Author Topic: 1.6 New maps, post your opinions.  (Read 16771 times)

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Re: 1.6 New maps, post your opinions.
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 01:00:53 pm »
I just wonder to see the same maps in 1.6.0 with a new look. Not ugly maps created using the old mapmaker.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

DarkCrusade

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 02:06:13 pm »
if i gave a chucklewang about how the game looks i'd be playing another game

That's great, but that doesn't mean we should not improve Soldat and enhance the experience by making the maps look like something and not like horseshit. 

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 07:21:44 am »
No seriously, this game cannot be ''looking good'' give up on that.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 08:38:40 am »
Soldat will never be one of the high-quality visuals games, but you can make the best of it, and I see no point in leaving maps like ctf_Kampf or ctf_Run just like they were in all the other versions.

I don't even know why you guys are so against visual remakes. Do you like how shitty the graphics were?

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2011, 08:54:59 am »
tbh I don't like the visual remakes, loss of about 300fps and it just looks worse....

though, the game play change on ctf_Run seems very interessting, and I'm looking forward to play it. Imo most of the old maps should be replaced by fresh maps, so that the game doesn't stay the same forever.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 09:34:16 am »
tbh I don't like the visual remakes, loss of about 300fps and it just looks worse....

Sounds like asshattery. Tell me of one remake that decreased your FPS drastically.

though, the game play change on ctf_Run seems very interessting, and I'm looking forward to play it. Imo most of the old maps should be replaced by fresh maps, so that the game doesn't stay the same forever.

There is a big fail in your logic. On the one hand, you say that you don't want remakes of the old maps (which are totally new maps). On the other hand, you say you want new maps instead of the old ones. Great, that's troll logic.

Durr.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 10:02:01 am »

Sounds like asshattery. Tell me of one remake that decreased your FPS drastically.

There is a big fail in your logic. On the one hand, you say that you don't want remakes of the old maps (which are totally new maps). On the other hand, you say you want new maps instead of the old ones. Great, that's troll logic.

Durr.
try to read it again.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:12 am »
Didn't get any better, what can we do now?

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 10:49:28 am »
all of the remakes. In the old maps I have about 600-700fps, on the remakes I have about 250-300fps.

Visual remake =/= remake of game play elements. Modding soldat doesn't change it's game play, it'll still stay the same but look different.
Same goes for maps, just because you change the visuals doesn't mean you're changing the game play. Disliking one change doesn't mean you're disliking the other.
If you still don't get it, then I suggest you retake kindergarten.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
Do you really think that you need those hundreds of frames (per second)...? Human eye can see maximum 45 fps...

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 11:20:32 am »
Do you really think that you need those hundreds of frames (per second)...? Human eye can see maximum 45 fps...
Actually, you need like 500fps for the the eye to not notice a flash.
"Tests with Air force pilots have shown, that they could identify the plane on a flashed picture that was flashed only for 1/220th of a second.".
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm - not sure how legit this is but whatever.

Anyhow, the point is that people who are already suffering from low fps will have even lower ones, and that the visual remakes makes the map look uglier.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
But in reality you need only 30fps for nice and smooth gameplay.

FPS drop is probably a problem with Soldat itelf, and not the maps. It's been reported many times since the first 1.5.1 betas.
As the new default mappack requirements state - new maps and remakes must not have ANY png sceneries or semi-transparent polygons and polycount shouldn't exceed 700 polys, so none of the new maps should cause any performance issues.

"Old" maps are only old for those who've already been playing Soldat for a long time. For new players they'll still be fun maps that they've never played. I don't think it's that necessary to completely replace old maps with new ones. All they need are some bugfixes and a facelift. Layout changes shouldn't be done unless there some critical gameplay issues.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »
I like how you make any further discussion futile by insulting me

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 03:38:58 pm »
B2b, Laos, Nuubia, DD2, Viet, Division and Kampf are quite unbalanced, and should really be remove/remade... other maps with some slight unblanaced are MFM2, Steel, Blade (though maybe they fixed it?), Rotten (very slightly) and Cobra, those aren't really an issue, but still have some disadvantages/advantages for one side.
Meaning, 12/27 maps have balance issues, where as only 7 of them are somewhat critical.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 04:26:59 pm »
yeah like blade blue flag is much harder to shoot away

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
But in reality you need only 30fps for nice and smooth gameplay.
Please stop the misinformation. That's really irritating.  :(

30fps for a fast paced game?! What is wrong with you, seriously?  ???

30fps is very close to the bare minimum of fps to get an illusion of movement.
And you really believe its anyway close to smooth???

60fps is already mediocre,
but people got used to it when the lcd technology arrived (they accept only 60hz output from the gpu)
(and the new high-end pc monitors for gamers can accept 120hz, an evolution that came to make viable the new "3D with active glass" technology)

30fps is just completely unplayable.

btw: question for ginn: do you have the option "render smooth polygons" checked?
In my experience, when this option is activated it makes the fps drop significantly on maps that have lots of polygons.
For example the kampf remake is laggy compared to the original one when "render smooth polygon" is activated. But if it's not activated, kampf and kampf-remake get similar fps.

btw2: It's true that fps in Soldat are very unstable. So at the moment you need extra fps to compensate this issue.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »
actually in other games 30 fps should be fine, and 60 is perfect. But fps at soldat then yes i have to agree with you is veri bad

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2011, 09:31:50 pm »
At first I was taking you seriously until you said that^

30 fps unplayable? I'm sorry, but that's complete nonsense. I can't even imagine what kind of monitor you're using or what kind of superpowers your eyes have if 30 fps sounds so miserable to you..

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2011, 10:12:53 pm »
At first I was taking you seriously until you said that^

30 fps unplayable? I'm sorry, but that's complete nonsense. I can't even imagine what kind of monitor you're using or what kind of superpowers your eyes have if 30 fps sounds so miserable to you..

Come on man it is miserable.
Maybe you've never experienced playing with a monitor that goes higher than 60hz.

I really have a hard time figuring how you can feel 30 fps is smooth.
I mean it's just so low and slideshow-like that it's not a matter of feeling or taste.
It's so evident and obvious that 30fps is to slow to play soldat in decent condition.

I can't understand how someone can play soldat like this.
After 10 seconds playing at 30fps, I would rage and uninstall the game.

I'm really confused. All I can imagine is that your statement is based on things you heard or red. Maybe you base it on the fact that movies are recorded @ 24fps. Or maybe you base it on uninformed comments like Machina that says "Human eye can see maximum 45 fps"
But I can't imagine that you can base that on your own experience. Because it's evident that 30fps is way too low to play soldat. How could you even argue on that?  ???

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2011, 11:00:00 pm »
Everyone but you seems to manage fine.
It certainly is not unplayable, as you seem to think, and if it truly was, then there would be a market for that crt you are always preaching about.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs