Author Topic: Helmet Colour Separate and Excessive Camper Spotting  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
Helmet Colour Separate and Excessive Camper Spotting
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:00:09 am »
1: I think the Helmet Colour Separate part is somewhat clear. The thing is, when you have helmet on and you only play CTF/INF the only thing that distinguishes your guy from others is his pants and skin colour (and jets if registered, but no jet CTF maps do exist). So basically have hats/helmets as a separate option or make it unchanged in team modes, not very important but nice and shouldn't be very confusing because custom hair colour(usually dreads) isn't. Also, yes, I'm aware your helmet can fall off.

2: I know camping is legit but it's excessive camping where people just sit in the same spot for 10 minutes that bothers me. So the second idea is that after a certain amount of time without decent velocity the camper's name will appear in white on the sides of the screen based on position, like your teammates names do so in green(or red if they're dead), and would also work in non-team matches (it's sort of possible with scripting but doesn't look great, messes with text and is inaccurate). Edit time via the server's INI file, 0 to disable. Perhaps make 0 default.

*Request Poll attached*
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:51:15 pm by Tehbugerz0r »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Re: Helmet Colour Separate and Excessive Camper Spotting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:11:40 am »
2. anti camp/spawn script im using does protect from excessive spawning/camping

Im chill like that

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:05:47 am »
1: I think it would be confusing.   F11

2: Campers can be annoying but this seems like a bad solution.   F11

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »
2. anti camp/spawn script im using does protect from excessive spawning/camping

You misunderstand, I'm talking about a script that has this exact function.

This post is incomplete, 1: why is it confusing? We have dreadlocks of all sorts of colours and it's not a bother. Perhaps it would take a short while for old players to adjust to it but I think torso representation is enough.

2: Why does it seem like a bad solution? Are we just going to "F11" everything so Soldat never can change the tiniest bit? Without adding anything this game will die. I think it's a good thing to include, but to have disabled by default, similar to the the punish TK option.

3: Don't the rules suggest your criticism needs to be constructive?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:53:33 pm by Tehbugerz0r »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:42 pm »

This post is incomplete, 1: why is it confusing? We have dreadlocks of all sorts of colours and it's not a bother. Perhaps it would take a short while for old players to adjust to it but I think torso representation is enough.
What makes you think that everyone shares your opinion on this?

I for one am not satisfied with the default torso + helmet representation.
That is why I modded my gosteck images:
.Slightly bigger Torso
.Black Pants
.Team colored Shoes

Thanks to this I no longer shoot on a teammate by mistake. Unfortunately I can't say the same for other players.
And here you are, suggesting something that will increase the chance of confusion.

2: Why does it seem like a bad solution?
I'm gonna keep it simple and give you the two main reasons.

- It adds another level of complexity to the interface and to the game mechanics.
This is IMO not desirable. Not to mention that seeing certain opponent names in white on your screen is counter-intuitive. 

- It sounds like a frontal attack against campers. And would provoke a lot of tension in the community.

Are we just going to "F11" everything so Soldat never can change the tiniest bit? Without adding anything this game will die.
The problem, you see,  Tehbugerz0r, is that you ask the good questions but give the wrong answers.

Re. 1:
No one can deny that the level of customization one can give to his soldier is a bit limited. And that some new possibilities would be nice.
There have been lots of suggestions regarding this:
New hair styles, new accessories, short pants, ...
Unlike your suggestion, these wouldn't mess with the team color code.

Re. 2: Instead of suggesting something that will be unacceptable for campers.
Wouldn't it make more sense to analyze why static players have so much advantage against mobile players.
I noticed a lot of bugs and design decisions that help to explain it.
I'll write a post about it later.

3: Don't the rules suggest your criticism needs to be constructive?
I hope you'll find this post constructive as my previous one was indeed incomplete.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »
yea like i said im using the anti camp/spawn script on my servers and it detects whether or not player is camping/spawning, warns and then kicks them eventually

Im chill like that