Author Topic: FANS Of METAL GEAR SOLID: MGS Themed Soldat, Multiplayer via Web Browser.[help]  (Read 2130 times)

Offline olivestab

• Major(1)
As the title says, Would this be possible?
I Run a forum site called Metal Gear Solid Universe( mgsuniverse.com ), a fan site/ discussion bard for the Metal Gear Solid Saga.

Recently, "Metal Gear Online" (metal gear solid 4's online multiplayer version of the game) closed it's servers this month after 4 years.
Many players are saddened by this, but rather than moving on, I attempted to create a small version of Metal Gear Online,
an advanced 2D platform shooter, with High -Res 8-bit graphics, and Metal Gear Solid Themed PMC characters, sounds, and maps.

When deciding on a style of controls and feel, I thought about soldat.
I wanted to create a game with soldat's physics, but more grounded mechanics,
i.e. no characters flying around like mayhem, the feeling of sliding on ice when walking.

I am not a programmer, and this is all overwhelming for me so it will take a long time to create (using unity, parallax, and 2d tool kits.)
So i thought, in the mean time, what If i could modify a version of Soldat?

Basiclly, I want to make a separate version exclusive for MGSU.
If possible, would it be easier to use a full download, or make it playable In the browser?
I want to create my own maps. (from MGO)
and my own weapons. (copy aspects from MGO aswell)

and have a complete separate Soldat/MGO server.

Is any of this possible?
I basically want to clone a small portion of soldat onto my site, and upload my own maps and weapons into the game,
so it can be a small soldat game, Metal Gear Solid Theme only.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:20:44 am by olivestab »

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
if you're gonna clone soldat no one's gonna play

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
I think you don't really know what are you saying...

First at all, you should have known that game in web and in Windows is quite different thing. YOU will not be able to export it without any good skills. Also, why would devs enjoy giving you the code of Soldat if it was so fucking hard to write it?

I think you should abandon this idea and make something more productive.

Offline olivestab

• Major(1)
Yeah first timer here! I really love the welcoming response from the Soldat community, I have much to look forward to!

The game is exclusive for a MGS community.
Im making this for a select group of people who are waiting, so it will be played.

All I simply asked was if it is possible to play the game via browser.
As far as skills go and methods, that doesn't matter right now, I just want to know if its possible.

I see so many mods and programs to completely change soldats interface,
POA, FistBox, Mod Starter.
It seems to me that you can basiclly re-create a whole game based off soldat, and i want to do this for my community.
It will be free of course, Its just an idea I had to help bring more users to my site, wile keeping the Metal Gear Online flame going until the next game.
(because the servers just closed)

I simply want to create a very small scale of soldat; Metal Gear Mini.
I want the game to include the following:

-Simple Main menu where players can change control and graphic options.
-Option to play online or practice with bots. 
-(For Online Play)The Lobby where players can create games or join others based off the maps/mods/wepons I make available.
-I want the lobby, game interface, already connected to my own server.
i.e., I want players to simply turn on the game and start playing, without having to deal with any finicky IP adress crap.   
EDIT:
Just a hole complete package, But standalone from the world, so only players from my site will only see activity from others within the MGSU community.

Would this be possible via playing through a web browser?
Or would you recommend creating an install package to play from computer?

Don't bother asking about skills, we just need to know if this would be possible.
We don't need any opinions regarding who will play it,
because we already have a dedicated fan base waiting for a game.

-Thank you

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:03:23 am by olivestab »

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
soldat is not open source, so you will not have any access to the game physics, or anything except those few moddable features, most of them being graphics
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

13th_account

Not technically possible and not legal. You're better off creating a new game from scratch. Best of luck. =)

Offline olivestab

• Major(1)
soldat is not open source, so you will not have any access to the game physics, or anything except those few moddable features, most of them being graphics

I like how the game runs, I dont want to change it completley,
I really just want to re-package the game with a simple menue interface, automatically connected to my own server.
 Creating my own Maps and guns Is what i really plan on doing.
I want to recreate small maps from the real metal gear game, and copy all the wepons people could use.

I guess the biggest thing is making it a complete package, server conection and all. (i have the recourse to do so)
I want to make it easy for people to play, just as easy as it is to play an online ps3 game or something.   

Offline olivestab

• Major(1)
Not technically possible and not legal. You're better off creating a new game from scratch. Best of luck. =)

Would there be legal issues for simply uploading a small version of soldat?
Credit would be where credit is due of course.

No sense in pushing this any further, Ive gotten an answer from an actual developer. 
Darn what a bummer, i was really having high hopes for this project.
Creating a game from scratch was the original idea,
but that would take a long time, and we really wanted something to put on the table Now until a complete build is created.