Author Topic: Two minor suggestions for the server and the lobby  (Read 836 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Two minor suggestions for the server and the lobby
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:49:25 am »
1. Ability to change the flag shown in lobby for the server. Make it a server-side option instead of GeoIP based. For many people the flag represents the intended country of the server, while in reality it only represents an interpretation of the approximate location of the physical server based on it's IP address, in practice it should just represent the country where the server is being hosted. This does not work out well, as such it being a server-side option would fill the purpose much better.

2. The maximum ping setting in server's config should or at least could also be used to hide the server from people with higher ping. Say I have the Max_Ping setting set to 100 on my server, then, for people who have over 100 ping on my server the server should not be shown to them in the lobby in the first place, because they will get ping kicked anyway. Since the Max_Ping setting is/can be used to restrict the sever for people with little lag, I don't see a reason why such logic couldn't be applied by simply hiding the server from the lobby for the high-ping players.

As an additional note/question, could it be possible to use the high resolution timer for the ping checks, rather than making ping based on ticks? While this would not really change anything in terms of the way the game works internally, I think it'd be far superior to actually know whether your ping is 34-36 on the server rather than it being shown to be 50 most of the time and dropping down to 33 on rare occasions.
Fight! Win! Prevail!