Author Topic: Hide all WM/Scripted/Subgame mode serves from Lobby by default  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Now that I got your attention.

The main problem is:
Beginners should see the original soldat when the first play it, not some hexer, rpg one, etc modification because they might get a wrong impression and stop playing.

Advanced players should have the option to know what "type of gameplay" the server offers without joining it.

There are a few issues with filtering servers of course:
Scripting - not all scripts modify the gameplay
Less weapons - all weapons necessary for "original soldat gameplay"?
Climbing - original gameplay restricted to default maps?

My current ideas:
Introduce indicators for "subgame mode", "scripting", "weaponmod"
Introduce a "modded server" indicator
Introduce subgame modes filters (together with modded server indicator?)

Maybe I'm missing something. Let me know.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Re: Hide all WM/Scripted/Subgame mode serves from Lobby by default
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:22:37 pm »
So you want to make it like overall soldat tips which disappear after few games? It could really decrease popularity of modded servers otherwise

Im chill like that

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:29:50 pm »
IIRC, the game Toribash had/has a system of making user created game modes or setups officially accepted. I guess a similar system could be implemented in Soldat, even though that would take some time to create and perhaps involve more than just coding in the game itself (servers for mod verification, etc.) What the player could then see in the join game tab would be something like this:

Disclaimer: I did this in 1-2 minutes using MSPaint, just to give an idea about what I mean. Obviously it looks like crap.

This could of course work in different ways, like grouping scripted and weapon modded servers or something similar instead, and not implementing a mod verification system in it at all if it's too much work. I've not thought about it much yet, and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the idea. Perhaps it can be combined with some other cool ideas.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:36:10 pm »
The first server I ever played was an RPG modded server (I believe it was called GojMod, or something), it took a little while before I realized that soldat doesn't truly have level ups.

If this was back when completely non-scripted were still at large then I would suggest to have them filtered out by default (and maybe have the filter turn off after they've played enough times). However, most servers with decent player visits have a script of some sort, be it a simple !nextmap. So the only solution I can think of is a modded icon displayed next to the country of the server.

Although, is it possible to have, say, a limited scripting option? One that would allow scripters to make very basic scripts for things such as !nextmap and still get through a scripted filter, it would do this disabling all functions/events that could alter gameplay (DrawText, CreateBullet,OnPlayerDamage, etc).

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »
I don't really see a big problem here. At the moment it is up to server admin to name it accordingly to what gamemode it provides and I'm totally fine with that. If you want to introduce a filter here then I also wouldn't try to come up with some smart filter solutions and rather leave the choice to mark the server as scripted to local admin/owner.

To make the filter "fair", I'd suggest to change all the current filters to Yes/No/Off switch rather than simple On/Off checkbox
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:50:41 pm »
@Fryer
I like that idea if tabs also included general stats(number of servers and players), and it would be great if you left OldLobby as on option in manual :)

Although, is it possible to have, say, a limited scripting option? One that would allow scripters to make very basic scripts for things such as !nextmap and still get through a scripted filter, it would do this disabling all functions/events that could alter gameplay (DrawText, CreateBullet,OnPlayerDamage, etc).

I have one script using DrawText on each of my servers and trust me it does not affect gameplay to the point where it should be filtered out ;]

I don't really see a big problem here. At the moment it is up to server admin to name it accordingly to what gamemode it provides and I'm totally fine with that. If you want to introduce a filter here then I also wouldn't try to come up with some smart filter solutions and rather leave the choice to mark the server as scripted to local admin/owner.

Yep, server names tell you a lot. Im sure everyone noticed that non-modded servers tend to have simple names.

//also server name character limit should be increased so you dont have to cut it short, instead of clearly marking it as a modded one :

Im chill like that

13th_account

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:58:50 pm »
I'd prefer to have custom WMs, scripting and non-default maps bunched together into it's own column "Modded" or as a discernible icon next to the flag.

People aren't stupid. If they see a server adequately branded as using custom settings then they'll pick something more vanilla for their first play session.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:35 pm »
Nice idea Fryer!

F12*99999
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »
Fryer's idea sounds kinda good.

Lets try to make a list of modes:

official:

Deathmatch
Pointmatch ( is this played? )
Capture the flag
Rambomatch
Infiltration
Hold the flag

official sub game modes:

Climb, m79 climb, grenade climb, switch climb, explosive climb, ski jumping
Snipe and Slice
Saw and Law
m79 only
One shots
Knife only ( dm / ctf ), Dodge Ball, Knife Sports
Hexer
Hide and Seek
Runmode ( regular , climb )
Zombie
Hold the base

I can see this being a lot of work to maintain.
I'm also worried about servers that will be tagged as custom.
It might reduce their visibility.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:54:57 pm by Bistoufly »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:36:36 pm »
The first line active the script as a custom game mode.
The second line could identify what custom gamemode it is.

Hmmm, and... an extra code/script could verify if these official custom gamemode is exacttly the official custom gamemode.

Or something like that.
I don't know if it's possible. *bitch please*
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:40:16 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Mighty

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:47:35 am »
Quote from: FalconPL
(...) change all the current filters to Yes/No/Off switch rather than simple On/Off checkbox
This!

On topic: if this thing is fully automatic, just like newbie tips showing, i would totally agree.
However, I already see these people whining why their gamemode is not official etc.
xFire: macmil        e-mail: macekmil@gmail.com
My scripts: Accuracy Script       Flashbang       Punishments GUID
            CatchMe Gamemod       AntiFake
            CW System             AntiFakeGUID

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 01:27:48 pm »
I want you to read about my old idea here: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=41567.msg503079#msg503079 It should be the greatest idea to amend issue about submodes.

Btw. I wouldn't hide those all servers. Just put them below the non-scripted.