Author Topic: 16:9 resolution change  (Read 22076 times)

Offline soulblade

• Soldier
Re: 16:9 resolution change
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33:10 am »
the increased view distance in the back would also have an advantage in CTF in certain situations

-it can be a harder to pass by enemies that are attacking your base when you are returning with their flag because they can spot you sooner.
-also when you are holding the flag and you are defending your teams base it will be easier to spot enemies that are sneaking from behind.

so you would be disadvantaged if you aren't using widescreen f.e. when your not registered (or will wide-screen not be an option for registered only?)

Yeah that's true it will still have some small advantages, but it will be much better than any increase to the front of the player. Most sneak attacks come from below or above though, it's much rarer for a flagger to get attacked from behind when he's at the spawn point.

I think 16:9 and 16:10 should have 1 free resolution like 4:3 and have higher resolutions only for registered users.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:36:33 am by soulblade »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2011, 06:46:40 am »
btw guys.... the inf maps aren't really balanced anyway, and the wm is made for ctf. So what difference does it make that you can see a bit behind you?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2011, 03:03:11 pm »
btw guys.... the inf maps aren't really balanced anyway, and the wm is made for ctf. So what difference does it make that you can see a bit behind you?
Like I've mentioned before, it's not just about balance - it's also about plain old fun. What's the fun in trying to sneak up on the enemy if he can spot you anyway?

Another thing - true, INF maps aren't as balanced, but extra view distance makes it even worse, since many INF maps are designed in such a way that you can't see all entrances to your base at once. Take a look at inf_Fortress example I posted earlier: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=40434.msg496506#msg496506
This is just one of the possible examples. There are other maps (and not just INF maps) that would be affected by this.

Most sneak attacks come from below or above though, it's much rarer for a flagger to get attacked from behind when he's at the spawn point.
But notice that by seing more behind you - you also see more behind-above and behind-below your soldier. Attacks from these directions would be even easier to dodge than an attack directly from behind.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:59:54 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »
This just means everyone is forced to buy an 16:9 or 16:10 screen. hahaha devs troll u
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

Offline Marquis

• Major(1)
  • The guy who uses Impact font is Foxconn.
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2011, 03:58:37 pm »
This just means everyone is forced to buy an 16:9 or 16:10 screen. hahaha devs troll u
just as much as sc2 forced everyone to buy a 16:9 screen OR play in windowed.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »
I don't understand why widescreen just can't have black bars around it. What's the big deal? Sounds like the selfishness of those who have 16:9 who want an advantage over 4:3 to me! And I have 16:9.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2011, 05:25:09 pm »
I don't understand why widescreen just can't have black bars around it. What's the big deal? Sounds like the selfishness of those who have 16:9 who want an advantage over 4:3 to me! And I have 16:9.
while in reality it's the exact opposite. It's not that big of a deal, but it's better to move forward.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »
while in reality it's the exact opposite. It's not that big of a deal, but it's better to move forward.
@Ginn: On a 16:9 monitor with or without black bars the graphics , gostecks, scenneries, polies, ... stay the same size.
On a 4:3 monitor these get significantly scaled down. That's the core of the problem. And that is why your statement is wrong.
The disadvantage is far grater for the 4:3. 

Also I'd like to know how buying an inferior technology is moving forward.
I've got the holy-grail of the gaming monitor: iijama vision master pro 514  (imput lag: 0ms ,max vertical refresh rate:200hz)
why in the world would I want to get an inferior 16:9 tft to play soldat? 

I'm sorry if I sound like I can't accept changes. I swear it's not that.
I like the idea of a greater view-able area gameplay-wise and I'm not worried about the implications on the weapon balance.

It's just that it's a pain to play like that on a 4:3.

btw: even in 800x600 desktop with soldat in 800x480, I already loose part of the view. 53 pixels to be precise.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:05 pm »
well, "downgrading" to a cheap 16:9 screen won't have an impact on your performance in soldat. I would see it as an upgrad, because you'll have a higher resolution, it won't use as much electricity and not weigh a ton.
Really, your screen is 7 years old....

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2011, 07:27:02 pm »
well, "downgrading" to a cheap 16:9 screen won't have an impact on your performance in soldat. I would see it as an upgrad, because you'll have a higher resolution, it won't use as much electricity and not weigh a ton.
Really, your screen is 7 years old....

Reactivity:
Even the best LCD's have significant input lag while CRT's have none. ( basically if you have a CRT you see the bullet before the guy with his LCD )
Fluidity:
On a fast paced game like soldat, fluidity is the most important aspect.
My CRT runs @200hz. The best lcd's run @120hz ( and are very expensive) Common lcd's only run @60hz.

I own two monitors:
a 21inch crt
a 22inch 16:9 lcd

I tried once running soldat on my lcd. Never again! After playing on the crt, going to the lcd is like watching a slideshow. Not to mention the ghosting and bluriness of the moving objects.

As for the resolution, it doesn't matter as Soldat is 640x480. ( 853x480 for Soldat 1.6 )
And anyway my CRT can go up to 2048x1536 while my LCD only goes up to 1920x1080

You're totally right about "it won't use as much electricity and not weigh a ton" tho.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2011, 07:42:43 pm »
well, older tfts were blurry, nowadays they're pretty clear and usually at about 5-6ms response-time. Soldat runs in 60fps, so the update interval isn't a problem.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »
well, older tfts were blurry, nowadays they're pretty clear and usually at about 5-6ms response-time.
The pixel response time and the input lag are two different things.

The "5-6ms response-time" is the gray to gray pixel response time.
For an LCD display, typical response times are 8 to 16 ms for black-white-black, or 2 to 6ms for grey-to-grey.

The problem is the input lag that adds up to this:
between 10ms and 68ms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

In other words:
delay on a crt: 0ms
delay on a lcd: 2 to 6ms + 10ms to 68ms

Soldat runs in 60fps, so the update interval isn't a problem.
Soldat doesn't run @60fps lol. You're simply playing it on a 60hz screen with the V-sync activated. ( V-sync is atomatically activated if you play full screen on soldat 1.5 )
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:16:17 pm by Bistoufly »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »
60 updates per second ;o

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2011, 05:52:43 am »
this went from a resolution change to here buy your monitor now topic

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2011, 06:03:34 am »
Maybe make a tournament in which the winners get 16:9 monitors?
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Marquis

• Major(1)
  • The guy who uses Impact font is Foxconn.
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:58 am »
what about a 16:5 monitor.

All soldaters could be f**ked if they had met the guy with this one

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »
I honestly don't comprehend the 4:3 users out there complaining. The matter is that either widescreen users get black bars (smaller view) or 4:3 users get black bars. It looks obvious to me that since most users have switched to widescreens, that that would be the preferred ratio.

The argument that soldat is scaled down much more for 4:3 users is bollocks. It's a game with gosteks made for a 640x480 resolution, on full screen you're already playing it with every gostek resized to be bigger. It being slightly smaller will really not be a big deal. You won't miss any detail.

Soldat is going forward, will you?

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2011, 04:26:05 pm »
The matter is that either widescreen users get black bars (smaller view) or 4:3 users get black bars. It looks obvious to me that since most users have switched to widescreens, that that would be the preferred ratio.
That's correct.

The argument that soldat is scaled down much more for 4:3 users is bollocks. It's a game with gosteks made for a 640x480 resolution, on full screen you're already playing it with every gostek resized to be bigger.
Speak for yourself. I set the desktop resolution on my crt to 640x480. That way I don't have to see the hideous stretching.
tl;dr:
640x480: Soldat looks the way it's meant to be. ( crisp image )
higher resolution: Soldat looks blurry and ugly. (resized graphics)
( blurryness accentuated by the contrast against the tiled interface )

It being slightly smaller will really not be a big deal. You won't miss any detail.
I wish it was like that. It's not. The game is unplayable for me as  it is right now. :/
Making it widescreen sure is a way to adapt to the new standards 
but Soldat is one of those game that don't really fit 16:9 anyway. ( Lots of vertical movement, huge jumps, jetpacks, ... )
So the added value is not worth the tradeoff.
Please consider that not everyone plays on a widescreen.
And that what is newer isn't always better. ( CRT's completely pwn LCD's in very fasted paced games where actions must be performed in a small time window. ( such as Soldat, Warsow, Quake3 , Cs, ... )

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2011, 05:25:56 pm »
The matter is that either widescreen users get black bars (smaller view) or 4:3 users get black bars. It looks obvious to me that since most users have switched to widescreens, that that would be the preferred ratio.
That's correct.

The argument that soldat is scaled down much more for 4:3 users is bollocks. It's a game with gosteks made for a 640x480 resolution, on full screen you're already playing it with every gostek resized to be bigger.
Speak for yourself. I set the desktop resolution on my crt to 640x480. That way I don't have to see the hideous stretching.
tl;dr:
640x480: Soldat looks the way it's meant to be. ( crisp image )
higher resolution: Soldat looks blurry and ugly. (resized graphics)
( blurryness accentuated by the contrast against the tiled interface )

It being slightly smaller will really not be a big deal. You won't miss any detail.
I wish it was like that. It's not. The game is unplayable for me as  it is right now. :/
Making it widescreen sure is a way to adapt to the new standards 
but Soldat is one of those game that don't really fit 16:9 anyway. ( Lots of vertical movement, huge jumps, jetpacks, ... )
So the added value is not worth the tradeoff.
Please consider that not everyone plays on a widescreen.
And that what is newer isn't always better. ( CRT's completely pwn LCD's in very fasted paced games where actions must be performed in a small time window. ( such as Soldat, Warsow, Quake3 , Cs, ... )
Soldat isn't even close to be on that level of competition, the top players in soldat isn't dependant on good gear, they just need what they're used to, even if they got better gear they might actually not play any better.
... besides, they always play tournaments on TFTs, probably LED though.