Author Topic: Public servers and lack of clantags  (Read 12622 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Public servers and lack of clantags
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:48 am »
Why is it that (at least on European servers) there are almost no players with clans(or at least clantags) these days? I noted this a few years back and these days it's far worse than back then, let alone earlier. It wasn't uncommon to find server full of players with weird clantags, and people asking to join clans and openly discussing creating a new clan - even if it was a "clan" with people playing under the same tag and meeting in servers.

Heck, at some point I thought that these "public" clans using msn/skype/xfire(as many clans were doing) were lame, but even them have disappeared.

What happened? What's different? How's the situation in the NA/SA scene? To fight this trend, I'm personally playing under a tag even when no clan exists.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Re: Public servers and lack of clantags
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:37:52 am »
It's all because of people those play without tag even they have 3 clans or more. They used to pick new nicks too to join anonymously game.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:45:09 am »
I really doubt it's just people playing under a "fakenick", although I do it myself too. (Hey FRYER! ;))

Just when you look at the "Clan Recruitment" forum, you can see all the threads from the past YEAR in the first page. Then, you go back a few dozen pages to around 2009 or even 2008, and you'll see multiple new threads posted weekly. I understand that the whole forum has been on a huge decline of activity, but that's nowhere near the decline of the "Clan Recruitment" forum and that (imo) to some extent can be seen in clan players(even if "amateur") in public servers.

Why could this be?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:10:51 pm »
Lack of clantags is true but like machina said, most people playing in a clan will create another nick to play incognito rather than use their own. (Based on antifakehwid script on my servers)

Im chill like that

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:50:28 am »
Not really many leaders decides to make an recruitment topic on this forum. If it happens, they make it on forum of a specific submode the clan belongs to. Generally recruitment happens by choosing players on some publics/gathers.

Offline ExHunter

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
  • Speedy go!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:21:30 pm »
Hey,

another thing is that there are also other forums - often community specific, where the people post clan recruitments. There are also alot sub-gamemodes, where the mode specific clans are just known and they do not need to make advertises.

I just derp around in HnS, climb and KO.. and there are alot players, which uses a clan tag.. Just my impress of this thing (atleast in these sub-gamemodes).

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »
Not really many leaders decides to make an recruitment topic on this forum.

How come did many leaders decide to make an recruitment topic on this forum say 3-4 years ago? Just go back a few pages and see for yourself, the amount of new threads has dropped dramatically within the past few years.

If it happens, they make it on forum of a specific submode the clan belongs to. Generally recruitment happens by choosing players on some publics/gathers.

Are you implying that people have just decided to abandon SoldatForums and move to do their recruitment in their own specific sub-communities? I personally don't play any sub-gamemodes so I am not aware of any of the communities.

My bottom point with this thread: These days a server with say 16 players, there's only one or two players with clan tags, but even a few years ago there were definitely more, and even more years ago like over half of the players carried some form of a clan tag. It has nothing to do with the amount of players imo, it has more to do with people being less interested in forming/playing in clans. Why is it so?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
Just go back a few pages and see for yourself, the amount of new threads has dropped dramatically within the past few years.
Well, that could happen bacause of huge time-space in releasing new Soldat. We all good know how much time needed to pass until 1.5.0+ has been released. SF seriously needs some promotion (Soldat itself too) to revive this forum. But don't know yet what would convince people to register and exist actively. Some banner on Soldat starter with some title encouraging people to post their opinions about game might have dome something.

SoldatForums
Have a say in Soldat! Participe game creation!

...or something like that.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:03:20 pm »
There were similar (year-two+) gaps from 1.2.1 to 1.3, 1.3.2 to 1.4, and 1.4.2 to 1.5. No doubt has the slow development pace affected the game's popularity in many ways(unfixed bugs, cheats, technical dificulties e.g. with the lobby and monsoonix), but I think it's not related to the fact that there's lesser proportion of the players carrying a clan tag than what there used to be.

It really seems/feels that these days players are not interested in clans/clanwars? As I mentioned, the fact that the general activity of this forum has been on a decline doesn't alone explain the huge drop in activity in these two clan related subforums(and what can be perceived in-game in publics, lack of players with clans). Is this only Soldat-specific phenomenon, or is this a shift in the whole "gaming culture" in general?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
  • Scripting beginner, mapper&owner of BCB servers.
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »
There were similar (year-two+) gaps from 1.2.1 to 1.3, 1.3.2 to 1.4, and 1.4.2 to 1.5. No doubt has the slow development pace affected the game's popularity in many ways(unfixed bugs, cheats, technical dificulties e.g. with the lobby and monsoonix), but I think it's not related to the fact that there's lesser proportion of the players carrying a clan tag than what there used to be.

It really seems/feels that these days players are not interested in clans/clanwars? As I mentioned, the fact that the general activity of this forum has been on a decline doesn't alone explain the huge drop in activity in these two clan related subforums(and what can be perceived in-game in publics, lack of players with clans). Is this only Soldat-specific phenomenon, or is this a shift in the whole "gaming culture" in general?

It seems that it is nowadays cool to use non-tag undercover nicks, even people of my clan tended to do this sometimes, specially when they wake up and dont wanna blame her tag or name with "i did just wake up" skills^^

It's a bad thing basicly, and even if i fail with the tag sometimes, it's a bigger shame to use undercover fake nicks instead of holding his "banner"(tag) up like a man.

BCB-Clan Page
You also can find clan BCB on our servers.

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline ITSNOTFUNNY

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 04:25:54 am »
I looked for a clan in the clan rec forum, nothing.

Soldat is dying and obviously the competitive scene as well.

There's your answer.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 05:53:09 am »
I looked for a clan in the clan rec forum, nothing.

The competitive scene doesn't hang out here. The clans who used to find recruits here on the rec forum usually didn't use IRC nor took part in the biggest leagues. Woulnd't really call those clans "the competitive scene."

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 06:12:25 am »
All competitive scene moved out to Soldat.Gather and all kinds of Soldat Leagues, as SCTFL, Polish Soldat League, or else. These clans train on dedicated, password-locked servers and you'll can't see them on publics.

I'd move to Soldat.Gather, but I have problem to get on Quake-net
Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 10:56:43 am »
I'd move to Soldat.Gather, but I have problem to get on Quake-net

What's the problem?

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 11:08:20 am »
"Joining the channel needs authentication. Visit <some 404 error on Quakenet homepage> for details".
[Barret]/
+

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 11:14:49 am »
"Joining the channel needs authentication. Visit <some 404 error on Quakenet homepage> for details".

http://www.quakenet.org/help/q/how-to-register-an-account-with-q

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 11:56:56 am »
Dusty's link should help you get authed. You can also try joining a gather channel that doesn't require you to be authed, like #sna.gather.

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 05:26:19 pm »
Thanks very much.

About the topic - I just think, that clan scene is hidden in not public servers.
[Barret]/
+

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 10:13:38 am »
As for the tags, personally I dont wear it because on our private servers where we CW everyday there is a system that recognizes player and its clan w/o tag into nickname.
Nowadays, no one of us plays pubs because when we join them, people usually leave, because we dominating over them. Talking about Knife Only game mode.

Offline ShioN

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 02:44:02 am »
There seems to be a fresh thinking several players making teams, using tags again, some never stopped using them, urra!!!!
with Siemowit (Valtirho), Bxxta & Szymo we made a private ctf 3v3 community on discord and we have had several mixed wars and clan wars :)

#NewWaveSoldat
#LongLiveSoldat