Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-02-12) New release ASAP but which one? Leaving devs, fixes  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Hello there,

I'm back, well kind of, still not 100% but yeah I'm writing devlogs again so it can't be that bad.

There were a few reasons why you didn't see any devlogs one of them was because I wasn't there to write them. The other one was because nothing really happened. Not really good news but that's how it is.

Some of you might be aware of the recent inactivity in the dev team.
A few days ago ramirez (reko_t) told me that he has to step down as a developer due to time constraints. He will however still contribute when he can.
Also TmTgr is quitting and will no longer work on Soldat.

I want to thank them for their work and wish them the best. Maybe they'll find the way back to the dev team someday.

In the other news: Moonsonix issues.
I talked with MM about the Moonsonix problem for the unregistered players (Browser opens with www.moonsonix.com website).
And he wants a release ASAP.
So we'll try to get one out as soon as possible.

The question is if it will be just a hotfix or a real release.
And if it would be a hotfix which fixes should be included.

Obviously there would be no new weaponmod (which is currently in the works) or maps fixes (worst part).
But the real version could follow in the next 3 months. Which leaves us with enough time to try out the testing team.

If on the other side all changes get included it would take longer, the weapon mod would be included and the test team would get their chance. We wouldn't have to go back and choose what should be included and the version wouldn't be compatible with the previous one (if we release a hotfix it might be possible to play together with Soldat 1.6.2 players).

*breathe*

Ok, now what did happen since last devlog post?
Like you've read in the first few Lines of this post, not much happened.
jrgp fixed the Moonsonix bug (http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=152), I did some minor changes and one small bugfix (http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=73) which still took some time to resolve and zakath updated the maps.

The minor changes consist mostly replacing 2011 with 2012, adding/removing comments, formatting code, making it easier for devs to switch between starting Soldat registered/unregistered without modifying the source code in the dev version and adding stuff that was added to server to the client (but commented out:P).
Ah and also updating the build scripts but that's not finished yet.

Besides that I was playing Soldat on Brazilian server and got asked for autographs - really?!
And a few new Soldat players on Leo's DM had a hard time getting killed by my knife. They threatened me to kick my ass (or something like that) if they don't get a Soldat key ;) after I told them who I am - true story.

Till next time!
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Sounds good to me.

Good story. (:

Offline themangokid2

• Major(1)
Kind of sad new. :/ I wonder if we could get back players. Almost all my gaming friends have played soldat. Why not show them it is still alive! :D I went to a starcraft 2 stream and typed "soldat ftw!" and there were at least 1 commenting (the comments flies bye so only a few will actually read it). He said that he played 1.3 because it was harder and needed more skill. Anyways, just spread the word. Anywhere, most people have just forgot it.

Kind regards, Herman

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
I vote for "hotfix" (with the latest map-fixes from the bugtracker) asap. This would create some small sort of "omagaad...new soldat version...I need to try this"-tension and that's never bad. It's now exactly four months after 1.6.2. It's not like we're rushing with them releases. One more fix-version shouldn't hurt anyone.

Like I said before, choose the Mozilla-way and release less but more often. (And finally kick MM's ass to help you with implementing the KAG-updater. Soldat's current updater is so 90's.)
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
nice. You might also want to put in a few new maps people created. for example: http://www.sctfl.net/forums/index.php?topic=36618.msg175822#msg175822

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Good to see you back k :)

(if we release a hotfix it might be possible to play together with Soldat 1.6.2 players)
THIS THIS F12 F12! Updating soldat client may seem simple to us but trust me ive seen people who cant deal with it so it would be the best way

Im chill like that

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
Huh, TmTgr didn't last too long. Thanks for what he did anyway.
Autographs? Lol, I want one :D
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Autographs? Lol, I want one :D
You, are, kidding! xD

nice. You might also want to put in a few new maps people created. for example: http://www.sctfl.net/forums/index.php?topic=36618.msg175822#msg175822
Thats up to zakath and the mapping team. I trust them, they know what to do.

I vote for "hotfix" (with the latest map-fixes from the bugtracker) asap. This would create some small sort of "omagaad...new soldat version...I need to try this"-tension and that's never bad. It's now exactly four months after 1.6.2. It's not like we're rushing with them releases. One more fix-version shouldn't hurt anyone.

Like I said before, choose the Mozilla-way and release less but more often. (And finally kick MM's ass to help you with implementing the KAG-updater. Soldat's current updater is so 90's.)
The map hotfix would mean it's a non compatible update.

KAG is written in a different language, uses different libraries and also uses a dll for the gamecore so it's somewhat different. But I guess I taking a look at his way of doing it wouldn't hurt.

As for the Mozilla-ish way (or should it be Chrome-ish as it originates from Chrome ;D) well once the new updater is there it will be easier to release stuff (that's the plan anyways).

As for now I think a full release would be better (you get more features and we don't have to readd bugfixes - yep lazy, that's how it should be, don't do stuff more then once :D).
Rules

Offline Xadhoom

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major(1)
12-02-10 08:48:29 [KevinW4TD] prevent the game from spawning you where other players already are
12-02-10 08:48:54 [Shoozza |Shz] would be nice if you could really post that on the forums.soldat.pl forum
12-02-10 08:49:07 [KevinW4TD] thats probably already been said
12-02-10 08:49:09 [Shoozza |Shz] so i have it in "memory" and can look it up
12-02-10 08:49:20 [KevinW4TD] will you register me if i do it?! :DDDDD

Lol   ;)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Still not sure what he meant. But yeah ;)
Rules

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
he meant when someone spawns in spawnpoint x he wants someone else to be spawned on spanpoint y to prevent crowding i believe and thus making it easier to run away from spawn

Im chill like that

Offline Xadhoom

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major(1)
Imo he suggests to introduce some spawnpoint_is_clear indicator, which prevents people (on DM / TDM / HTF most likely) from being spawnkilled by passing_by players, who happen to be at the right place at the right time.
spawnpoint_is_clear indicator would cause only being spawned at those spawnpoints with the fewest enemys right in the spawnpoint area.

It's a fine idea, though I doubt it's doable; also, being spawnkilled belongs to the game - in most situations.  ;)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
I want a T-shirt with Shoozza on front :D