Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-06-17) Weapon mod changes with usual refactoring.  (Read 9643 times)

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
Hello, community!

As Shoozza is still away, you'll continue to see devlog posted by random dev. This time it's me.
This week wasn't silent hopefully, most active was again skoskav. List of fixes he applied is quite long, so let me just list them:
  • usual refactoring
  • Modified cursor is now centered properly when cursor.bmp is another size than 16x16 (still needs to be in power-of-two)
  • Fixed cursor is resized smoothly when binked while using sniper line
  • Added BulletSpread WM attribute which controls bullet/pellet spread on Deagles and Spas, and base inaccuracy on other weapons
  • Fixed possible hit detection issue for Desert Eagles due to server slightly misrepresenting one bullet's horizontal speed
  • Added Push WM attribute which together with a bullet's velocity on impact decides how much it pushes the target
  • Modified spent bullet shells have a slight randomness in their velocity because Fry Fry thinks that looks cooler

Other than that... Shoozza commited some tweaks (wow, I thought he's away), mostly related to lobby list display (coloring even rows, graying custom gamemode servers and such). And some refactoring, obviously.
Fryer has been fixing the netcode (!), he has some idea how to decrease the amount of eats. Not sure what exactly he wants to change but it won't be a global netcode refactoring so set your expectations accordingly.
What comes to me I've commited some scriptcore refactoring. Not much though, but there's more to come.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper

• Fixed possible hit detection issue for Desert Eagles due to server slightly misrepresenting one bullet's horizontal speed

Fryer has been fixing the netcode (!), he has some idea how to decrease the amount of eats.

LOL WHAT GUD JOB

Offline some idiot with a gun

• Major(1)
This is all gobbedly gook to me..
You see that idiot running around with a M79? Yeah thats probably me..

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
First of all
* Clawbug hugs skoskav
Finally a dev who can get something done.

• Modified spent bullet shells have a slight randomness in their velocity because Fry Fry thinks that looks cooler

Does this also include player velocity added to the bullet shells? Also do they rotate nicely mid-air?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

13th_account

Does this also include player velocity added to the bullet shells? Also do they rotate nicely mid-air?

Argh no. Cool ideas though. I'll look into it.

Oh and...

* Modified cursor is now centered properly when cursor.bmp is another size than 16x16 (still needs to be in power-of-two)

I want to reiterate how long I've wanted this tweak. I've had a 32x32 pixels big cursor for half a decade that I couldn't use because it was off center. Now I can!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:17:41 am by 13th_account »

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
That awkward moment when soldat devs have more activity than the whole mapping section

Anyway... good job devs :)
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
he has some idea how to decrease the amount of eats
Sounds cool! :)

Anyway, good job devs and nive log, Falcon! :P

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Modified cursor is now centered properly when cursor.bmp is another size than 16x16 (still needs to be in power-of-two)
Very nice. There are several other places where this tweak could be applied - weapon gfx, bullet gfx, soldier bodyparts and such. This will make modding significantly easier, and will also bring us one step closer to making HD mods possible.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Very nice. There are several other places where this tweak could be applied - weapon gfx, bullet gfx, soldier bodyparts and such. This will make modding significantly easier, and will also bring us one step closer to making HD mods possible.
Indeed

The dot of the minimap too.
See: http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=221
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:51:09 pm by Bistoufly »

13th_account

Alright. File a bug ticket about what images aren't centered properly and someone will look at it eventually.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
Re: Devlog update (2012-06-17) Weapon mod changes with usual refactoring.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 02:45:27 pm »
Idea: How about Config.exe letting us determine the format of the screenshots? BMP is just taking up so much space, I'd like to have option for automatic PNG's.

Offline Arrow/Freeman

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:29 pm »
Idea: How about Config.exe letting us determine the format of the screenshots? BMP is just taking up so much space, I'd like to have option for automatic PNG's.

I like this idea  = )

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:12:34 pm »
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=1265.0

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »
Wow cool changes. Good work.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:13:05 am »
I already have SSConvertor.exe but have you ever tried to convert 700 pictures and then try to find some of these?
Why not have the feature built-in from the beginning to avoid all this mess?

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:11 am »
it converts and then deletes the original file... there's no difference except it's taking less space ;o ...

Offline SyavX

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:15 am »
Well, there is something closer to the functions that nosejj have requested (not just a batch conversion). But yeah, it would be really awesome to have an option of screenshot image output format in Soldat, without a need of use of external tools.
An optional additional information in screenshot names would be an another awesome plus to this function (see the link above).

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 04:08:56 am »
it converts and then deletes the original file... there's no difference except it's taking less space ;o ...
But why not have it automatically? decide in config whether its png/bmp..

13th_account

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 07:41:53 am »
Hmm... SyavX and nosejj, could you tell me why you still want the option to use BMP when PNG is available? I don't see why anyone would prefer it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:43:32 am by 13th_account »

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 07:47:20 am »
Hmm... SyavX and nosejj, could you tell me why you still want the option to use BMP when PNG is available? I don't see why anyone would prefer it.
PNG is as good as BMP quality-wise, though BMP takes much more space and time to upload screens.
And also, I'm guessing it's not to much work to make it so why not? :S

13th_account

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 07:53:23 am »
No I asked why you wanted to option to choose. If the game can do PNG then why would anyone want the option to save in shitty BMP?

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 08:06:26 am »
Because we may also consider adding support for JPEG, JPEG2000, TGA,  GIF or a bloody WMP (not sure if they ever released it), thus would be nice to make it as generic as possible.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 08:26:53 am »
I like the bullet thing :D also would like the vest in reallistic , cause we can add/remove it via "options".
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

13th_account

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55:49 am »
Because we may also consider adding support for JPEG, JPEG2000, TGA,  GIF or a bloody WMP (not sure if they ever released it), thus would be nice to make it as generic as possible.

Doesn't seem like something we should support if someone wants to save in obscure, lossy formats. We can save in a popular space-efficient lossless format that works with MS Paint and most software. If someone wants something more obscure they can use said tools.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:11 am »
I think that PNG is enough and all we really need...

But wish to see that picture hanging more informations in metadata like Caps, Players with their Kills and Deaths. Also IP of the server.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:33:12 am by machina »

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 11:40:15 am »
hotfix for the alt-tab bug would be awesome

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:45 pm »

Doesn't seem like something we should support if someone wants to save in obscure, lossy formats. We can save in a popular space-efficient lossless format that works with MS Paint and most software. If someone wants something more obscure they can use said tools.

Completely agree with this. It would be a shame to waste resources on a format choice when in reality nearly nobody needs that choice. Plus it just adds another weird option to the already cluttered soldat setup tool imo.

I guess I'd like it more if we could just get rid of that confusing setup program altogether and bring some of the essentials there to the in game menu (resolution / fullscreen / other options?).

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 01:17:45 pm »
Yay for weapon modding changes, or how about yay for modding changes.
If ScriptCore DrawText functionality isn't added by next version then I'll throw a knife at somebody.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 02:47:04 pm »
I don't understand your problem. DrawText is there for centuries.
Though for safety, I'll try to remember to remove the knife then.
- Andrew Lewis

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:02 am »
I gotta learn to stop making these posts at 2 AM.
I meant all those DrawText functions/parameters from script core v3, mainly the draw text ID.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 03:31:54 pm »
Any news incoming on the MSAC btw? We are really miserable without it already. :<

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 04:15:45 pm »
Mr never started working on it.. all he says is; soon done and he said that 5 months ago

13th_account

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 09:10:48 am »

Just noticed your post. Is the bug posted somewhere with more information?

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 12:47:55 pm »

Just noticed your post. Is the bug posted somewhere with more information?

0000236 @ mantis  ::)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 11:20:05 pm »
I think it's not worth the time. Replacing BMP with PNG is enough.
Maybe also replace all BMP files with PNG if that doesn't affect load times too much.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod