Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-08-19) Autoupdater concept  (Read 9825 times)

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
Re: Devlog update (2012-08-19) Autoupdater concept
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 04:51:27 am »
TheOne shut the fuck up i came to these forums in 08 long before u were even around...so dont make me make you cry in front of your little cyber friends
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:16 am »
k, I see there's no use trying to talk reasonable to you, blind as you are in your hate.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 05:21:28 am »
you were dropped as a baby and clearly have not been disciplined effectively. Didn't your daddy spank you when u did something wrong? Maybe he did some other little things to you to make you feel better.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:56 am »
But anyway I would prefer to see a completely new Soldat game with sideview 3d graphics. lighting effects etc would be awesome.
Of course with the almost same gameplay experience with same ingame physics.

Super smash brothers melee comes to mind.

Did you say Melee because you'd expect the graphics to be at that level or simply because it's gameplay 10x better than the other two?

I said Melee because it's the only game in the series I've played, so I can't speak for the other ones.

Hey smegma, you newgen fag nice one...I bet you had fun doing that you sadcase. Get a life L00S3RS...can't believe u fags still go on this. Must be the last sole survivors of SOULDAT. Fuckin shitcunts.
TheOne shut the fuck up i came to these forums in 08 long before u were even around...so dont make me make you cry in front of your little cyber friends
you were dropped as a baby and clearly have not been disciplined effectively. Didn't your daddy spank you when u did something wrong? Maybe he did some other little things to you to make you feel better.

... Keep talking like that, and I'll mute/ban you temporarily. You're not someone I want to take action against, but just because the forum is mostly idle these days doesn't mean you can pretend the rules no longer apply. If this was five years ago you would have been silenced based on what you've said in this thread alone, and I'm only giving you a verbal warning for now because the context has changed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:58:02 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

13th_account

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 08:08:39 am »
If we're taking the graphics discussion then I'd rather see Soldat going for a juiced up SNES-style with detailed, colorful sprites and parallax scrolling because that's actually attainable. Making a 2.5D game look anywhere near decent requires top notch 3D artists, developers and piles of money.

An example of what I'm thinking of is Contra 4 on the DS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0_GIuWHnyQ&hd=1#t=20s

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 08:48:39 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snaionoxjos

I've always thought SMB has the style of graphics that I'd like to see in Soldat.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »
I'm saddened that the post of scarface09 was modified as it is nothing more than wasted space now.

But I'm saddened even more that you scarface09 have to come back to just troll around.

If you really want me to stop developing Soldat please use PMs in the future as it seems like posting it on the forums makes it hard for you to follow the rules.
Thanks.

@Dusty, 13th_account
Since the thread was already hijacked:
I'm not sure what our conclusion was when we discussed it but SMB seems to fit better in style than Contra 4.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

13th_account

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 03:01:50 pm »
It's fascinating that you'd say that, considering Contra was originally influenced by Predator and the Schwarzenegger oeuvre just like Soldat was, with both using realistic looking human sprites, sceneries and animations.

If we're going for a cell-shaded cartoon style then it wouldn't really seem like a Schwarzenegger movie anymore.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 04:14:22 pm »
It's fascinating that you'd say that, considering Contra was originally influenced by Predator and the Schwarzenegger oeuvre just like Soldat was, with both using realistic looking human sprites, sceneries and animations.

If we're going for a cell-shaded cartoon style then it wouldn't really seem like a Schwarzenegger movie anymore.
The main reason is that it is pixelart and quite a different style then the current one.
I want to stay close to the current style as the maps would need to be redone in pixel art style if we switched to it.
Rules

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 10:30:19 pm »
Pretty sure I'm a veteran on these forums...you can't silence a veteran

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 07:17:32 am »
Pretty sure I'm a veteran on these forums...you can't silence a veteran

Watch me.

And you're not a veteran. Anyone who came after 2007 cannot claim veteran status. People like me and Shoozza are because we've been here forever. He's been here since I think the very early 2000s and I've been here since 2004.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:19:09 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 10:48:16 am »
Please guys stay on topic.
Make a new thread if you want to discuss that veteran stuff or if you want to convince me to drop Soldat (or just pm me).

Anything else is just trolling and should not be here.
Rules

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 11:34:38 am »
As the refactoring is turning out good enough, you are starting to add new stuff (see chainsaw report), an autoupdater is required and has been a promise since ever.
The 1.6.2 version fix was a clear example for what will be avoided if this comes out; and all the servers (and players) will be kept with activity without much interruption.

The way you described seems good enough. As Denacke described, instead of having to execute 6 commands, there could be a command to update the server maybe a updateOnMapChange, which updates the server (if possible) even if the autoupdater option is off.

About scarface I don't have much to say.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:47 pm »
The refactoring isn't turning out. We just want to rest from it a bit ;)
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 11:33:45 pm »
The refactoring isn't turning out. We just want to rest from it a bit ;)
haha yeah, Shoozza told me that there are still a LOT of ugly code [retard]
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 10:56:02 am »
Hate/Troll posts will be removed from now on. Please don't reply to them just report them.
Rules