Author Topic: THE EATS  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
THE EATS
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:10:10 pm »
i don't know about you guys but i feel like eats are getting more common each version, and they really screw up the game for me sometimes. I even have situations sometimes where i hit them repeatedly and they still take no damage or when i knife someone right next to me it doesn't kill or takes like 90% hp. it's highly annoying and seen everywhere. i wouldn't mind if it was just an occasional thing where it only happens a few times but like every other kill is an eat. I suggest that we tweak the netcode for the next version every week (dev updates) so it's easier and faster  ::)

sorry for the bad english (jrgp)  [retard]

Fixed some English, but do watch the language; thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:39:24 am by Keron Cyst »

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Kaze

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • Arc-En-CieL
Re: THE EATS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:23:30 pm »
Fixing the netcode is not as easy as it seems to be , otherwise it wouls have been done awhile ago since Its everyones major complaint :p

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
someone should write a full and clear explanation to why the netcode is not fixed yet/not easy to fix, so all these questions and complaints could be directed with a link to one, satisfactory answer :P
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:24:07 pm »
someone should write a full and clear explanation to why the netcode is not fixed yet/not easy to fix, so all these questions and complaints could be directed with a link to one, satisfactory answer :P

Here's a list of some of the reasons:
  • The netcode is different on the server and the client (because Enesce was coding only on the server for a while and we got outdated version of the code). Because this and it's size, it's sometimes difficult to know which parts of it should be kept, removed and even uncommented.
  • On many places there are several pieces of code that are mean to do the same thing, but have a completely different approach to the problem.
  • Copy-paste code. It's making everything big and unreadable.
  • Some stuff that is meant to be in other places is in the netcode. (Yes, really...)

+ a lot of other different crap. I hope that clears it up for those who are still wondering why the hell we "waste time" on refactoring the code. ;)

ON TOPIC:
Since we were given different versions of the Soldat server and client source code as we started development, there might still be some out of sync stuff in there, causing more eats than usual. Some of the eats are also caused by a badly designed lag vs. bullet sync concept in the code, meaning lag -> eats for weapons like nades and Spas. The latter is probably quite easy to fix by modifying the code slightly, but the sync issues will take some time (refactoring, it's a good thing!)

Some eats are even caused by warping players (the jumping back and forth when they use a bad connection). There is a way to fix that, but then again, it's next to impossible to do it without refactoring the code first.

The final reason is packet loss, which could probably be fixed for players with at least a decent connection (will also need refactoring).

There could also be bugs causing some rare eats, but that will have to wait until the rest of the eats are fixed.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »
Just a thought:
I read many players complaining about the eats.
But it's far from the only net-code related issue in Soldat.

.Take for example the infamous "magnets" in climb. Move towards a death poly wall and stop right before it.
If your ping is high enough, Soldat will assume you are already touching the wall and you'll die as a result.

.There is also nade boosting. Try to nade boost from the collider situated at the upper entrance of ctf_Ash base. If your ping is high, you will find it very hard to conserve enough health while boosting.

=>I hope these issues will get as much consideration as the eats while the net-code is being improved.

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:39:15 pm »
Just a thought:
I read many players complaining about the eats.
But it's far from the only net-code related issue in Soldat.

.Take for example the infamous "magnets" in climb. Move towards a death poly wall and stop right before it.
If your ping is high enough, Soldat will assume you are already touching the wall and you'll die as a result.

.There is also nade boosting. Try to nade boost from the collider situated at the upper entrance of ctf_Ash base. If your ping is high, you will find it very hard to conserve enough health while boosting.

=>I hope these issues will get as much consideration as the eats while the net-code is being improved.
wow i never really thought about that magnet thing

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:36:27 am »

Yea cause the ping is high and it takes a bit more for the client to get the answer from server, so you die ;p

Im chill like that

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:57:29 am »
Improvements to netcode for the sake of nade/M79 boosts for high pinger players would be gladly appreciated. At high ping, a legitimately timed boost would end up being screwed up as the game thinks you are still on the ground when you are already in mid-air during the boost.

On the other hand though, at high ping it seems that you suffer less damage if you boost when you are falling as opposed to boosting when attempting to jump up.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:59:23 am by STM1993 »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »
there are some boosts that work better with high ping though :P... Try nading the roof and then as the nade almost hits you (after the bounce), you use M79. You'll get a great boost and barely take any damage at all~