmRipper› meaning 3 secs of playing, 2 secs lagging, 3 secs playing, 2 secs lagging and so on ...
05:20:08 ‹xmRipper› I downloaded the old version 1.4.2 and the problem also exist for it, same timing.
05:20:26 ‹xmRipper› after an hour of juggling with the every setting in config,
05:20:35 ‹xmRipper› I realized that I turned on the "high resolution timer" in 1.6.0
05:20:52 ‹xmRipper› but turning that off does not solve the problem
05:20:58 ‹xmRipper› its just a work-around
05:21:13 ‹xmRipper› because after turning that off, game still lags but not for 2 seconds
05:21:18 ‹xmRipper› it turns into a moment of lag! still irritating.
05:21:54 ‹xmRipper› so what "high resolution timer" does? According to zakath, it is for calculating fps.
05:22:11 ‹xmRipper› I wonder that, do game need to calculate fps to work? Because I don't need to see fps.
05:22:29 ‹xmRipper› this goes to all devs, Shoozza , Fryer and others..
05:27:49 ‹xmRipper› uh... ok it's dead of night so this one goes to soldat forums :P

edit:
nevermind the struckthrough thing. "high resultion timer" has nothing to do with it. I'm still investigating.

edit2:
I've done some testing:

VSYNC: OFF
FPS Limit: OFF
HRT: OFF / ON (same for both)
- lags every 3 seconds. 100+ fps.

VSYNC: ON
FPS Limit: OFF
HRT: OFF / ON (same for both)
- laggy just for a moment every 5 secs! irritating. 60-65 fps.

FPS Limit: ON (60)
HRT: OFF
- laggy as hell all the time. 40 fps static.

HRT: ON
- THE BEST. NO PROBLEM AT ALL. 59 fps static.

VSYNC: OFF
HRT: ON
- looks ok, but feeling is NOT best as when vsync was on.

So thats all and I don't know how to conclude.

Shortcut icon issue. Check the screenshot in attachment.
You guys must already realized, but I'm going to report it anyway.

Both are Soldat 1.6.0. Upper one is Soldat.exe, lower one is uninstall thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:26:30 pm by xmRipper »
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community