Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-04-29) Installer + translations, Lazarus GUI port, soon rc1  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Installers for both patch and full install is ready.
They support side by side installation up to 257 installed Soldat versions.
I think that should be enough even for the hardcore users ;)

The current downside is that they all have the same name in the windows uninstaller when you install the same version.
I'm not sure how I should name them to make it obvious.
Only the new versions (everything after 1.6.3b1) will support them.
Older versions will replace the uninstall entry for the first installation but you can still uninstall Soldat manually by running unins000.exe.

The patch finds correctly installed Soldat versions and only offers updates for the right versions.
If it can't find installed Soldat versions it will tell you and quit. If you install an old Soldat version you might have issues updating though.
It only allows you to update one version at a time but you are able to choose the folder where the update should be installed.

I had to add some lines to the installer which need translations.
Thankfully homerofgods helped to find people for the translations for both soldat and the installer ;)

The release candidate should be ready in a few days. I was afk most of the weekend so I couldn't finish it.

In other news: I started to port Soldat GUI to Lazarus/FPC (open source IDE and Delphi/Object Pascal Compiler)

This step is necessary if we want to get Soldat to run on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X and 64 bit versions of Windows.
It's still a long way but it's a start.

It seems to be possible to copy Soldat's GUI with Lazarus GUI elements. But to get it right I need to draw the controls on my own.
The lib I use is missing a few controls so I will take some time until I have all controls ready.
Also the behavior isn't the same as in Soldat but it's mostly stuff you wont notice unless you pay attention.

The Lazarus GUI will support keyboard focus which is missing in Soldat and as far as I know even cannot be added to it without this rewrite.
The plan is to make a 1to1 copy of the Soldat GUI in both behavior and look but improve it slightly (e.g. keyboard focus) for better usability.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
I am glad to hear considerations for other OSs are still in existence.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
Good job. So a few days ?

Btw how's msac doing?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Since you're porting the GUI (which, I imagine, involves its complete rewrite, right?), have you considered finally redesigning it to look a little bit more polished? If you think this is the time the menu GUI can be improved - I can get back to what I started long ago - creating concept images and graphics of potential new soldat GUI.

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
Add MSAC pls
SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Geez, there won't be MSAC in this version, yet. Unfortunately...

L[One]R, In fact, it might be a roght moment to make GUI not so old-looking for displaying... Some improvements would be cool, too.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Good job. So a few days ?

Btw how's msac doing?
I haven't heard anything from Mr so I guess MSAC will not make it to 1.6.3. Sorry about that. I would add it if I could but it's not ready.

I am glad to hear considerations for other OSs are still in existence.
Times change ;)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Yeah I hope this doesn't have the same fate of OpenSoldat....
There are other worlds than these

Offline Kaze

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • Arc-En-CieL
Keep up the good work Shoozza , really glad you guys are trying this hard for our beloved game! :-*

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
I see a bright future for Soldat :D But would be cool if more than one dev worked for it...