Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Scientists Find Evidence That Proves God Exists!?!!?!!!!  (Read 20506 times)

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Scientists Find Evidence That Proves God Exists!?!!?!!!!
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2012, 01:43:51 pm »
Lots of religious people solved all of theirs too, you see, but as we can find out from this thread, agreeing with each other often means accepting some basics and I have a feeling I don't accept yours as they assume too much.

Are you assuming that mine assume?

If it doesn't, you'd be the first with that information and the chance to make it public. Although, yes I am, I wish it didn't but I still think it does.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2012, 01:48:53 pm »
point is that you made an argument that a single instance won't make everything happen.

with infinite instances everything will happen.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »
point is that you made an argument that a single instance won't make everything happen.

No, my point says after infinite moves (instances), a single state won't necessarily occur.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2012, 01:53:13 pm »

No, my point says after infinite moves (instances), a single state won't necessarily occur.
your example was of one instance.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2012, 01:54:20 pm »
But it was with an infinite amount of moves, which is the point.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2012, 01:55:21 pm »
If it doesn't, you'd be the first with that information and the chance to make it public. Although, yes I am, I wish it didn't but I still think it does.

Maybe we can probe this further. Sometimes I like to act more arrogant than I really am, for self-amusing purposes. In fact my entire presence on this forum is for self-amusement purposes, to be honest.

ginn, listen to Smegma, you don't know what you are talking about.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2012, 01:57:42 pm »
But it was with an infinite amount of moves, which is the point.
moves = time
starting point = 1 creations position.

Maybe we can probe this further. Sometimes I like to act more arrogant than I really am, for self-amusing purposes. In fact my entire presence on this forum is for self-amusement purposes, to be honest.

ginn, listen to Smegma, you don't know what you are talking about.
If you've solved all philosophical questions you have, you're very dull and arrogant. If you're acting arrogant for self-amusing purposes you are an arrogant person.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:59:28 pm by ginn »

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2012, 02:00:32 pm »
The point remains though, since your claim was anything that can occur, will occur, given infinite time. This isn't necessarily true.

Maybe we can probe this further.

If you have some sort of system that doesn't require any sort of assumptions, lay it on me. Though, my requirements are pretty stringent.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2012, 02:02:14 pm »
If you've solved all philosophical questions you have, you're very dull and arrogant. If you're acting arrogant for self-amusing purposes you are an arrogant person.

No that would make me a self-amusing person who acts arrogant. Maybe if the universe was infinite that would mean I was arrogant. Somehow. I guess that works, right?
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »
The point remains though, since your claim was anything that can occur, will occur, given infinite time. This isn't necessarily true.
Yes, true.
To be fair though, I never said infinite time, I said infinite space.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2012, 02:05:40 pm »
Who the fucked locked this shit?

I of course won't unlock it out of respect, but that was fucking shady man.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2012, 08:14:21 pm »
Hahaha, I didn't notice any mods on the board, so I was baffled. Must have happened by accident.

Thanks Xurich, unlocked

Sorry about the misclick, mangled*. I can merge the two topics if you want.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:16:27 pm by Smegma »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2012, 08:40:13 pm »
Moss have you ever read anything from this site?

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »
That's fine, it happens! No merging required, I can juggle!

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2012, 09:27:58 pm »
Moss have you ever read anything from this site?

Not at the moment, at parts you'd recommend?

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2012, 11:15:18 pm »
My two favorite sequences are Mysterious Answers to Mysterious Question and Reductionism, but they might be strange to follow if you haven't read previous posts.

Really though, all of it is very interesting. Here's some examples that Mangled* will surely like:
The Affect Heuristic -> The Halo Effect -> Superhero Bias -> Mere Messiahs
If you are interested in this sort of things I can recommend other interesting articles. Articles about Absence of Evidence and such are useful for this discussion. Also most of the site ISN'T about religion, I just picked a few posts related to religion since it's a religion topic here.

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »
What do you mean reset? I mean, you start at point A and move from there, whats the probability you reach A after an infinite amount of moves.

I'll tell you, its not 1, which is what you said it should be with your statement.

Just out of curiosity, why not? I think myself to be math-saavvy, but I don't quite understand this. At any given point in 3-dimensional space, you have some compound probability P(X) to reach your origin, which is a product of P1, P2, P3 ... PN, where P1 is the probability that you will move from your current position to location 1, then from there to location 2, etc. where location N is your origin. Of course, these trajectories (and therefore, their corresponding probabilities) are dependent on your location, so every time you move, P(X) will change.

Actually, never mind. I just realized that I'm confusing probability for empirical likelihood. "1 out of 100"  != 1%. I understand now what you mean: although the number of attempts will increase the probability that you will arrive at your desired result, at infinity the probability that you will not still exists (though is infinitesimal).

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2012, 08:48:00 pm »
What do you mean reset? I mean, you start at point A and move from there, whats the probability you reach A after an infinite amount of moves.

I'll tell you, its not 1, which is what you said it should be with your statement.

Just out of curiosity, why not? I think myself to be math-saavvy, but I don't quite understand this. At any given point in 3-dimensional space, you have some compound probability P(X) to reach your origin, which is a product of P1, P2, P3 ... PN, where P1 is the probability that you will move from your current position to location 1, then from there to location 2, etc. where location N is your origin. Of course, these trajectories (and therefore, their corresponding probabilities) are dependent on your location, so every time you move, P(X) will change.

Actually, never mind. I just realized that I'm confusing probability for empirical likelihood. "1 out of 100"  != 1%. I understand now what you mean: although the number of attempts will increase the probability that you will arrive at your desired result, at infinity the probability that you will not still exists (though is infinitesimal).

Actually, the probability for reaching a starting point in 3d is about ~33% or so.

Lots of handwaving going on here, and it doesn't get across the complete idea (or even the true idea), but think about this. The further you get away from the origin, the less likely you'll ever get back and there are lots of ways to go. Basically, the P(x) is a convergent function. Indeed, with each move P(x) will change, and sometimes they will become infinitely small.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:08:34 pm by Smegma »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:00 am »
we do not know if the atoms in another part of the universe is built up in the same way or not. Infinite means that everything that is possible (not restricted to our scientific laws) has or will happen.
So ruling out the existence of warewolfs is very arrogant.
There is evidence suggesting that the laws of physics do not change as one moves through space. There is no evidence suggesting the other way around.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_principle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_Greatness#End_of_Greatness