Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-05-21) Code cleanup, refactoring, moving stuff and PW port  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Hi everyone, sorry for the late post but I was afk most of the day ;).

This week we did mostly cleanup and refactoring.
Some unnecessary comments were removed and code was moved around.

Fryer helped me to move code to correct places so that it could be used in both server and client (less code to worry about ;)
Skoskav cleaned up/refactored some copy paste code and I also did some code clean up.

Besides that still I reused my old opengl map rendering code which I wrote back when I tried to add Soltv to the admin client (ARSSE).
This time I did a quick Polyworks mockup in Lazarus/FPC:

It's nowhere close to be of any use but I think porting Polyworks to Object Pascal isn't a bad idea as we could reuse both the map rendering code for soldat and maybe even integrate it into soldat.

I think I'll be busy and will do less the next few weeks. But as you can see Skoskav and Fryer are back working on soldat ;)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
ok. till next week

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Is refactoring coming to an end? nice job making the code cleaner ;)
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
I don't know if refactoring will ever come to an end hehe.

Good job! I'm glad to hear the mention of 'integration' of a map editor into Soldat is actually open. Do we really need/want that? I suppose it would help those who are first just starting Soldat.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
It's always good to know that 2 more devs are working on soldat, this what the dev team is suppossed to be doing right? YAY, waiting for the soltv in arsse :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:00:52 am by Bonecrusher »

Im chill like that

Offline ExHunter

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
  • Speedy go!
YAY, waiting for the soltv in arsse :D

He was talking about back in the past. So no SolTV in ARSSE :/

Well, nice job tho :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:14:17 am by ExHunter »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl

Well, nice job tho :D

ive been waiting few years for this feature so writing yet another comment keeps me intrested in soltv for arsse

Im chill like that

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
GJ, at all...

Wonder if that SolTV would be able to make some streaming of matcheswith full map shown...

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Besides that still I reused my old opengl map rendering code which I wrote back when I tried to add Soltv to the admin client (ARSSE).

Did I hear OpenGL? Did I hear Lazarus?

Does this mean we get a native (not wine..) Linux map editor?
There are other worlds than these

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Is refactoring coming to an end? nice job making the code cleaner ;)
There is a lot of soldat code which needs attention so not in the near future :P

I'm glad to hear the mention of 'integration' of a map editor into Soldat is actually open. Do we really need/want that? I suppose it would help those who are first just starting Soldat.
We probably don't need it but maybe you want to check out how awesome it could be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri614C_Buwg

ive been waiting few years for this feature so writing yet another comment keeps me intrested in soltv for arsse
I'm not sure how to handle ARSSE as I cannot share its code with anyone.
The other problem is that it's not easy to port to Lazarus/FPC because it heavily relies on windows messages and windows API functions.

Maybe updating the original map editor would be a better idea.

GJ, at all...

Wonder if that SolTV would be able to make some streaming of matcheswith full map shown...
SolTV relies on the refreshx packet which cannot be sent in realtime and has less information than you have when you are ingame so you would only see dots moving around.

Did I hear OpenGL? Did I hear Lazarus?

Does this mean we get a native (not wine..) Linux map editor?
Yes, but it will take some time.
We need to do this because Soldat Polyworks was written in Visual Basic 6 which is a dieing language.
This means we can either port it to Visual Basic .NET or we just port it to Lazarus/FPC which has the advantage that we can reuse its code in Soldat.
Btw we already got soldatserver to compile with Lazarus on Linux, Windows and Mac but it misses some stuff to be useful. So if you are interested in getting it to work correctly check out the code.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod