Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-11-19) Hit detection & net code fixes, plus better filenames  (Read 7857 times)

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier

Heyo!

This week I got to fix various hit detection issues. Most of them related to either piercing bullets or nades. Piercing bullets were also tweaked not to get direct damage penalties anymore, aside from their loss in speed. There was also an issue with nades being thrown in unexpected directions due to ongoing animations or actions.

As for the net code, there was an issue with the server sending out slightly incorrect aiming information to other clients - mainly a problem when fighting Minigun and chainsaw users. I also fixed the soldat.ini setting PacketRate_Adjusting=1 which was completely broken for clients. It's fine to use for 1.6.3 servers though. This setting will be activated by default on both clients and servers in the next version.

The timings when some packets were sent to the server was also tweaked to be less likely to send redundant information followed by relatively long periods without any. And I had aiming information sent out more frequently when using Minigun or chainsaw to hopefully make them more reliable. There was also a possible packet flooding issue when using MP5 or the flamer.

zakath figured out some tweaks to move more processing over to the GPU and synchronize some calculation precision between the client and server. He also fixed bug #202 by making demos always record everything. Screenshots and recorded demos were also given a new format for filenames - YYYY-MM-DD_HH-NN-SS_MAPNAME_TYPE.

E.g. 2012-11-19_12-09-59_ctf_Viet_endgame.bmp

Oh, and of course there's the usual code cleanup.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:19:55 am by 14th_account »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Good job and hope to see more tweaks to be made to netcode.

Im chill like that

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
Hey ho!
SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
what netcodes getting fixed the fuck

holy shit release! good job

Offline Vucgy92

• Soldier
  • cyklon-b is the only way
Great Work !
Choose one,
Bonecrusher

Offline mtk

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
what netcodes getting fixed the fuck

holy shit release! good job
yeah gj keep going bros

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Amazing!
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline themangokid2

• Major(1)
Good job!! :D

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
you guys are the heroes of soldat

that demo thing was definitely annoying, thanks for fixing!
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Fix for autodemos is a really nice bonus in addition to hitreg improvements. I used to record a lot of demos and had either unnecessarily long ones, or awfully short ones that didn't capture the moment I wanted to record. Once again, awesome job!
Would it be possible to change the duration of an autodemo? Also, any words on when we can check out a beta?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:15:35 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
Auto-demos record everything. There's no duration to set. As for the beta it all depends on Shoozza finishing up the auto updater.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Auto-demos record everything. There's no duration to set.

so we're not able to set specific amount of time to record anymore, for example 2 minutes back?
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
I thought I just answered that question. :P

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Auto-demos record everything. There's no duration to set.

so we're not able to set specific amount of time to record anymore, for example 2 minutes back?
For movie-makers it might make things a bit harder, but it will be good for leagues and other stuff, so overall it's the right thing to do.
We might find other solutions for helping movie-makers in their work, such as a fast backwards feature.. well see. Right now I'm just so excited about the upcomming beta, it will be one hell of a version!

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
oh well, that sucks then, even previous option was better

say i want to record a teamkill that has just happend, i press F8 and it saves entire map play? I pity the admins that need to review those demos later (myself included...)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:34:50 pm by Mittsu »
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
I don't know how demos work, but if it's just a continuous stream of raw netcode - shouldn't it be possible to just take everything that has been recorded so far, cut out the last bit and save it? Or is there a lot more to it than that?

Offline Mighty

• Camper
Keep up the good work Dev-Team :) We really appreciate your fixes, updates, tweaks and all.
xFire: macmil        e-mail: macekmil@gmail.com
My scripts: Accuracy Script       Flashbang       Punishments GUID
            CatchMe Gamemod       AntiFake
            CW System             AntiFakeGUID

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder

say i want to record a teamkill that has just happend, i press F8 and it saves entire map play? I pity the admins that need to review those demos later (myself included...)

You are aware of that it didnt actually record the last 2 minutes? it just recorded intervalls of 2 minutes so it wasnt a ringbuffer of 2 minutes.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner

You are aware of that it didnt actually record the last 2 minutes? it just recorded intervalls of 2 minutes so it wasnt a ringbuffer of 2 minutes.

yes, but i was still sure the demo won't be longer than 2 minutes and it was usually past 10-30 seconds that i needed. The previous option was surely faulty sometimes but i prefer it over the current solution.

i'm guessing it isn't possible to have soldat record everything and by pressing F8 you save past X minutes back, without intervals? (X specified in soldat.ini)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:13:06 am by Mittsu »
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead

Offline Fujifabric

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • richter
Good job! all those sync issues now fixed as shown in the past devlogs sure will make quite some difference.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
the next update will be one of the best ones =D
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
If it will ever happen. (:
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
as de espada comes with code cleanup next log

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
as de espada comes with code cleanup next log
by update I meant soldat update, not devlog update :)
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
oh i was more like hoping next soldat update would be monday

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
wooowww patch this baby up ! Good job!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline AND1

• Major
  • I like it
Nice one! :)

Offline DodsBR

• Major(1)
Waiting for beta  :P

Offline chox

• Major(1)
Fix for autodemos is a really nice bonus in addition to hitreg improvements. I used to record a lot of demos and had either unnecessarily long ones, or awfully short ones that didn't capture the moment I wanted to record. Once again, awesome job!
Would it be possible to change the duration of an autodemo? Also, any words on when we can check out a beta?
if you ask if it's possible arleady, then yes it is
open soldat.ini in your soldat directory search for those lines and set them like that
Auto_Record=1
Record_Time=99

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
if you ask if it's possible arleady, then yes it is
open soldat.ini in your soldat directory search for those lines and set them like that
Auto_Record=1
Record_Time=99
Well no, the problem is that it's unpredictable what part of the gameplay the demo saves. When autodemo records set amount of time - it stops the recording, deletes it, and starts a completely new recording. Sometimes awesome moments end up being recorded only partially if the demo decides to cut it in the process.
The new solution eliminates that problem, but it makes the other problem worse - when you end up having the cool moment being at the very end of the demo. So as it turns out, this fix unfortunately doesn't really fix anything. :/