Author Topic: Total Kommado: Sci-Fi Soldat Mod  (Read 7827 times)

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
Total Kommado: Sci-Fi Soldat Mod
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:56:52 pm »
Hi all,

I've just release "Total Kommando", a Soldat mod that had previously been the staple (and private) LAN game of choice amongst many of the games programming students at the University of Derby.

Total Kommando is an intense action mod for the already intense downloadable game Soldat, featuring an array of outlandish yet distinctive weaponry. Now that it's come together quite nicely, is all balanced and has all the bugs ironed out, we thought it'd be nice to let other people join the action. Servers will be hosted on a regular basis in future, and we'll endeavour to keep you up to date with the times and addresses of the servers so that new players may join us!

We have a ModDB profile at this address, along with the compulsory screencaps;
http://mods.moddb.com/7741/total-kommando/

As well as the basic website over here, which will later house server details;
http://sheelabs.gamemod.net/about_tk.php

Many thanks!

AmberZ

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
Re: Total Kommado: Sci-Fi Soldat Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:58:29 pm »
Um, seems to be technically sound, but the Interface-gfx are WAY too small, and need to have detail, so we know what they're supposed to look like.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:11:59 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Originally we never bothered to change the weapons graphics in the menus because it wasn't necessary for us to play it.

But, seeing as we decided to make it available to anyone that wants to play it, I thought it prudent to match up the ingame sprites to their relevant slots on the UI. The exact same sprites are used because it's easier to match them up to their game-side counterparts - as the weapon designs themselves have only ever existed as game sprites, there also isn't anything that they're supposed to look like - other than the ingame sprites..

They'll look quite small in the shots, and they are a bit smaller than the Soldat standard, but you can quite quickly get used to it, and very easily recognise each weapon as they're quite distinctive in comparison to one another.

:)

Offline Iridescent

• Soldier
  • Also known as Eoi
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 04:26:01 am »
Woo, you listened to my advice. Well I really like the mod.
Even though its hard to see the weapons on the menu I see where you're coming from and all you guys at uni know what the guns are. However my advice is to make them bigger. Maybe not make them look awesome, just make them bigger. I don't really mind how they ar now though.
No animated signatures
Rememer that people

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:24:34 am »
A whole website? ROFL xD

im gonna try this when I get home : P

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:28:29 am »
Well I might just have to spend some time cleaning up those sort of things then, if that's the way people would prefer it. There's a few other new changes I've decided I'd like to put in place anyway, so a new version is probably in order. I'll have to work out exactly what a "Hyper Rifle" is actually supposed to look like then I suppose?

It's not really a whole website, it's just a couple of pages plugged into the main site - the real purpose is just to keep server information online, and of course provide a download link - hence why the site is nothing special. You'll notice that the other projects on there include more advanced 3d stuff, such as our in-house OpenGL graphics engine/game (CUBE vs SPHERE) and 3d mod projects :)

Date Posted: August 22, 2006, 07:42:50 AM
This better?

http://mods.moddb.com/gallery/image/47137/

I'm also now reworking the "Team 2" Gosteks :)

Offline Iridescent

• Soldier
  • Also known as Eoi
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 11:41:44 am »
You don't need to know what a 'real' one looks like, just what you think it looks like in-game.
And thats friggin' awesome, far better than what I'm making now.
Lovely. Looks all in place. Very nice mod.
No animated signatures
Rememer that people

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 01:13:07 pm »
Yes, much better.  You see, a little bit of work goes a long way.  XD
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 04:04:19 pm »
You say that like it's the cosmetic changes that matter most..

Offline Iridescent

• Soldier
  • Also known as Eoi
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 05:42:46 pm »
They actually tend to matter the most.
A lot of people play with modded weapons but original weapons.ini
This is because online most people use the original weapons.ini as well. But whenever I make I mod I make sure both are working and fine.
No animated signatures
Rememer that people

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 05:43:38 pm »
Where the hell is the pic?

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 05:47:15 pm »
In the links - as it says in the first post.

The aim of the mod however was never cosmetic. It's all about the way it plays - hence why it's distributed as a complete package and not a set of sprites and a weapons ini :)

Offline Iridescent

• Soldier
  • Also known as Eoi
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 03:36:45 am »
So are a lot of mods. I'm not putting down your work in anyway. I'm just saying that a lot of people would use your mod to play online. Which then negates your weapons.ini. However in offline mode it would be your mod.
At uni how many people play the game? or do you use bots as well?
No animated signatures
Rememer that people

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 08:18:21 am »
We generally play small deathmatches of four or five people between lectures, but every so often we have a few more players and boot up a team game of sorts. If the mod is played online, there's a list of servers that are going to go up and be listed on the website, so that the modified weapons.ini can be put into use. I'm going to try and keep a dedicated server running (maybe two in future) for most of the week that can be joined by anyone with the mod, and list the details on the website - that'll start running towards the end of september if all goes to plan.

I'm working on a second release of the mod with all of the suggested changes and alterations I've been given anyway. The main thing I'm working on now is just getting a pile of mod-exclusive maps in the works.

If anyone just wants to use the sprites and play the regular game online, well that's up to them, although I've never been a fan of that as having different graphics to that of your opponents as that can set up some weird sync problems, where hit detection is concerned and where player visibility comes into account.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 01:14:30 pm »
The aim of the mod however was never cosmetic. It's all about the way it plays - hence why it's distributed as a complete package and not a set of sprites and a weapons ini :)

I hear that.  To be honest, I've never made a mod that didn't play differently.  And my new zombie hunter mod will play VERY differently.  But still, a good graphic conversion should never be neglected.

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 07:57:24 pm »
I thought I'd be cheeky and post a shot from a map in progress, built exclusively for the mod :)

Offline Anubis

• Camper
  • The End is Near
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 09:06:49 pm »
interestin lookin map even tho it ant finished i like how it's gettin i would like to see what it's final outcome will be

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 02:15:15 pm »
We generally play small deathmatches of four or five people between lectures, but every so often we have a few more players and boot up a team game of sorts. If the mod is played online, there's a list of servers that are going to go up and be listed on the website, so that the modified weapons.ini can be put into use. I'm going to try and keep a dedicated server running (maybe two in future) for most of the week that can be joined by anyone with the mod, and list the details on the website - that'll start running towards the end of september if all goes to plan.

I'm working on a second release of the mod with all of the suggested changes and alterations I've been given anyway. The main thing I'm working on now is just getting a pile of mod-exclusive maps in the works.

If anyone just wants to use the sprites and play the regular game online, well that's up to them, although I've never been a fan of that as having different graphics to that of your opponents as that can set up some weird sync problems, where hit detection is concerned and where player visibility comes into account.

You won't need the mod to join the game..

And the map looks horrible
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 08:43:14 am »
You will need the mod to join the game. I'm deliberately setting up the dedicated server in such a way that you will.

Would you mind being constructive and telling me why the map looks horrible?

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 09:41:39 am »
I think he means that it doesn't have enough details.  Try adding scenery or some interesting polygon elements (IE: painful, healing, slick, etc).

Offline ambershee

• Major(1)
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 12:24:31 pm »
Well it *is* a work in progress - the finished version will be littered with crates, barrels, debris, and the rest. It's taking a very long time, as you can probably imagine, as it needs to be sprited piece-by-piece.

Offline Gabe

• Major(1)
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 03:39:02 am »
The download is quite fast, on this small little forum. There are several mods, but this one is quite special. Things like this always happen... IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE!

Sorry. I downloaded it, but I haven't tried it, however, the screenshots look great.

Offline ANdro!d

• Camper
  • My ingame name is: t0XsiCk SprAyER
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 09:16:36 am »
Such a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautifull mod ! I'm Gonna applaud you.
Check the fucking rules on sigs.

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 05:32:52 am »
Not really my cup-o-tea but I love the interface (little cartoonish guys) funny... 

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 07:39:16 pm »
Nice sci-fi mix with pickups from Doom and some crazy weapons
Not really my cup-o-tea but I love the interface (little cartoonish guys) funny...
I think this is Freaky interface by Sir`DeL