Author Topic: Greenlight  (Read 15757 times)

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
Greenlight
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »
1. Submit Soldat and KAG to http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/ when it goes live
2. Get people to vote
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Greenlight
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »
........that's a good point. Why isn't Soldat still on Steam?

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:56:39 pm »
Ah that reminds me...
I will talk to MM.

Have to find out whats the advantages and disadvantages.
I guess you want soldat on steam because you believe more people will notice it - are there other reasons?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »
Other reasons:
- More convenient if you have many other games on Steam.
- Ability to join servers where your Steam friends are currently playing.
- Achievements can be added at some point.
- Easier updating?

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »
We will write a new updater which works like KAG so it should be as easy as it can get.

Soldat is on Desura already. I wonder how steam and compare. There might have been a reason why MM added Soldat there but not on Steam.
Rules

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:40:10 pm »
If I remember correctly, I think he tried and steam just wouldn't accept the game (I could be wrong on this). But it sounds like with Steams new "Greenlight" initiative, the decision is left to the voters.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »
with the next release and steam greenlight :3 ... maybe there's hope for soldat after all ^^

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:21:18 pm »
If I remember correctly, I think he tried and steam just wouldn't accept the game (I could be wrong on this). But it sounds like with Steams new "Greenlight" initiative, the decision is left to the voters.
I talked to MM and he told me that he tried it 2 times but they wouldn't accept it.

Told him to add it to greenlight once it's out. Not sure if he will do it though.

with the next release and steam greenlight :3 ... maybe there's hope for soldat after all ^^
Soldat relies to much on drama stories, there is always hope because there are people working on the game ;P
Rules

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »
well, the eats is the biggest issue, I think that's why many just drop the game.
Next version supposedly has fixed some of it ;O

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:05:45 pm »
well, the eats is the biggest issue, I think that's why many just drop the game.
Next version supposedly has fixed some of it ;O
That but i think mainly graphics (Soldat looks "dated").
Rules

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31:10 am »
That but i think mainly graphics (Soldat looks "dated").

eh it looks pretty amazing under some of VirtualTT's maps and Espie's mods. I think it looks dated when played on maps from 2002 covered in bmp sceneries made in jasc paint shop pro
There are other worlds than these

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 06:30:20 am »
To the devs, greenlight is estimated to launch in early august, by that time a new less eaty version is a MUST. Together with this, having a SCTFL season being run at the same time will make the game look more alive than during it's off season.
Both greenlight and SCTFL will be starting around the same time, holding off the release isn't an option...

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 08:34:10 am »
To the devs, greenlight is estimated to launch in early august, by that time a new less eaty version is a MUST. Together with this, having a SCTFL season being run at the same time will make the game look more alive than during it's off season.
Both greenlight and SCTFL will be starting around the same time, holding off the release isn't an option...
There will be a release this year.
But I wont go into crunch mode just to release a new version with last minute bugs.
Like I wrote already I want a better autoupdater for Soldat in the next release so that releasing often is less complicated.
Rules

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:08:06 am »
well, if you're going to hold back the release untill after SCTFL, you might want to wait with greenlight till next SCTFL.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »
What does SCTFL have to do with this at all? Your average new players will NOT participate in any form of clan scene activity for a long time - they don't even know what SCTFL is, what IRC is or heck, what a CLAN is! Look at the public servers, do you see any players with any kind of clan tag who are not active clan scene players? Nope. Why? Because they don't play in publics and because players on public servers don't even understand the concept of clanwars let alone competitive leagues like SCTFL. I've tried talking with many players, tried to invite them over to the competitive scene, tried to find out why nobody cares about clans and so on.

There's a simple reason why people abandon this game, because it sucks in so many ways - the visual ones(GUI and graphics) definitely not being the least problematic.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:31 pm »

The website says it will start around the end of August.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 12:40:06 am »
The problematic part is the netcode and the poor weapon balance.

People look up games before they start playing them, if the game has no clan scene or doesn't have any competitive aspects, nobody would pick them out.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 05:11:13 am »
The problematic part is the netcode and the poor weapon balance.

People look up games before they start playing them, if the game has no clan scene or doesn't have any competitive aspects, nobody would pick them out.

Most people don't just "start playing" a game. They don't dedicate themselves to it at all unless they like it. And that requires:

1) the player actually plays the game(instead of just ignoring it after seeing the horribad 90's visuals - 640x480 native resolution WHAT THE FUCK, very ugly and non-user friendly GUI from 90's WTF)

2) the player actually enjoys the game and thinks it has future potential - nobody wants to play a game which is "dying", as in, it's not being maintained(new versions come out every few years as it has been a norm with Soldat).

Nobody wants to play a game which has no active player base, for which you can't find servers with players in it. This is a real problem for Soldat, because you can't even play it without other players! These days there are only a handful of certain servers which have players on them, the rest sit empty for days if not for weeks.

Netcode and especially weapon balance are not big problems, they don't keep people from actually liking the game, unlike horribad visuals(which tells them "This game is crap LOL!") and lack of perceived future potential("This game is 10 years old and has no players LOL!"). Netcode and weapon balance become problematic only after the player perceives them as probems which takes them enough time to actually figure out if they even like the game in the first place or not.

Also, how would a casual newbie find about clan scene when it's not present in public servers at all? There are no clan players in public servers - even your usual "msn/xfire/skype" clans are gone. Public players don't give a fuck about clans these days. There is no "clan scene" in publics anymore! This too is a horrible sign about the state of the game - people don't know or don't care about clans at all. How would such players get into SCTFL?

The reason amount of participating clans has been on a decline in SCTFL is that old people quit and there aren't enough new people to fill the void. For example the latest SCTFL 20 had some 73 topics in "signups" section of the forum, while for SCTFL 18(summer 2011) this was 99, for SCTFL 16(summer 2010) this was 126, and for SCTFL 12(summer 2008) this was 170. So, in essence, the amount of participating clans in SCTFL has more than halved in 4 years and has been on a strong decline ever since 2008.

Back in 2005-2006 while I was still active participant in SCTFL games, there were some 70-80 participating clans. For example in SCTFL 7(late 2005), there was only 24 participating clans. SCTFL 8 only had 79 signups(if I counted the threads correctly from here).

So, 2006 -> 2008, from 79 signups to +150 signups. How? There's a clear and sure reason for this. Any clues? It was because of the actual marketing effort put in by the community for the new Soldat 1.4. You can look at the forum stats and see for yourself how in April 2007(when 1.4 was released) there was a huge peak in users online, new people registering, new topics opened and new posts made. That was the real turning point fo Soldat which essentially doubled if not tripled the player base compared to what it was in 2005-2006. That was Soldat's prime time.

What helped alot was 1.4.1 and then 1.4.2 following. What messed things up was 1.4.2 with it's many bugs and broken maps(e.g. the red side of ctf_Nuubia had a buggy poly which made all the objects and players jump around, you couldn't stand still or run) - which were fixed by the beta team in less than 48 hours after the release of 1.4.2. MM announced 1.4.3, but it never became reality and EnEsCe took over, wanted to make 1.5 and made the players play with nearly unplayable maps for some 22 months!

So, back to the facts - the numbers. In 2007 there were some a bit less than 6200 new members on this forum. In 2008+2009+2010 there were some 6400 new members. How about 2011 and first half of 2012? Less than 750 new members. This is fucking pathteic, don't you think? In essence this means that Soldat's growth rate has dropped to less than 15 % for the past 2 years, of what it used to be in 2007 as  a whole year! If we don't forget the fact that after 1.4, there was only 8 months(May-Dec) for growth, the growth rate has dropped to less than 7 % of what it used to be in early summer of 2007!

So, why did things go wrong after 1.4? First, MM stopped development. EnEsCe took over. As we know by now, it was a mistake and only lead Soldat towards it's ruin. Then MM had to take an action, handed development over to Shoozza and the rest of the team. They have been working on Soldat for the past 18 months. What has happened? What has changed since EnEsCe messed things up by horrible leadership and care for the game? Nothing. A few new versions have been more than welcome, but the focus is on wrong parts. Shoozza(while being a great person, mind you!) talks about compilers, refactoring, new IDE, Linux support, Mac support, moving to OpenGL, yadda yadda yadda. Who gives a fuck? Not  a single player at least! Preparing for the future? Future is now, not after half a decade!

Problems:
- People think Soldat is dead! They see no future for the game - they don't dedicate for the game. They aren't excited at all.
- New people look at the game, it looks like shit and even more so when streched to their 16:9 HD-resolution. Many give up.
- Some players play the game on their Windows Vista/7 computers. While the game is 10 years old, it runs SLOW! FPS less than 20 on a modern laptop? Fucking bullshit game. To make the game run correctly, they need to google for solution, or visit this forum, and then finally enable the compatibility mode + other settings from Windows. The player has to fix the game because the game is broken as it is! Honestly, do you buy a car just to find it has two flat tires and then fix it so that you can drive it? No fucking way. You find something better.
- Even if everything goes well, it's hard to find players to play with. Loads of empty servers everywhere, nobody playing the game around you. Need to play on servers in other continents.

Fixes:
- Get rid of the 640 x 480 resolution altogether! Make either 16:10 or 16:9 native resolution, preferrably 16:9 Full HD. Yes. 16:10 is better, but it has phased out. "Nobody" uses it now or in the future.
- Better GUI and server browser, focus on simplicity, intuitivity and ease of use. Integrate Soldat Config to the game itself, or the Soldat GUI to a standalone program which launches the game.
- Fix all the small annoyances
- Make a marketing stunt! Reddit, gaming forums, friends, everyone. Spam them! Not only once, but constantly. Bad rep? Fuck that, any publicity is good publicity!

Is it really that hard? Stop fucking dicking around and do something which matters for new players! Be beautiful! Attract them! Be reliable and provide them a promise of a better future! Show them that Soldat is not dead!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:30:43 am by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:56 am »
When you look up a new game, you should always (and I assume most people do) look if there's a clan scene. For soldat it's pretty easy to find SCTFL, not sure how easy it is to find anything on youtube nor twitch.tv though.
This is why soldat has to postpone it's greenlight appearance till SCTFL starts, then there'll be activity in the SCTFL forums, and I and maybe more people will stream on twitch.tv too.

If soldat makes it to steam, somebody (maybe devs) could persuade totalbiscuit and ask him for a "WTFree" episode of soldat.

Putting soldat up on greenlight during SCTFL downtime would ruin it's chances, as people would notice that the game seems to be dead. Even if it becomes more alive during SCTFL, nobody will care about giving it a 2nd look. That is why it's so important to launch it to greenlight when there is activity.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:32:31 am »
Do you not realize that players begin playing on publics, and that most players are not interested in competitive gaming? What is twitch.tv? What is this totalbiscuit? WTFree? Never heard, never cared for, and I believe that is the case for 99 % of Soldat players anyway. Nobody cares.

Of course, outreach is always good, and doing such outreach when the game isn't at it's activity peak would be stupid. However, I think you are greatly overestimating the importance of competitive scene for the survival of the game - people would still play on publics even if all the competitive activity ceased, and people would still play competitively if all the public players went down. However, here's the important bit, if the public servers went down, there would be no new players and as such the competitive scene would die out because of no new blood replacing the oldies quitting because of school, girlfriend, work, kids, ....

What is the absolute first things you observe about a new game? Screenshots. Looks. How does Soldat fare on this regard? It fucking sucks!
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 10:42:09 am »
I guess you're just one of those kids born in 2000, otherwise you're just... to be blunt, borderline retarded.
If you don't know who totalbiscuit is, and not even what twitch.tv is, I have no fucking idea where you've been hiding. Have you ever visited another place than soldatforums?

So, where are you suggesting we should magically pull out those public players? they're gone, and they're not comming back. No good player would want to bother joining a public, because it's just as boring as writing an essay.
The only thing we can do is to make sure the competitive scene is active.

The absolute first thing I look up when I find a new title is to figure out if there's a competitive scene, otherwise I'll not even bother trying it. Publics in any game is seriously fucking boring, if you want to play public all your life you should probably play some of the new CoD titles, where there's 0 competition, and all the shiny graphics you want.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 11:02:15 am »
Why is playng on publics as boring as writing an essay, and who says it's boring? ;) What does player's skill have to do with it anyway? I for one enjoy dominating DM servers.

You do understand that only a very small fraction of people here or especially people in general give a damn about something what twitch.tv and totalbiscuit are? A drop in the ocean, when it comes to the amount of people using Internet on a daily basis. You get this, right?

You sincerely believe that your average new player looks if there's a competitive scene? Like really? I've been playing more on publics than on competitive scene for the past year because I simply enjoy it more, it suits better with my life(I can play whenever I wish, I am not bound by "match deadlines" or anything. Mind you, I'm a working person with other hobbies too. ;)). There's definitely demand for high quality casual games even for Soldat, since most people are not interested in competitive gaming. And while I personally understand the importance of competitive scene(being an "ex" competitive Soldat player myself, mind you), I think it does not play crucial role when it comes to actually getting Soldat growing again. It is not among the main attractors.

I guess things are greatly different over here in Europe than over there in the States, too. The European scene is much more fragmented due to language and cultural barriers, there's no single central place for anything, and most people just stick to their own small country-specific communities(if they even exist!). I think this would be a great way for an outreach in Europe - create some country/area specific communities and promote them, while promoting the game. This worked pretty well for us Finns with SoldatFinland back in 2006-2008(?), it brought in lots of new players and an actual central place to hang out in with fellow Soldateers (IRC and Forums). There are some others currently being active(Soldatnordic? Selfkill?), but as with everything else, they're dying off.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:05:25 am by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:38 am »
just fyi, competitive gaming is way bigger in EU than in USA.
totalbiscuit has 735,914 subscribers and 270,346,600 video views on youtube (atm), and twich.tv has roughly 100-150k viewers watching streams at any given time.

Publics is boring because the fun game play element aren't there - teamwork and tactics.

If a player drops soldat just because of graphics... then so be it, the graphics won't change in a long time, if ever.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »
just fyi, competitive gaming is way bigger in EU than in USA.
totalbiscuit has 735,914 subscribers and 270,346,600 video views on youtube (atm), and twich.tv has roughly 100-150k viewers watching streams at any given time.
Even so, the Euro scene is usually way more fragmented and reliant on local smaller communities, I firmly believe this could be used as a great way for Soldat outreach - to create smaller local country-specific communities which provide servers, IRC channels, forums and so on for their members.

Publics is boring because the fun game play element aren't there - teamwork and tactics.
This is only your own personal opinion, not an universal fact, hence why you shouldn't state it as such. For the record, I personally prefer playing Deathmatch more than CTF as it frees me from being reliant on my team, or being responsible for my own team. Although I too enjoy the teamwork and tactics elements, I prefer playing alt route(a concept the new players don't even understand these days in Soldat, ha ha ha! :().

If a player drops soldat just because of graphics... then so be it, the graphics won't change in a long time, if ever.
Why are you against the idea of improving the game visuals? Don't you think the native resolution of 640x480 should really be changed to something more modern, along with GUI refresh for more usable one? Don't you think such updates alone would make Soldat much more appealing to casual public players and thus promote Soldat for others?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 02:18:45 pm »
Soldat is x480, there's 16:9 and 16:10 options available, increasing it does not seem like a high priority for the devs. I personally don't see a problem with the GUI... it has everything you need, while not being butt-ugly.
Visuals would probably make the game more appealing, but the graphics just won't change in a long time.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »
Visuals would probably make the game more appealing, but the graphics just won't change in a long time.
What makes you believe so? At the simplest, it would require scaling the graphics up and then fine tuning them as needed. The code changes are less trivial, but at simplest it would require changing a single line of code - if things would be done well, which they certaily aren't. In the past, it has been argued that problem with changing the native resolution has been the fact that all graphics would need to be redone and as such it would be too much effort. Such claim is utter bullshit, we have dozens of modders who would do such stuff voluntarily. As I mentioned, at simplest it would be about upscale and fine tuning.

GUI has lots of problems, for example the server browser(the most important tab) could really benefit from being redone and having a higher resolution.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »
This stuff is getting more and more offtopic. I wouldn't mind if you could continue in a new thread with your "who is right topic" and keep this stuff here Steam related.

That said: Thanks Clawbug for the info there is some truth to it. If you want we can discuss what Soldat's current Goals should be, make a thread and I'll join.

To stay Steam related:
I will try to get Soldat on Steam but let's see how the first games will do first and add Soldat when the next version is out.
Rules

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »
This discussion didn't drift off-topic, it was always about steam greenlight and what goals should be achieved before the game is submitted.

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »
Soo are you guys gonna submit to greenlight?

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 06:21:20 pm »
It hasn't launched yet.

And by the way, Steam is allowing devs to submit game concepts. That's right, games that don't even exist yet. I don't think Soldat has anything to worry about.

Can I post my game concept or early builds?

Absolutely! We encourage you to post information about your game as early in the development process as you are comfortable with. Greenlight will let you define whether you are posting your game as a concept/early build or as a playable game that is nearing completion.

We ask that you only define your game as 'playable game' if you have a playable build that demonstrates the gameplay mechanics and at least one level of your game. Otherwise, please classify your submission as 'concept' until its far enough along that the community can reasonably evaluate the mechanics, scope, and style of your game. Either way, you will probably get great feedback and a good start in building a community of fans around your game.

Also, it doesn't matter when Soldat is submitted
What happens if my game never gets accepted?

Your game will remain on Greenlight unless you decide to take it down.

What if I don't want to announce my game early but I still want to be on Steam?

Once a game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, it doesn't take long to get it launched on Steam, so feel free to hold off on posting to Greenlight until you're ready to announce.

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »
Well I mean it's launching in the next threee days I was just asking if they INTEND to submit it

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50:41 pm »
Posting too early, especially when it comes to an old and dying game could be fatal. I think shoozza is smart enough to hold off the soldats submission till after the auto-updater is implemented.

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
  • Scripting beginner, mapper&owner of BCB servers.
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 11:23:10 pm »
Make soldat finally a "bugfree" game, also in the mod "Special Operations 2" it allows you to choice for Alpha and Bravo different gostek types and you can choose them on start of Soldat.
Same mod, it allows you to choose between 2-3 diffent weapons each default weapon, which is fun and just awesome^^

For myself, i think i would've stoped soldat since years, if it wouldnt have so much stuff i can change always for my likes^^
But like clawbug sayd, the game is broken you need to research alot in forums to make it run (on new pc etc) and the same counts for the mods, theres dozens of cool ones in this forum, but most player dont know about it and also dont know how to install corectly or whatever.

Like in KAG, you got as registred user big customization ability, i think that could make soldat more atractive again, also if then finaly after a polished soldat version a big advertising would start (also then could soldat get added to steam maybe), i think the playerbase could be increased alot, i think that do alot people here think too, else i couldnt understand how so much people still would play/work for the game.

Also, i dont mean this customization right now serverside (it means just your own soldat look for you personally to customize)

Sooo, will this happen?
And maybe maybe once all the customization serverside, like it was planed for LD, customizable soldiers would just be awesome^^

Sorry for my bad english and its propably a little offtopic^^

BCB-Clan Page
You also can find clan BCB on our servers.

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 05:21:45 am »
one thing you could do to improve on the datedness is rework the default interface if that's bothering you

also, the weapon balance is just fine ginn can go fuck himself if he's too shitbad to learn to play against spas and ruger

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 11:37:20 am »
Idk why the fuck you're all suddenly saying soldat is broken. I played soldat for over 8 years now and I sure as hell never thought it was broken obviously the biggest current issue is an anti-cheat which we desperately need. And the auto updater would make things a lot easier for the devs apprently so that'd  be nice for fixing bugs faster but its an old game it isnt fucking broken.

Look at some of these games they're crazy and this is the front page!

In my personal opinion I think soldat has a much better chance of getting voted in before Octodad or The Legeng of Knightwasher...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:42:24 am by Falcon12 »

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »
well, i for myself meaned that broken like this, it isnt broken like you cant play, but its still not finish!

Also, just today when we played on zabijaka's teammatch server, i've eaten (without any server or player lags, server and player ~50 ping) 3 m79 bullets in a row... i remember eats ever existed, but i've never seen that much eats in soldat before  :o

still, i play the game allday/night long, its still a awesome game but it has STILL some annoying bugs sometimes.

Soldat forever !  ;)
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »
Posting too early, especially when it comes to an old and dying game could be fatal. I think shoozza is smart enough to hold off the soldats submission till after the auto-updater is implemented.

Did you not see my post? Seriously? It does not matter when Soldat is posted. At all.

This is from Steam:

What happens if my game never gets accepted?
Your game will remain on Greenlight unless you decide to take it down.

edit: lawl got rid of the screenshot.

So how exactly would it be fatal? All we need is to get people to vote for it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:14:53 pm by RafiPZ »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 10:56:53 pm »
people generally don't look twice. If the game is broken the first time they look at it, they won't ever try it again, even if it's fixed later on.

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 12:53:40 am »
Broken is just not the correct word. Broken implies that it doesn't work and clearly soldat does.

There is one HUGE glaring issue of the anti-cheat

And soldat has fewer eats then I've ever seen and they're just part of the game, of all online multiplayer games its called the internet

I'm all for holding off submission until we can prevent people from cheating by just googling, but other than that I personally see no other reason. Steam makes it quite clear that you don't get turned down you just don't get voted in. In other words it's not a pass fail test.

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:52 am »

Falcon12 - "And soldat has fewer eats then I've ever seen and they're just part of the game, of all online multiplayer games its called the internet"

WAIT, FEWER? that means you say it has lesser eats?
You didnt play 1.6.3.... sorry, if you say that, you clearly didnt.

Also, tell me in which game you can survive 3 direct m79 hits?

Sorry, but the eat's have become annoying this soldat version... im just here to say that, so that this once gets fixed.

BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Kaze

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • Arc-En-CieL
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 09:25:55 am »
I've read a few posts and all i can say is eats don't make a game ''broken'' as some of you guys said , it sometimes even makes it funnier e.g : you get the enemy's flag , a guy m79's you , it makes you bounce and you get away of their base haha.. Sure eats can sometimes be annoying but you guys gotta admit that you get good laughs from them sometimes as well.Besides the devs are currently working on rewriting the netcode and if Greenlight is a positive asset for soldat then why not do it! I also wanted to point out that it's funny how some of you call this game "broken" but can't stop playing it :p

DarkCrusade

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 01:25:54 pm »
Of course eating can be annoying, but it also takes away some seriousness which makes Soldat a more easy-going shooter which is exactly why I prefered it over other games.

Offline Kaze

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • Arc-En-CieL
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 01:44:48 pm »
Of course eating can be annoying, but it also takes away some seriousness which makes Soldat a more easy-going shooter which is exactly why I prefered it over other games.

If only more people could think like you.The only time i got bothered by eats was during SCTFL where those eats decided the game apart from that , i don't think its that much of a problem (in public servers , cws , fcws etc..) as far as calling this game "Broken".

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 02:32:39 pm »
basicly it is a problem.... you guys are right, the game isnt broken... but such things make people leave games, some cant stay cool and say, ok... another time it happens to the enemy propably... thats just not how all player think, so just fix that thing o.o
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 03:26:15 pm »
Sadly the netcode will stay a problem for some time... as we will not fix it for the next release (would delay the release a lot).

As for Greenlight: I will talk to MM and see what he says. I think he is the only one who can put it on Greenlight (ramirez tried it already).
Rules

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 04:34:35 pm »
Sadly the netcode will stay a problem for some time... as we will not fix it for the next release (would delay the release a lot).

As for Greenlight: I will talk to MM and see what he says. I think he is the only one who can put it on Greenlight (ramirez tried it already).

Just dont let it go forgotten ^.^
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »
I'm getting frequent reminders via PM and the form posts so no issue there ;)
Rules

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 04:57:48 pm »
I'm getting frequent reminders via PM and the form posts so no issue there ;)

ahh, good others poke you alot, so i wont have to do that XD
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »

Falcon12 - "And soldat has fewer eats then I've ever seen and they're just part of the game, of all online multiplayer games its called the internet"

WAIT, FEWER? that means you say it has lesser eats?
You didnt play 1.6.3.... sorry, if you say that, you clearly didnt.

Also, tell me in which game you can survive 3 direct m79 hits?

Sorry, but the eat's have become annoying this soldat version... im just here to say that, so that this once gets fixed.

I've defintly played 1.6.3 and its not like eats make you better or worse at the game if they're eating your shots then you bet your ass you're eating their shots. The best players will still win it's a consistency game, and people play to win.

Eats are no serious problem we used to have a much larger community with just as many eats in the game. The point I'm trying to make is that eats aren't the reason soldat is dieing there's bigger fish to fry for now.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 01:28:20 am »
Right. Soldat lacks visual "up-to-dateness" to make it appeal to the younger generation. The gameplay has been tweaked and tweaked and is not prior. At least not prior to a better interface and gui.

That's just my 2 cents, though.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:15 am »
Ok so I had little time to talk with MM.

He wants a few enhancements to be added before Soldat goes on steam.

This also means it will not get added to greenlight until the next release (if we manage to add all of them)...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:31:01 am by Shoozza »
Rules

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 09:31:15 am »
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »
smells like hats are inc...

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:13 am »
Just as a heads up... Steam has added a $100 fee to submit a game :|

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 02:09:42 pm »
good thing shoozza posted soldat already....

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »
you sure?

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 03:56:16 pm »
you sure?
Didn't post it :/ I asked MM if he could add it but he wanted a some more stuff to be changed so it wasn't added...
Rules

Offline Adam

• Camper
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 04:29:05 pm »
you sure?
Didn't post it :/ I asked MM if he could add it but he wanted a some more stuff to be changed so it wasn't added...
another chance ruined  :) thanks.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 11:46:10 pm »

Shouldn't be a big deal - I'm sure a few people in the community (myself included) would be willing to submit enough cash to get to $100. Paypal makes it easy enough to shove money around

DarkCrusade

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 01:17:36 am »
another chance ruined  :) thanks.

Wow, you are quite a bitch.

Didn't post it :/ I asked MM if he could add it but he wanted some more stuff to be changed so it wasn't added...

The master has spoken. Get to work! :P

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2012, 07:31:23 pm »
Shouldn't be a big deal - I'm sure a few people in the community (myself included) would be willing to submit enough cash to get to $100.
Yep. :)
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline Madow

• Major
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 08:59:49 pm »
you sure?

Good choice, as great as Soldat is, it is definitely not in a presentably desirable state. It's good that MM shows concern for this.
[20:33:20] <DMC__> hes basiclly saying
[20:33:56] <DMC__> "hi there, this game has no garenteee that there is people to play with, nor is it well known, but please give me 15 bucks, you fool"

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »

Shouldn't be a big deal - I'm sure a few people in the community (myself included) would be willing to submit enough cash to get to $100. Paypal makes it easy enough to shove money around

could definitely chip in

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 07:20:57 pm »

could definitely chip in

If I knew with absolute certainty the $100 was going somewhere useful, I'd most likely just pitch in the full $100 if no one else is willing to do the same.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 07:49:10 pm »
If MM adds KAG or another game to Steam he'll pay the 100$ already. So I don't think it's an issue.
Soldat just needs polish.
Rules

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2012, 03:54:24 am »
If MM adds KAG or another game to Steam he'll pay the 100$ already. So I don't think it's an issue.
Soldat just needs polish.

Polish it hard man! :)
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2012, 03:40:49 pm »
I thought that Soldat IS Polish ;P
Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+

Offline Majoman

• Major(1)
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 06:05:34 pm »
Well?

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 06:48:35 pm »
should've happened long ago. perhaps a bit too late now

Offline Majoman

• Major(1)
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:37 pm »
should've happened long ago. perhaps a bit too late now
Ofc it would've been better before, but what makes you think it's too late now? I can't see how gettin' it on Greenlight would be pointless no matter if it would've been better earlier or not, just get it in there finally and we'll see what happens ;)

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:37 am »
Any news Shoozza? :)

Edit: after seeing the large amount of support from the community both here and in SCTFL boards. I sent MM an e-mail concerning this matter.

[/size]Dear MM,[size=78%][/b][/font]About ten years ago, my life as a kid changed, because I played a game that I still play right now in the age of 23.I didn't see myself playing any video-games when I'm 23 and here I am loving this thing and willing to waste my precious time for it in many aspects.Like me there are many others, and as you probably know, Soldat's community has been struggling lately, an old game with still faithful competative community. Alongside a lot of hackers within time and phases that we all did not want to see the game going through.Examples of 'dead community/game' topics:
[/list]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:09:59 am by nosejj »

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2014, 03:26:32 am »
Don't forget that Valve is planning to shutdown Greenlight, as I stated earlier.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »
They are not going to shut it down entirely, they're replacing it with a system that suits Soldat better.

Offline Irlandec

• Soldier
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2014, 03:38:33 am »
They are not going to shut it down entirely, they're replacing it with a system that suits Soldat better.
I've heard that this will offer some sort of monthly fee or nice big percentage for Valve from each sold game/product.
But anyway, hoping for the best.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2014, 12:47:56 am »
There will be major changes in 1.7 (at least thats whats planned).
We have to see what happens when valve replaces greenlight.
We will polish soldat a lot. The main issue is that people have a hard time to play it on new pcs. You just cannot expect soldat getting greenlight when it's not working nicely.
Rules

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2014, 10:50:35 am »
Wise decision. Propose a polished game to Greenlight.
There is no point in rushing things.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2014, 11:31:33 am »
What about Desura by the way? Couldn' that be an alternative ?
Link-Dead was on Desure when the game wasn't even close to be done.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2014, 01:35:15 pm »
Or alternatively, it could be released on Early Access at one point.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2014, 02:13:56 pm »
What about Desura by the way? Couldn' that be an alternative ?
Link-Dead was on Desure when the game wasn't even close to be done.
Soldat is on desura already.
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2014, 05:45:19 pm »
Could http://www.gog.com/indie be a site to explore?

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2014, 06:05:40 pm »
I know gog but I'm currently not focusing on getting soldat on more sites. Not until we get it to work properly on windows again.
Rules