Author Topic: WIP: a TTW map  (Read 2933 times)

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
WIP: a TTW map
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »
A friend asked for a map for his mode, it's quite similar to TTW, but I am not a TTW player, not even TW hehe
I would like some guidance for this TTW map, what are the requirements, etc

This is what I have so far:
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline GhostRiderSwiss

• Camper
  • Scripting beginner, mapper&owner of BCB servers.
    • BCB-Forum
Re: WIP: a TTW map
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:53:41 pm »
Looks nice, what i see alot on ttw maps is crates and such which give also a little more cover spots and look cool aswell, my 2 cents  :)

BCB-Clan Page
You also can find clan BCB on our servers.

BCB-Soldier till i die!

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 02:48:31 am »
As to the general map format, look here:
http://eat-that.org/index.php?topic=38.0

It should have waypoints and be balanced for both teams. Usually TTW maps (similar to TW) contain Trenches or holes.
It shouldn't be made too easy to defend a bunker (as you spawn in the bunker, you have an advantage to defend compared to the attacking team).
The alpha side looks fine, but if you plan to make the high rock the middle, then it would be rather hard to fight at. Either you make it a real bunker (so players spawn there), but then they are easily sprayed. If it's not a bunker, then I fear that only few conquers of that sidebunker will happen. I agree, a few more obstacles could be helpful.

You can look at these for a general idea:
http://eat-that.org/index.php?topic=198.0
NOTE: Some of these maps are still in the old format, using a text file with coordinates - your map should use the charlie spawns as in the previous link.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »
Thanks TheOne, that was very helpful!
I have one more question: are the bases conquerable?
Can I make the bases conquerable (vest + predator)?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:30:38 pm by As de Espada »

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:22:24 am »
I don't think you have to follow format from TheOne's link if it's not a map for TTW itself but for some other custom gamemode.
FYI though no, bases are not conquerable, and if you place two markers inside a bunker then one of them will simply get ignored (it's pretty hard to tell which one).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:25:47 am by FalconPL »
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:27 am »
My vote from 0-10 is ... 2.5
Its very simplye and got no athmosfere(spirit) Also Texture is pretty ugly , also the bunkers are crap really crap they look like crap they shouldn't be even be called bunkers also main bunker is crap it should be a cool powerfull bunker not that ...
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:33:41 pm »
Thank you Falcon.
@Vucgy92: I saw some videos of TTW and I agree, my bunkers currently are not bunkers
about the atmosphere, I only use default scenery and texture in my maps, so the atmosphere will also be defaultlish, which may not please you.

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:48:17 am »
I only use default scenery and texture in my maps, so the atmosphere will also be defaultlish,
Why? ???

Most TTW maps have their own sceneries for bunkers and such. Also many of them use multitexture. Those are important aspects in making the maps look good and give that special impression in game.

I'd advice you to take a close look at some of the maps in the cycle and look at the endless possibilities of both beauty and realism in custom mapmaking.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:53:52 am by NamelessWolf »

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:00:22 pm »
.. although I should add that I think you've made it impressively far without such an important thing as making sceneries and textures. You've made some nice maps. ;)