Author Topic: Idea regarding barrett bullets  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Arrow/Freeman

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
Idea regarding barrett bullets
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »
Ok so, as we all know barretts are mostly used in public servers and sometimes in a gather. Its a rare occasion to see a barrett user in the competetive scene.
What if the barrett gave some kind of tactical advantage like being able to pierce through thin walls killing or taking damage to the opponent standing behind it?

This would open new possibilities like  taking down the EFC camping in the base or running in circles, weakening enemies etc.

What do you think about this idea?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: Idea regarding barrett bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:04:22 pm »
Let the walls be walls
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:07:40 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:16:10 pm »
retarded and rett is good as it is now except for bink

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Fujifabric

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • richter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
I know what OP means,

In a 3d game you'd have the advantage to really look from far away and get a precise shot, often one hit kill... but compared to a regular FPS, in Soldat the maps are much smaller, with fewer places to hide and with most of the action happening in face to face encounters. There's been people saying that the bink against autos is completely null at times, and while that's true, it's not really that much of an advantage or otherwise people would use Barrett a lot more in the competitive scene and that's not the case, so any attempt to diminish Barrett's features, specially against other weapons, would make it more unusable.

I believe people use it more in public servers because it's 'fun'...  and I'm not denying that being one-hit-kill is another important part but many autos combined with grenades can kill almost as fast too, not to mention that in theory the auto should be dealing enough bink to make the Barrett user miss their one shot... but yeah, using the weapon is quite fun and challenging,  and that explains a bit why servers like Oneshots and SnS are so popular. (some people here have told me that they feel the game in these servers be more fast paced than the regular ctf game)

So I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for the Barrett and with the variables to tweak, and the limitations of the game, increasing power could be beneficial imo; It won't make the Barrett too overpowered because it's already one-hit-kill but causing additional damage would be a nice feature... maybe the walls part is a bit too much and that involves more than just changing the weapon balance and I don't think it's a good idea.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:48:45 am »
The reason why you don't see Barretts in competitive scene is 1) it's unreliable 2) most played maps are so small that you get killed before you get a chance to shoot Barrett.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:09 pm »
Balance of Barret is good at the moment imo. It is so powerful, that with some luck you can kill two players with one shot. It's powerful enough to shot through small walls.
Latency and time of reloading between two shots is enough big to make it challenging in use. If you miss, you can only count on your secondary weapon, nades or your reflex and skills in fast moving and dodging. Especially when there is out of nades and you haven't time to reload LAW.

I prefer playing with two Barrets (one picked up instead LAW, which I drop after first use). It is challenging to, but very fun and powerful style.

I think Barret has perfect balance at the moment.
Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+