Author Topic: Devlog update (2011-12-11) Build server, Unittests, bugfixes, autoupdater plans  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Hello everyone,
it's time for another devlog update!

I talked with FliesLikeABrick about a buildserver for Soldat so I don't have to compile Soldat, run the deployment script and send stuff to other devs each time.
This could be useful when we want to have testers run the latest build ;).
But nothing happened yet though.
The nice people in the #soldat.devs IRC channel on quakenet pointed me to a few build servers.
And I wrote a batch script which compiles soldatclient from commandline (with colored output - had my fun ;D

Also the bugs mentioned in the last devlog have been fixed - big thanks to tmtgr ;)

The other day I discussed a possible new autoupdater with Mr but the discussion was way to long so I probably have to keep making notes next time.

The new "player is typing bubble above heads" is taking shape slowly.

Soldat now includes a unit test project. I hope once we have enough automatic tests less bugs will slip into the releases.
In addition the new testing team will hopefully find other big bugs so we don't have to make a quick fix release again ;)

The majority of the dev team is currently busy with other stuff but I expect to see more activity in a few weeks when some people have more time to work on Soldat.

Ok that's everything for now.

But wait! I have some questions for you:

You prefer small devlog updates or larger ones?
I could post news as they come or collect them and post a larger update like I did till now?

Thanks for reading and till next time!
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
Consider twitter again, perhaps. I think it'd be the best way.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
Small devlog updates are nice. I like it, read it.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline Xadhoom

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major(1)
This  ;)

Offline Thomas

• Major
    • mnus.de
Keep up the good work!

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
I prefer weekly updates. An event you can look forward to. (If you find enough material to write it weekly)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
This  ;)
I agree as well. Small devlog updates keep things interesting.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
I don't think it has to be as strict as "an update per week". At least one update per month is good enough. Several updates per month - even better.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
I don't care how big the update is, as long as there is one and not in a gap of a few months

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
I think that constant updates are better.

You could make a twitter/facebook/wathever and post constantly and here in the forums only when something significant happens

ps.: nice work making developing easier
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:26:55 pm by As de Espada »
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
More frequent updates are better, but obviously you don't need to make a new post for every minor thing. I agree with L[0ne]R here: at least one post per month would be fine but more would be preferable.

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
I would prefer to have one update every week.

Quote from: Shoozza
The new "player is typing bubble above heads" is taking shape slowly
Will this appear while team chatting when the spy thing is turned off? Example: Alpha guy presses the team chat button and starts typing, bravo guy is standing near and can see that he's talking to his team. Not really a big problem.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Will this appear while team chatting when the spy thing is turned off? Example: Alpha guy presses the team chat button and starts typing, bravo guy is standing near and can see that he's talking to his team. Not really a big problem.
Think about it as: The player has the chat menu open (pressed T or Y) and is about to send a message.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
Think about it as: The player has the chat menu open (pressed T or Y) and is about to send a message.
I guess that means yes? Well, like I said, it's not really a big problem, you can't really spy just by knowing if they're team chatting or not.

I bet this will increase killing during chat as people will know for sure that they're not camping, and friendly matches aren't exactly common in Soldat. That doesn't mean I don't like the idea though. These will also appear in the F1 menu right?

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
I prefer weekly updates. An event you can look forward to. (If you find enough material to write it weekly)

Same here. I only visit when a new devlog update is released. =P So I like weekly updates.
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline -Bendarr-

• Soldier
all you need is an autoupdater that is efficient

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Weekly updates ftw, its been almost a month since last devlog so I started worrying about soldat. But now I see there is still work in progress which is good. Keep up the good work and weekly updates devs

Im chill like that

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Smaller - more possibilities to reply and get new posts to stats xD

Autoupdater is already done... Just take it from KAG and give it some lay-out :P

More time cause we have Christmas finally! You can expect my help with testing RC as I'm a Beta Team member :)

About bubbles... I hope enemies will cannot see my team-chat taunts as it was possible in 1.5...

Good luck my dear devs!

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Small...
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
I prefer weekly list of updates than camping on twitter.