Author Topic: 16:9 resolution change  (Read 22079 times)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
Re: 16:9 resolution change
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 08:46:07 am »
I support the Fryer's idea about the extra resolution going behind the back of the player. It's great!
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 09:00:27 am »
it's Loner's idea, at least give him the credit ;)
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 09:33:11 am »
Meh, I like widescreen as it is handled now, no need to change it, imo.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Xdada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 02:20:53 pm »
i have 16:10 screen, using 1024x768 for soldat (fullscreen) and never had any black bars, so i don't really understand what's going on
As whether the game uses widescreen or not depends on the used resolution, you will not get any black bars with a 4:3 resolution (such as 1024x768) regardless of the physical dimensions of the monitor's screen; the way a resolution is handled depends on your monitor( and drivers), on a higher ratio monitor (such as yours) a 4:3 image would be either 'letter-boxed' (horizontal black bars to compensate) or stretched(your case). If the chosen resolution is beyond a lower or higher ratio-limit (<4:3 or >16:9) then the game adjusts the image output itself and applies either letter-boxing or stretching. (Oddly enough, in case of ratios above 16:9, the image that is letter-boxed is in a ratio of 4:3 instead of 16:9, resulting in large horizontal bars even if the ratio is just barely above 16:9. Ratios below 4:3 result in stretching. If it's >4:3 but smaller than 16:9 then the perspective's width depends on the ratio and no letter-boxing is applied (you see more than in case of 4:3 ratio but less than with 16:9 ratio).)

Edit: Added note about the >4:3 and <16:9 case
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:31:01 pm by Xdada »

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »
it's Loner's idea, at least give him the credit ;)
Actually, we both got the idea. (I coded it before reading his post.) :)
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Ouchek

• Soldier
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2011, 09:21:38 am »
I don't see how making it an option would harm the community in any way? It would just make the competitive gaming fairer because if you guys indeed add this feature 4:3 users are very disadvantaged....

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 11:13:34 am »
I don't see how making it an option would harm the community in any way? It would just make the competitive gaming fairer because if you guys indeed add this feature 4:3 users are very disadvantaged....
then use 16:9 aspect ratio, it's not that god damn hard.
You're whining about something not being comfortable for you, you have no backing by anyone else. The wm and maps not being made for an extended view was kind of an argument, but your current "I don't wanna play in 16:9 on my 4:3 screen" is just an extremely retarded argument.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 05:46:40 pm »
Actually he may say "then why can't YOU play 4:3 on your's instead?".
I think that Loner's/Fryer's idea with placing additional space behind the player is fair enough
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 05:58:09 pm »
Actually he may say "then why can't YOU play 4:3 on your's instead?".
I think that Loner's/Fryer's idea with placing additional space behind the player is fair enough
why would I play 4:3 if there's 16:9?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 05:58:51 pm »
16:9 is the future, 16:9 is simply better.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:13 am »
You're whining about something not being comfortable for you, you have no backing by anyone else. The wm and maps not being made for an extended view was kind of an argument, but your current "I don't wanna play in 16:9 on my 4:3 screen" is just an extremely retarded argument.
What the hell?
Are you omniscient? You know how people with 4:3 screen feel? You're inside their head?

For one, the "I don't wanna play in 16:9 on my 4:3 screen" argument that you call "extremely retarted":
Is the one and only reason I am against that new widescreen implementation.

As an hide and seek player,I like the idea of seeing further, it gives more emphasis on running skills and less on surprise attacks, boosts and other lame tactics.

Before the new implementation, I was wishing for a bigger field of view.

But now that I actually tested it, I'm strongly against it. And consider it as a big deal.

The reason is that on a 4:3 screen the game becomes too small to be comfortable.
Tested with soldat windowed (800x480) on a 800x600 desktop resolution. On a 21 inch 4:3 monitor.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:00:44 am by Bistoufly »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 07:42:02 am »
What the hell?
Are you omniscient? You know how people with 4:3 screen feel? You're inside their head?

For one, the "I don't wanna play in 16:9 on my 4:3 screen" argument that you call "extremely retarted":
Is the one and only reason I am against that new widescreen implementation.
I don't need to know how a person feels or think to look at something objectively, even if I knew how the person felt, I shouldn't take that into account.
The argument "I don't want x to change because 'I'm personally not comfortable with it/it isn't perfect for me'." is just selfish and childish.

I like the reason you're fighting for to keep 4:3 as the only aspect ratio.

The reason is that on a 4:3 screen the game becomes too small to be comfortable.
Tested with soldat windowed (800x480) on a 800x600 desktop resolution. On a 21 inch 4:3 monitor.
well, your soldat screen will be 82% of what a 16:9 screen would see if it was running soldat in 4:3.... so the 16:9 will have a 22% larger screen while running the game in 4:3 than the 4:3 screen running the game in 16:9.
I guess somebody could do the maths better. :p

Offline tk

• Soldier
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:13 am »
well, your soldat screen will be 82% of what a 16:9 screen would see if it was running soldat in 4:3.... so the 16:9 will have a 22% larger screen while running the game in 4:3 than the 4:3 screen running the game in 16:9.

Then cut some top and bottom in 16:9 so displayed area is the same as in 4:3 (my previous post)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:01:17 am by tk »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:01 am »
there are no fucking balance issues, are you guys completely fucking retarded? Fryer fixed the balance issue with 16:9 resolution, all what's left is whiny 4:3 users that don't want to use 16:9.

Personally I play with 84% resize, so virtually my soldat screen is as big as Bistoufly, so I know he just talks bullshit.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 12:40:36 pm »

Then cut some top and bottom in 16:9 so displayed area is the same as in 4:3 (my previous post)
I'm against that, as it doesn't really remove the advantage widescreen users have, so on some maps widescreen users will do better (TW maps for example) and on some maps non-widescreen users will have an advantage.

there are no f**king balance issues, are you guys completely f**king retarded?
No need to rage. :/

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:31 pm »
there are no f**king balance issues, are you guys completely f**king retarded? Fryer fixed the balance issue with 16:9 resolution, all what's left is whiny 4:3 users that don't want to use 16:9.

Personally I play with 84% resize, so virtually my soldat screen is as big as Bistoufly, so I know he just talks bulls**t.

That makes no sense.
I already took my time to explain to you that I like the increase in view gameplay-wise. ( Tho it would be better if there was also a vertical gain )

If I was on a 16:9 widescreen. I would have no problem with this new feature.

So, if I understand correctly, you have no problem to play Soldat in a small window. Fine.
Different tastes, different styles, whatever float your boat.

I'm not like you. I can't play with such a small sized window. I tried. And I just can't.

Now if you would be kind and mature enough to respect others experience and opinion. I would gladly continue this conversation.
e.g.: refrain from saying things like:

-"I know he just talks bulls**t"
-"are you guys completely f**king retarded?"
-" is just selfish and childish."

Offline Ricrylonten

• Major
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »
Please disregard anything Banana-san aka ginn has to say—I mean really, please, do not reply to his posts. Don't even read them.

- Sincerely, the entire competitive community

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 02:09:31 am »
Please disregard anything Banana-san aka ginn has to say—I mean really, please, do not reply to his posts. Don't even read them.

- Sincerely, the entire competitive community
ricr, you're not one to talk. If I remember correctly (and my movie) you banned me for being suspicious (for hacking) and banned me from #sna.gather.
Besides, it's mostly the part of the community that barely can reach the play offs and can't deal with getting beaten by a troll that resorts into "hating" me.

Now if you would be kind and mature enough to respect others experience and opinion. I would gladly continue this conversation.
e.g.: refrain from saying things like:

-"I know he just talks bulls**t"
-"are you guys completely f**king retarded?"
-" is just selfish and childish."
I can't argue with somebody who cannot live with something that isn't perfect for them. You need understand that you can get used to anything at all, right now it's just about you not willing to try a change.

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 07:57:28 am »
I like Fryer/Loner 's idea as well. It's fair for everyone and won't be accountable for any weapon balance screw ups. 4:3 users will only have a tiny disadvantage now and they are able to run in 16:9 anyway, but really everyone should have a widescreen by now.
Get with times people!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »
My only concern about my/fryer's idea is that it'll help snipers/campers/sprayers notice enemies behind them faster, at least with current increase. In some cases it would save their lives. Personally I'd still prefer if extra view distance was evenly distributed between both sides, so that neither side would have a big enough increase to affect the balance.