Poll

Should the lobby chat in 1.5 be implemented and fixed with a few tweaks?

yea it would be nice
nah i like the current soldat nothing personal
i like the connect to irc
connect to irc and have the old lobby chat in 1.5 with tweaks
we really don't need both of these and would require a sh--load of coding

Author Topic: The ol lobby chat server thingy in 1.5 or maybe "connect to irc"  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
::) it would be awesome if they implanted the soldat lobby chat thingy from 1.5 and actually making it work
this will allow more people to talk to their friends..maybe even add a type of script where they can post a link to server where people can join it would be pretty nice if thats not possible maybe implanting IRC so their
is like a tab called "connect to irc" where people are automatically joined to #soldat, the current gather channels #nasoldat,#soldat.gather, etc and so on where they can play (most people don't even know about irc and probably will check it out) this will probably keep the community closer together  :o

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: The ol lobby chat server thingy in 1.5 or maybe "connect to irc"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:47:17 pm »
That certainly woudn't hurt.  :)

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:51:54 pm »
 ;D

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »
Are you on crack? Look through the change logs and previous topics and see the horrible reception lobby chat got and how *no one* used it. It was removed for a variety of  reasons that warrant it never being implemented again. Furthermore, just because you consider yourself an IRC veteran doesn't qualify you to come here and bark orders in horrible grammar without reading past threads or stickies that'd answer your question.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:24:04 pm »
Are you on crack? Look through the change logs and previous topics and see the horrible reception lobby chat got and how *no one* used it. It was removed for a variety of  reasons that warrant it never being implemented again. Furthermore, just because you consider yourself an IRC veteran doesn't qualify you to come here and bark orders in horrible grammar without reading past threads or stickies that'd answer your question.
not really and no I dont consider myself an irc veteran dickwad I was just trying to give people more options on soldat sorry for the bad grammar I guess im  only 14  [pigtail]
then again I might be on crack  [retard]

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:44 pm »
I don't think that we need it at all and yea, it'd require shitload of coding.
The only form i imagine it to be is in-game irc client, something like Mr did for 1.5 (or was it even for 1.4?), though that'd require even more shitload of coding.

Also, jrgp seriously, stop flaming people for just one mistake. You're an admin here for fuck sake, you're supposed to be a good guy. If you consider somebody to go beyond retardation limit then perhaps consider banning such person or punishing in any other way. Flaming back is not really a great help.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »
We could re-add it by looking at the sourcecode of soldat 1.5 but I don't think it's a good idea.
Even adding support to connect to different irc servers wouldn't make it an alternative for the current irc clients.

The in-game irc chat sounds better. But it should talk to a "normal" irc client.
On the other side it might annoy people when players are irc chatting instead of playing in-game.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »
 ::) i'm just happy people are actually looking at the topic if you don't like it i don't mind it was just a mindless suggestion 
now for some awesome powerpuff girl buttercupts  [pigtail]

Offline -Bendarr-

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »
I thought it was a pretty good idea. The fact that they didn't allow any other IRC servers to be connected to, especially when THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY USES QUAKENET! - is why nobody used it. it should just auto connect to quakenet and support authing

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »
AFAIK it's possible to script something like that. Falcon, didn't you have such script on your servers? I think something like that is more than enough.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 01:09:22 pm »
Ugh, you can talk from my servers with #soldat.eat-this! channel users and the other way around, as well as you can talk with #lrs users from Leo's servers but that's not really solving the problem.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:40 am »
Let's make something like this (there was probably something like it but not official and i'm not sure it's still working):
-new tab in Setup.exe called "IRC"
-Qnet supported only and that's all we need because all soldat channels stand on it
-you put there your username (auth) and password
-you choose startup channels those you will join when soldat is put on
-when you play on some server, you can see posts from channels you joined as normal posts in a server but with special prefix like "#lrs| +machina: join gather +1" (and some new color)
-there will be also commands...

You can imagine the rest of that system...

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »
The only reason you need an IRC tab is for players who don't have an IRC client installed.
But you don't need one as there is http://webchat.quakenet.org/ for just that.

No one wants to have multiple connections to an IRC server.

Some IRC uses however might enjoy ingame IRC (see my earlier post for the details).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:15 pm »
Ugh, you can talk from my servers with #soldat.eat-this! channel users and the other way around, as well as you can talk with #lrs users from Leo's servers but that's not really solving the problem.
Well, depends on what you see as a problem.
A simple Soldat-to-IRC chat would allow quick and easy communication with your favorite IRC channel (much like your script, except instead of !msg# a single symbol could be used, like ^ is for team chat). Problem is that you wouldn't be able to connect to multiple channels, join gathers, and use more advanced features.. but are these features really needed in Soldat? For that purpose players are better off using a full-fledged IRC client or at least a web-based one that Shoozza mentioned, so IMHO this problem isn't really worth solving in the first place.
A basic chat, however, can still have many good uses - chatting with your clanmates, leaving messages for server admins, or even just chatting with fellow soldateers on #Shoozza and invite them to join you on a server for example.