Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-08-19) Autoupdater concept  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Devlog update (2012-08-19) Autoupdater concept
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:59:05 pm »
Posted? Just in time? Oh great ;)

Hey community!

This week I worked on the updater for Soldat and Soldatserver so this will be about me only.
Falcon is working on the Scriptcore but didn't finish his stuff yet so can't write about that.

So there was a rather long discussion with a few people on our IRC channel (#soldat.devs) which gave me some ideas how the stuff should work.
As I didn't finish anything for the updater yet, I'll just tell you how I think the updater should work and you can give me some feedback on that if you want to.

I believe it would be best if the updater would update the client and server on restart automatically without asking.
As some people don't want to update Soldat in certain situations like during clan wars and league games there will be an option to disable it completely.

To make sure people who update are able to join servers the server updater will restart soldaserver on map change and when it's empty.
Players on the server will get informed of this to avoid surprises.
Something like "The server will update after this map, make sure you restart soldat to get the updates as well" will be shown.

There will be an option to disable autoupdates for admins with /autoupdate off and enable it again with /autoupdate on
The soldat.ini will also get an autoupdate=1 entry.
Autoupdates will be enabled by default on both server and client.

This solution will be hopefully good enough for most of the people.
Enabled autoupdates by default and the automatically updating servers will make it easier for players to use the new version without waiting for servers to catch up.
Serveradmins don't have to manually update their servers and save time.

For uses there will be no annoying popups and installers. I will just update it and run Soldat.
People who dislike the autoupdate functionality can disable it. And use old versions forever.

Since the autoupdater will download executables among other files, it needs to make sure the files are actually from us and this cannot be abused by people who hacked the server or mess with your internet. That's where I got stuck. I know how it should work but need to convince Delphi to do it ;)

Ah and before I forget it: Once you have the new version you will be able to update from any version to the latest without downloading multiple installers.

I'm looking forward to your feedback. Did I forget something? Do you like it? What could be improved?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:11:20 pm by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
Re: Devlog update (2012-08-19) Autoupdater concept
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:09:46 pm »
I wonder what horror will happen on server with shared binary
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:49:06 pm »
I personally like to be informed when there is a new update. Maybe on the exit screen you can say e.g. "Update will be applied next time Soldat is started." text. Even though this doesn't guarantee that the exiter (exitee maybe? is there a real word for this - the thing that exits) will see the message, it would be nice. Or maybe informing on start with e.g. "Soldat has been updated to version 1.6.4." in the startup choose-your-profile/exit screen. Or both times. This would at least let users know that 'some things, possibly gameplay, may have changed in this version of Soldat from the last'.

Maybe even have the text behave as a link to a news post about the update. That would be neat. I would probably not use the link personally though.

Aside: for the quit update message, specifying the version which the game will be updated to may be a bad idea since it could be false. In the case where a user quits with Soldat saying there is an update for e.g. 1.6.4, and then the user does not get on Soldat for a while so there are more updates than the one, when returning to Soldat, it could be updated to a version newer than 1.6.4.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:04:49 am »
soldat needed this for a long time, the process of players tuning up to the new version was always painfully long and complicated. I wouldn't even mind if there was no option to disable it.
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:43:55 am »
Looks like a great plan, let's all hope it will turn out great and without bugs.

Im chill like that

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:23:09 am »
I wonder what horror will happen on server with shared binary

It certainly can be convenient to run a bunch of soldat servers using the same symlinked binary, especially if the binary is immutable (chattr +i) so if any of them are running malicious scripts they can't mess with it.

If you just turn off autoupdating (as shoozza mentioned would be possible in the ini) that functionality would still be feasible.

I don't really go with that approach though with my kagrentals because the kag server always updates itself. To prevent servers from clashing with each other, I have each of them running as their own user in their own chroot jail, which is probably the most secure way of running game servers when you know that they might be altered to be malicious.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:25:10 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56:58 pm »
I like the way Spotify does this; it's almost the same as you mentioned, except there will be a message when you start: "There is an update available. Restart Soldat to install it."
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:41:34 am »
Sounds good! Could the server admins get a command to manually run the autoupdater when the autooption is turned off? Would save quite some time when updating the clanservers :)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »
Sounds good! Could the server admins get a command to manually run the autoupdater when the autooption is turned off? Would save quite some time when updating the clanservers :)
you could update the server like this:
enable autoupdater
shutdown the server (if you have a auto restart script)

or alternatively do this:
enable autoupdater
kick everyone
set password (to prevent rejoin)
enable autoupdater

after update and restart:
disable autoupdater
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:00:29 pm by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:44:21 am »
Hey Shoozza, can I ask why I am wasting my life with this post? Can you not get it through your thick head that you are better than me? God you must be so genius so smart must be like you wish I was like smart like you. Oh well, fags are gonna fag, dogs are gonna bark and soldat players are gay I LIKE TO SPOUT MEMES I LIKE TO SPOUT MEMES I LIKE TO I AM FUNNI YET?...so what's your next punnishment for me...hahah innuf os si tihs siht

Hey I got one for you on next weeks soldat development blog..."The Death of a Soldat" by Arthur miller...its my favorite play I've ever been to, I really relate to Biff.

* Shit toilets
* Shit paper
* Shit poop
* Games GAMING GAMES!
* Nobody plays nth dimensional game from the (2n*-1)*1000+70s

Now if you can incorporate that into a blog like you have already done numerous times I will give you a THUMBS UP! How does that sound?  :)

Yours sincerely,

Scarface xoxo *kisses are gross dude*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:29:08 pm by Smegma »
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:00 am »
(...)
* Nobody plays a one dimensional game from the 70s
(...)
It is actually two dimensional.

But anyway I would prefer to see a completely new Soldat game with sideview 3d graphics. lighting effects etc would be awesome.
Of course with the almost same gameplay experience with same ingame physics.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03:23 am »
It'd be hard to make 3d side view maps. Editor too.
Although i like the idea.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:04:59 am »
its not even from the 70s lol epic fail

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:59:39 pm »
@scarface
Then follow your train of thought and stop visiting these shit forums.

Im chill like that

Offline VinceBros

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 01:25:40 pm »
Well if he replied, that is because he's still interested in it.. He's on the right track, anger is nearer from love than ignorance.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:15 pm »
But anyway I would prefer to see a completely new Soldat game with sideview 3d graphics. lighting effects etc would be awesome.

Super smash brothers melee comes to mind.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Tehbugerz0r

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 12:47:58 am »

Super smash brothers melee comes to mind.

Did you say Melee because you'd expect the graphics to be at that level or simply because it's gameplay 10x better than the other two?

To be honest I think the 2.5D idea isn't a good one, it just sounds like something that would be interesting for 20 minutes and then become completely unimportant. Just like in SSB. 2D graphics are far more compatible too, there are people out there with really old computers. Also same gameplay + same physics = same lasting appeal.

I think the cons such as lag, harder map making and harder modding easily outweigh the pro.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:50:24 am by Tehbugerz0r »

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 01:57:04 am »
Hey smegma, you mutagen x, nice one...I bet you had fun doing that you sadcase. Get a life L00S3RS...can't believe u frogs still go on this...

Must be the last in line....

TWO EYES FROM THE EAST
ITS THE ANGEL OR THE BEAST
AND THE ANSWER LIES
BETWEEN THE GOOD AND BAD

WE SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH
WE COULD DIE UPON THE TOOTH
BUT THE THRILL OF JUST THE CHASE
IS WORTH THE PAIN

WE'LL KNOW FOR THE FIRST TIME
IF WERE EVIL OR DIVINE
WERE THE LAST IN LINE, YEAH
WERE THE LAST IN LINE
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:55:07 am by Smegma »
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 02:57:38 am »
Hey smegma, you newgen fag nice one...I bet you had fun doing that you sadcase. Get a life L00S3RS...can't believe u fags still go on this. Must be the last sole survivors of SOULDAT. Fuckin shitcunts.
Hey! What's wrong with Norwegians?

I'm really looking forward to see how the auto-updater will work
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:59:12 am by homerofgods »

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 04:17:58 am »
You're making a complete fool of yourself.