Poll

What should the second action key for F1-F12 be?

ALT
11 (61.1%)
SHIFT
5 (27.8%)
CTRL
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: What should the second action key for F1-F12 be? - ALT or SHIFT or CTRL?  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
As some of the F-keys have been changed and there are people who want a different solution:

Should Soldat use ALT+F? or SHIFT+F? or CTRL+F? for second action key?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Alt is useful in Taunts, so it should stay... Also, clicking Alt+F# is faster and more comfortable than Ctrl or Shift...

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
Yea, make it alt since it's the default key.
Wasn't ctrl the default throw nade button? I manually changed it last 4 years, but I did that cause I was quite sure it used to be ctrl, lol.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
Yea, make it alt since it's the default key.
Wasn't ctrl the default throw nade button? I manually changed it last 4 years, but I did that cause I was quite sure it used to be ctrl, lol.
E is a default throw nade button...

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
Alt is useful in Taunts, so it should stay...
I believe this discussion is not about the taunt shortcuts, but rather only secondary action for F-keys. Afaik, taunts will be staying [Alt+Key]. But I can see if we use Alt for taunts, and Ctrl or Shift for secondary F-key shortcuts, a tiny bit of initial confusion.

clicking Alt+F# is faster and more comfortable than Ctrl or Shift...
I must agree with you here, that it is more comfortable to do [Alt+F#], as opposed to using Ctrl or Shift keys.

Also, I would like to mention here what I mentioned on the original discussion on this topic:
How about:
[F1] - players list with scores / [ALT + F1] - hide player names
[F2] - weapon stats / [ALT + F2] - show/hide sniper line
[F3] - minimap on/off / [ALT + F3] - statistics (FPS, ping, network bandwith)
and the rest like in the manual: http://static.soldat.pl/man/manual-en.html
Using [ALT + F#] with numbers near 4 will increase the likelihood of somebody accidentally typing Alt+F4 (I, myself, miss keys on accident relatively often :P). Maybe it would be better to use CTRL or Shift.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
i use shift for nades and ctrl for prone. Don't forget that both of those keys can be set ppl.
* FalconPL votes alt
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
I like ALT as well, except this:

Using [ALT + F#] with numbers near 4 will increase the likelihood of somebody accidentally typing Alt+F4 (I, myself, miss keys on accident relatively often :P). Maybe it would be better to use CTRL or Shift.

So either
1) use Ctrl or Shift (in that case I vote Ctrl)
2) or make Soldat pop up a confirmation window if Alt+F4 is accidentally pressed.
3) or disable Alt+F4 altogether and use a different method to close the game (Alt+F9?).
I like option 3 the most.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:54:26 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline ginn

• Camper
you have to even f**king lift your hand off the wasd keys to press alt+f#, with shift+f# you aren't going away from them as much.
and, having it alt will make most people alt+f4 all the time....
Mostly it seems people are fanatic about the alt key. Some do have a point, when they've set ctrl/shift as movement/attack key, though, you're only pressing shift+F# for a second, and won't really cause you to throw a nade or so...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:51:30 pm by ginn »

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
So either
1) use Ctrl or Shift (in that case I vote Ctrl)
2) or make Soldat pop up a confirmation window if Alt+F4 is accidentally pressed.
3) or disable Alt+F4 altogether and use a different method to close the game (Alt+F9?).
I like option 3 the most.
2nd and 3rd option sounds nice... But we always can give to people a choice! They would can choose Action Key in Setup (default: Alt)...

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
I highly dislike the idea of disabling [Alt+F4] closing out of Soldat. Doing an alternate would just confuse people, since that is what it is for nearly every application.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
you'll close your soldat one and second time and then you'll just fking learn :P
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
I highly dislike the idea of disabling [Alt+F4] closing out of Soldat. Doing an alternate would just confuse people, since that is what it is for nearly every application.
True... So let's make a confirming window... ;)

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
Re: What should the second action key for F1-F12 be? - ALT or SHIFT or CTRL?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 07:29:59 am »
Alt is more comfortable to press with F keys.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 10:07:10 am »
Alt + F# is an effort, and that's why it's a good thing to have Alt+F4 to quit games. the way you press alt+F1-F4 is by placing your thumb on alt and then moving your hand upwards to then press the F# key. While using shift you use your pinky to hold shift and then you push your had forward to press the F# keys.

..... using the ALT key forces you to let go of your control and it'll take plenty of time to get back to the WASD keys again. SHIFT allows you to more swiftly use the F# keys and go back to WASD keys....
And ofc the issue with ALT+F4... people will be raging over how bad the controls are just a bit after you release it.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 01:17:18 pm »
you must lack a thumb if you have some problems to reach alt and one of wsad keys on the same time, sir.
- Andrew Lewis

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »
you must lack a thumb if you have some problems to reach alt and one of wsad keys on the same time, sir.
wrong thread?

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 04:30:26 pm »
... alt duh? shift i use for dropping weaps and ctrl is too far also dont remove alt f4 are you stupid?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »
wrong thread?
..... using the ALT key forces you to let go of your control and it'll take plenty of time to get back to the WASD keys again.
- Andrew Lewis

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 05:21:24 pm »
wrong thread?
..... using the ALT key forces you to let go of your control and it'll take plenty of time to get back to the WASD keys again.
did you read the topic of this thread at all? seriously...

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 05:00:03 am »
I'm just trying to prove you that alt doesn't give you "disadvantage" of kind comparing to other keys.
- Andrew Lewis