Author Topic: Greenlight  (Read 15901 times)

Offline ginn

• Camper
Re: Greenlight
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 10:42:09 am »
I guess you're just one of those kids born in 2000, otherwise you're just... to be blunt, borderline retarded.
If you don't know who totalbiscuit is, and not even what twitch.tv is, I have no fucking idea where you've been hiding. Have you ever visited another place than soldatforums?

So, where are you suggesting we should magically pull out those public players? they're gone, and they're not comming back. No good player would want to bother joining a public, because it's just as boring as writing an essay.
The only thing we can do is to make sure the competitive scene is active.

The absolute first thing I look up when I find a new title is to figure out if there's a competitive scene, otherwise I'll not even bother trying it. Publics in any game is seriously fucking boring, if you want to play public all your life you should probably play some of the new CoD titles, where there's 0 competition, and all the shiny graphics you want.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 11:02:15 am »
Why is playng on publics as boring as writing an essay, and who says it's boring? ;) What does player's skill have to do with it anyway? I for one enjoy dominating DM servers.

You do understand that only a very small fraction of people here or especially people in general give a damn about something what twitch.tv and totalbiscuit are? A drop in the ocean, when it comes to the amount of people using Internet on a daily basis. You get this, right?

You sincerely believe that your average new player looks if there's a competitive scene? Like really? I've been playing more on publics than on competitive scene for the past year because I simply enjoy it more, it suits better with my life(I can play whenever I wish, I am not bound by "match deadlines" or anything. Mind you, I'm a working person with other hobbies too. ;)). There's definitely demand for high quality casual games even for Soldat, since most people are not interested in competitive gaming. And while I personally understand the importance of competitive scene(being an "ex" competitive Soldat player myself, mind you), I think it does not play crucial role when it comes to actually getting Soldat growing again. It is not among the main attractors.

I guess things are greatly different over here in Europe than over there in the States, too. The European scene is much more fragmented due to language and cultural barriers, there's no single central place for anything, and most people just stick to their own small country-specific communities(if they even exist!). I think this would be a great way for an outreach in Europe - create some country/area specific communities and promote them, while promoting the game. This worked pretty well for us Finns with SoldatFinland back in 2006-2008(?), it brought in lots of new players and an actual central place to hang out in with fellow Soldateers (IRC and Forums). There are some others currently being active(Soldatnordic? Selfkill?), but as with everything else, they're dying off.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:05:25 am by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:58:38 am »
just fyi, competitive gaming is way bigger in EU than in USA.
totalbiscuit has 735,914 subscribers and 270,346,600 video views on youtube (atm), and twich.tv has roughly 100-150k viewers watching streams at any given time.

Publics is boring because the fun game play element aren't there - teamwork and tactics.

If a player drops soldat just because of graphics... then so be it, the graphics won't change in a long time, if ever.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »
just fyi, competitive gaming is way bigger in EU than in USA.
totalbiscuit has 735,914 subscribers and 270,346,600 video views on youtube (atm), and twich.tv has roughly 100-150k viewers watching streams at any given time.
Even so, the Euro scene is usually way more fragmented and reliant on local smaller communities, I firmly believe this could be used as a great way for Soldat outreach - to create smaller local country-specific communities which provide servers, IRC channels, forums and so on for their members.

Publics is boring because the fun game play element aren't there - teamwork and tactics.
This is only your own personal opinion, not an universal fact, hence why you shouldn't state it as such. For the record, I personally prefer playing Deathmatch more than CTF as it frees me from being reliant on my team, or being responsible for my own team. Although I too enjoy the teamwork and tactics elements, I prefer playing alt route(a concept the new players don't even understand these days in Soldat, ha ha ha! :().

If a player drops soldat just because of graphics... then so be it, the graphics won't change in a long time, if ever.
Why are you against the idea of improving the game visuals? Don't you think the native resolution of 640x480 should really be changed to something more modern, along with GUI refresh for more usable one? Don't you think such updates alone would make Soldat much more appealing to casual public players and thus promote Soldat for others?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 02:18:45 pm »
Soldat is x480, there's 16:9 and 16:10 options available, increasing it does not seem like a high priority for the devs. I personally don't see a problem with the GUI... it has everything you need, while not being butt-ugly.
Visuals would probably make the game more appealing, but the graphics just won't change in a long time.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »
Visuals would probably make the game more appealing, but the graphics just won't change in a long time.
What makes you believe so? At the simplest, it would require scaling the graphics up and then fine tuning them as needed. The code changes are less trivial, but at simplest it would require changing a single line of code - if things would be done well, which they certaily aren't. In the past, it has been argued that problem with changing the native resolution has been the fact that all graphics would need to be redone and as such it would be too much effort. Such claim is utter bullshit, we have dozens of modders who would do such stuff voluntarily. As I mentioned, at simplest it would be about upscale and fine tuning.

GUI has lots of problems, for example the server browser(the most important tab) could really benefit from being redone and having a higher resolution.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »
This stuff is getting more and more offtopic. I wouldn't mind if you could continue in a new thread with your "who is right topic" and keep this stuff here Steam related.

That said: Thanks Clawbug for the info there is some truth to it. If you want we can discuss what Soldat's current Goals should be, make a thread and I'll join.

To stay Steam related:
I will try to get Soldat on Steam but let's see how the first games will do first and add Soldat when the next version is out.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 05:36:13 pm »
This discussion didn't drift off-topic, it was always about steam greenlight and what goals should be achieved before the game is submitted.

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »
Soo are you guys gonna submit to greenlight?

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 06:21:20 pm »
It hasn't launched yet.

And by the way, Steam is allowing devs to submit game concepts. That's right, games that don't even exist yet. I don't think Soldat has anything to worry about.

Can I post my game concept or early builds?

Absolutely! We encourage you to post information about your game as early in the development process as you are comfortable with. Greenlight will let you define whether you are posting your game as a concept/early build or as a playable game that is nearing completion.

We ask that you only define your game as 'playable game' if you have a playable build that demonstrates the gameplay mechanics and at least one level of your game. Otherwise, please classify your submission as 'concept' until its far enough along that the community can reasonably evaluate the mechanics, scope, and style of your game. Either way, you will probably get great feedback and a good start in building a community of fans around your game.

Also, it doesn't matter when Soldat is submitted
What happens if my game never gets accepted?

Your game will remain on Greenlight unless you decide to take it down.

What if I don't want to announce my game early but I still want to be on Steam?

Once a game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, it doesn't take long to get it launched on Steam, so feel free to hold off on posting to Greenlight until you're ready to announce.

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »
Well I mean it's launching in the next threee days I was just asking if they INTEND to submit it

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50:41 pm »
Posting too early, especially when it comes to an old and dying game could be fatal. I think shoozza is smart enough to hold off the soldats submission till after the auto-updater is implemented.

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
  • Scripting beginner, mapper&owner of BCB servers.
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 11:23:10 pm »
Make soldat finally a "bugfree" game, also in the mod "Special Operations 2" it allows you to choice for Alpha and Bravo different gostek types and you can choose them on start of Soldat.
Same mod, it allows you to choose between 2-3 diffent weapons each default weapon, which is fun and just awesome^^

For myself, i think i would've stoped soldat since years, if it wouldnt have so much stuff i can change always for my likes^^
But like clawbug sayd, the game is broken you need to research alot in forums to make it run (on new pc etc) and the same counts for the mods, theres dozens of cool ones in this forum, but most player dont know about it and also dont know how to install corectly or whatever.

Like in KAG, you got as registred user big customization ability, i think that could make soldat more atractive again, also if then finaly after a polished soldat version a big advertising would start (also then could soldat get added to steam maybe), i think the playerbase could be increased alot, i think that do alot people here think too, else i couldnt understand how so much people still would play/work for the game.

Also, i dont mean this customization right now serverside (it means just your own soldat look for you personally to customize)

Sooo, will this happen?
And maybe maybe once all the customization serverside, like it was planed for LD, customizable soldiers would just be awesome^^

Sorry for my bad english and its propably a little offtopic^^

BCB-Clan Page
You also can find clan BCB on our servers.

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 05:21:45 am »
one thing you could do to improve on the datedness is rework the default interface if that's bothering you

also, the weapon balance is just fine ginn can go fuck himself if he's too shitbad to learn to play against spas and ruger

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 11:37:20 am »
Idk why the fuck you're all suddenly saying soldat is broken. I played soldat for over 8 years now and I sure as hell never thought it was broken obviously the biggest current issue is an anti-cheat which we desperately need. And the auto updater would make things a lot easier for the devs apprently so that'd  be nice for fixing bugs faster but its an old game it isnt fucking broken.

Look at some of these games they're crazy and this is the front page!

In my personal opinion I think soldat has a much better chance of getting voted in before Octodad or The Legeng of Knightwasher...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:42:24 am by Falcon12 »

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »
well, i for myself meaned that broken like this, it isnt broken like you cant play, but its still not finish!

Also, just today when we played on zabijaka's teammatch server, i've eaten (without any server or player lags, server and player ~50 ping) 3 m79 bullets in a row... i remember eats ever existed, but i've never seen that much eats in soldat before  :o

still, i play the game allday/night long, its still a awesome game but it has STILL some annoying bugs sometimes.

Soldat forever !  ;)
BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »
Posting too early, especially when it comes to an old and dying game could be fatal. I think shoozza is smart enough to hold off the soldats submission till after the auto-updater is implemented.

Did you not see my post? Seriously? It does not matter when Soldat is posted. At all.

This is from Steam:

What happens if my game never gets accepted?
Your game will remain on Greenlight unless you decide to take it down.

edit: lawl got rid of the screenshot.

So how exactly would it be fatal? All we need is to get people to vote for it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:14:53 pm by RafiPZ »

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 10:56:53 pm »
people generally don't look twice. If the game is broken the first time they look at it, they won't ever try it again, even if it's fixed later on.

Offline Falcon12

• Major(1)
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 12:53:40 am »
Broken is just not the correct word. Broken implies that it doesn't work and clearly soldat does.

There is one HUGE glaring issue of the anti-cheat

And soldat has fewer eats then I've ever seen and they're just part of the game, of all online multiplayer games its called the internet

I'm all for holding off submission until we can prevent people from cheating by just googling, but other than that I personally see no other reason. Steam makes it quite clear that you don't get turned down you just don't get voted in. In other words it's not a pass fail test.

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
    • BCB-Forum
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:52 am »

Falcon12 - "And soldat has fewer eats then I've ever seen and they're just part of the game, of all online multiplayer games its called the internet"

WAIT, FEWER? that means you say it has lesser eats?
You didnt play 1.6.3.... sorry, if you say that, you clearly didnt.

Also, tell me in which game you can survive 3 direct m79 hits?

Sorry, but the eat's have become annoying this soldat version... im just here to say that, so that this once gets fixed.

BCB-Clan Page

BCB-Soldier till i die!